Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  closing Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 04-23-2018 00:49
    Well, that was the saddest goodbye to a show in over 18 years of directing ... Peter and the Starcatcher is such a magical play, and my cast was such an incredible group of kids. It felt like we were in a theater company together, but more than that bc they're so young and playful and radiant .... Having a seat at this table - doing theater with teenagers who are just finding their voice and figuring out what it means to be who they are - is deeply moving and joyful and heartbreaking all at once. I felt pretty blue as I sat alone in the school's cargo van full of props and costumes to be tucked away .... But as one of my directing professors always used to say, "Onward!" Here we go - time to plan the next season!!! 💫

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: closing Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 04-28-2018 15:42
    ​Love the show and the message. Some productions just speak to you, resonate with you and change you.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: closing Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 05-02-2018 10:38
    ​I also really like this show, however I have on concern with it. And that is that the cast is mostly male. I think that Molly is the only female character. Were you able to work around that? Or do you have a ton of dudes who love theatre (let me know where I can find them if you do :)
      I'm so glad it was a rewarding experience for you as well. Our focus is often on the kids, but when you can pull your own heart strings and have a fondness for the process and a group who takes the journey together, it can be very rewarding. Kudos to you and the magic of theatre.

best:

Christopher Dwyer
    Head of Drama
    St. Vincent Pallotti High School
    Laurel, MD 20707

• 4.  RE: closing Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 05-02-2018 11:55
    Disney allows you to be "flexible" in your casting. Play the nanny as male and the sailor that likes her as female, etc.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: closing Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 05-03-2018 12:53
    As has been said, you are allowed to cast gender blind. It doesn’t matter if the actor is male or female, as long as the actor plays the character’s gender as written.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: closing Peter and the Starcatcher

Posted 05-04-2018 13:13
    Seconding all of the above about the casting of Starcatcher... We had a female Slank, they kept all the pronouns male and it was just quite accepted. We didn't try to overly make her up to be male, and it doesn't really affect the script at all. Both of our Ted and Prentiss were girls as well, they did a marvelous job.

On the other note, I too cried my eyes out packing that show up. My Peter has been my student from second grade until now (we did the show last year, so him having another year mitigated some of the crying). But overall there is something about all the talk of growing up in that show that seems to make it especially hard to do with teens. We all cried every night.

This year my same pair that played Peter and Molly are playing Tony and Maria for their last show on my stage -- needless to say, I am not prepared, and I will be the one sobbing in the front row every night.

Cassandra Shott
    Director
    Nuevo CA