Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Involving Middle School Students

Posted 08-13-2018 13:22
    For the high school musical this year, I will be casting and involving in tech several middle school students in the show as the next steps of building the program.  I know this will be well received and am excited for it.  The middle schools do not have theater programs however my high school has an established troupe.  When the middle school kiddos become our high school students and are ready to join the international thespian society, would they be able to accumulate their points from performing at the high school from when they were in middle school and put it towards their membership?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    Kristin Lundberg
    Theater Arts Teacher
    Rocky Mount NC
    kalundberg@nrms.k12.nc.us

• 2.  RE: Involving Middle School Students

Posted 08-13-2018 13:37
    As I understand it, points earned in middle school whilst a middle school student count toward their Junior Thespian points status. Yours is a slightly unique quandary, though, as it is middle school students working on a high school production. 

If the middle school you are sourcing your students from does not have a troupe, could these points they earn be enough for them to be inducted into their own junior troupe? Is there someone at the middle school who would be willing to charter a junior troupe? That might be the alternative. 

Might be worth consulting the handbook...which I just tried to locate but had no luck. 

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 3.  RE: Involving Middle School Students

Posted 08-13-2018 14:00
    I have a similar situation: I am in a k-12 school and our 8th graders (who participate in the musical) are in the upper school, but cannot be members of ITS until 9th grade. We do not have a Junior troupe. I also have a few 6 & 7th graders who work on the crew. Unfortunately, the initiation requirements remain the same regardless of the level of the production.  They can earn up to 5/10 initiation points from theatre activities up through 8th grade, and the remaining initiation points they have to earn starting in 9th grade.  
    I haven't heard any complaints from the students since most other honor societies also start in 9th grade, but their initiation requirements are much more stringent. ITS is one of the only societies at my school that allows students to be inducted at the end of their 9th-grade year. 
    Anyway, maybe not what you wanted to hear, but there you go.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 4.  RE: Involving Middle School Students

Posted 08-14-2018 07:53
    First thing I would suggest is working with the middle schools to start troupes. It sounds like it would greatly benefit these students. Middle school Thespians are able to take their middle school points and apply half of them towards high school membership.

If that is impossible, since you are the director, you make the rules. One point equals 10 hours worth of work. You could give them certificates with how many hours they “worked” for you or just what role they had and how many points that is equal to. Then have them turn these back in when they apply to become a high school thespian. You can use this towards their required induction points.

Hope this helps!

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Involving Middle School Students

Posted 08-14-2018 10:08
    I actually teach theater classes at both middle and high, and asked this before. The answer I got was that they can grandfather 5 points into the high school program. This gets them very excited.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 6.  RE: Involving Middle School Students

Posted 08-14-2018 14:40
    ​In the Middle School guidelines, 5 of their points can be carried into high school at the High School teachers' discretion.  I have had many students take advantage of this.  I think this strikes a good balance as it doesn't demean the points the high school students are receiving  who didn't have this opportunity. Our students go on to several different  high schools and the teachers there have different specifications.  Some don't allow freshmen to be inducted even if they've earned the full points.

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 7.  RE: Involving Middle School Students

Posted 08-16-2018 13:40
    Hi, Kristin

I agree with the others that the ideal would be for their middle schools to have theatre programs and Junior Thespian troupes of their own, but we play the hand we're dealt. Hats off to you for giving them opportunities. It benefits them and provides your high school program with a predictable stream of prepared and motivated theatre arts students. Hopefully the demand you're creating will grow and result in new middle school theatre programs.

Because your middle schoolers don't have theatre programs in their schools and are participating in your high school theatre program, you do have some options for integrating them into your Thespian program. At your discretion you could consider them de facto Thespian apprentices and award them points on a provisional basis. Here are some things to consider:

1. Those point awards would only be guaranteed by you in your own program. If a student advanced to a different high school than yours, it would be up to that troupe director to decide if the work would be eligible for points. That's a big benefit of official Junior Thespian induction. All Thespian troupes are expected to start Junior Thespians off with half of the points needed for high school induction, normally 5 out of 10, the equivalent of 50 out of 100 hours of quality work. Without official induction those point awards are at the troupe director's discretion.

2. Regardless of the school, the students will only be eligible for induction into a high school troupe in or after grade 9.  As Elana and Valerie noted, some troupe directors won't induct otherwise eligible students in grade 9. That's an acceptable, local eligibility requirement.

3. At least half of the points needed for induction should be earned in the school's theatre program. The other half can be a combination of work in outside programs, including other school, community, professional, youth, private academy, etc. Work done by middle school students in your program would be treated the same way. Specifics are determined by the troupe director.

4. A big advantage to having an official Junior Thespian troupe is that it provides a built in, progressive system for recognizing and rewarding middle school student work and achievement, i. e., induction followed by additional point stars ratings. If middle school students are provisional Thespian apprentices, that structure isn't available. You could create a recognition system in your own program, though.  I really like Carolyn Little's suggestion to award them physical certificates for hours worked, roles performed, etc., and allow them to redeem the certificates for Thespian points when they reach grade 9. Kudos to Carolyn for that creative and elegant solution!

I hope this helps. If you have additional questions on this or any other troupe management issue, please feel free to contact me.

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association