Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Director's Notes in Program

Posted 05-01-2016 17:55

Good Afternoon! 

We are enjoying an incredible sunny, warm day in Seattle.  I hope that everyone's weekend is going well.

I would like to start incorporating director's notes into my performance programs this spring, for our musical, "Once Upon a Mattress."  However, I haven't written them before and I am not sure how to go about it.  Do I tell the audience the history of the show?  Do I write about why I chose the musical?  I am sure that many directors do this his or her own way, but I would love a little guidance to get some ideas.

Thanks so much!

Ginny

------------------------------
    Ginny Schreiber
    Forest Ridge School
    Bellevue, WA

• 2.  RE: Director's Notes in Program

Posted 05-02-2016 06:16

Ginny,

I think it depends on what you want to focus on.  If it is a well-known production, you likely need to provide little history, unless it is a factoid or two that you think your audience may not know.

What I like to focus on is why this show at this time.  What motivated me to pick this show?  What about its story, its characters, or its theme really make this production worth producing at this time with these artists, and for this audience.  

In that way, I feel like I am helping set the audience up for the experience I would like them to have with the play.

Hope this helps!

Ray

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 3.  RE: Director's Notes in Program

Posted 05-02-2016 06:28

I work in a Middle School, so I use the director's notes to provide context and explain the show's relevance to the school, cast, age group,  or time. It may include why and how I selected a show (or how it selected me). As a former journalist, I've even used them to comment on school and community matters of importance, but that's another subject.  I don't use it to give history on the show unless it relates directly to a point I am trying to make about its present context. I don't want it to come off as a Wikipedia entry. I have seen other directors use it to acknowledge those who have worked on the show, but I have the rest of playbill to do that. I use the Director's Notes to communicate to the audience my vision, and explore the deeper truths and themes of the show that informed my choices. My suggestion for you is to rely on your material and students to shape what you need to convey to your audience. What is the implicit idea that you wouldn't want your audience to miss?

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 4.  RE: Director's Notes in Program

Posted 05-02-2016 08:30
    Directors notes are my best way of communicating with the community at large. Yes, why this play is part of that. How it is relevant. What was the process like All that.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 5.  RE: Director's Notes in Program

Posted 05-02-2016 09:55

Hi Virginia,

I have done both of those in the past for director's notes--some history or why I chose the show.  I think the most important thing is that you should have a compelling reason to write the notes.  What do you NEED the audience to know?  Frequently, my notes help the audience to tie the show to the drama theme that we have for the year.  I have also related how the show or rehearsal process has impacted my life or my teaching.  A little bit, it is my soapbox to preach from.

It is your opportunity to speak to the audience in your own voice. Enjoy it.

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Monument CO