Open Forum

View Only

theater department-specific fundraising

• 1.  theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 12-27-2017 18:07
    My school won't let me do much fundraising or have a parent booster club to raise money for the theater b/c any money raised needs to go into the larger pot of the school, for equity reasons (what if theater raises more money than sports? etc). So, no car washes, candy-grams, flower bulbs, no ads for the program, etc.

But, they've given me one exception: if the fundraising is done specifically in the spirit of the theater, then we can do it. I know it's a little vague and limiting but ... I have to roll with it!

I've searched this forum for fundraising ideas that are theater-specific, and I wonder if you can think of more. The ones I have in mind already are:

• singing telegrams for Valentine's Day sung by the cast members of the Spring musical
    • "Theater Showcase" or "Works in Progress" -- an evening of Improvisation or Acting Scenes, works in progress etc - tickets $5 each
    • Theater Camp for kids run by HS students
    • concessions/baked goods at a show 
    • raffle during each performance - a gift basket of donated goods + the cast serenades the lucky winner on stage 
    • show t-shirts to non-cast and crew members
    • "Adopt a Costume" - donors listed in the program
    Also .... messages, flowers, and candy to cast members at a show has been nixed by admin b/c of equity issues - what if families and friends don't have enough money to buy something for their person in the cast and that person doesn't get flowers or candy - won't they feel bad?

Thanks for any ideas!
    - Arden

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Teaching Artist, Theater
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 12-28-2017 03:33
    For most of the shows we do, I invite the local elementary schools to attend a daytime show and charge $3/student.  Our auditorium seats 500+ students and we normally need to do 3 shows to accommodate all the various schools that attend.  It's a great way to raise money and serves as a recruitment tool for the program!

Elizabeth Klipa
    Fine Arts Teacher
    Rock Hill SC

• 3.  RE: theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 12-28-2017 07:48
    We do many of the things on your list. One more to add would be a staging a haunted house in October. We do ours in the Theatre. But you can set one up anywhere. We raise quite a bit of $ , students design the rooms/scares and work the house. Great community outreach as well. We also have an improv troupe which performs several times a year. No overhead-all profit and theatre connected obviously. 

• 4.  RE: theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 12-28-2017 10:36
    I have taught high school theatre for 26 years. Most of our income is through ticket sales from shows. I have also done special shows for area schools during school days... That not only raises a little money, but generates an interest in your program. Our show proceds allow us to travel to festivals, buy awards, shirts, group meals, pay for hotels, see shows in SF. It's also good to seek out potential grants, donations, CTE (Career  Technical Eduction) funds. We are not restricted by admin...nor is there an "equity" issue. We run it like the real world. Those who work harder raise more money.... It works well for us.

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 5.  RE: theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 12-28-2017 11:10
    My school also does not allow fundraisers. Whoever heard of a Catholic school not having fundraisers? We're known for it!! We sold so many things over the years that the neighbors would pull their shades down when they saw my kids going out to play.

At this school, I've been able to disguise "activities" that I open to the school population. Any cash I get I can use while all checks go to the office.

I do a Talent Contest, winners in 5 categories got trophies. Donation Buckets, no ticket fee.

I do a Night of Musical Show Tunes ($10 ticket or $50 table reserves up to 10 seats includes coffee, dessert & show). The kids pay the Royalties for ea. Of the 20 songs.

Adult Team Trivia for $15 or $105 for table of 8. (Prizes are gift cards donated by kids & 15 Raffle baskets donated by kids draws half the proceeds.

Adopt a Song for $27, listed in program.

Adopt a Set Piece for $75 or $100, listed in program.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 12-28-2017 12:12
    First of all that is a ridiculous notion that all fundraisers need to go in a collective slush fund. Does the football team have a booster club? Most do! Anyway, all of the ideas I saw are fantastic. I would add what we do which is a 50/50 raffle at each performance. Audience members pay $1/ticket or $5 for 6 tickets then at the end we draw a winning ticket and split the proceeds with that individual. If you get good numbers as far as audiences go then this can really bring in some good money.

Stephen Ingle
    Drama Teacher
    Jefferson High School
    Jefferson, GA

• 7.  RE: theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 12-28-2017 13:00
    I forgot to add that we don't have a theater on campus and I have to rent theater spaces! A black box for a week around here costs $2500. So I do one site specific or Shakespeare-in-the-park style that doesn't cost anything. Therefore, all of my ticket sales for the black box or musical go towards paying for the theater rental. 

I like these ideas! Thank you!
    Arden

Arden Thomas
    Teaching Artist, Theater
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 8.  RE: theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 12-28-2017 15:01
    These are all fantastic ideas! I often see schools fundraise using pancake breakfasts, sponsored school dances (my mom's school is doing a ball this year for CINDERELLA and held a sock hop last year for GREASE), summer elementary camps, singing valentines, and more. One of my favorite traditions my mom does with her school is the annual lip sync battle-- the audience uses money/spare change to vote on which group they like the best!

Just as a reminder: any time you're presenting material from the show in front of an audience that isn't cast/crew/staff that's usually present for rehearsals, licensing fees are required. School assemblies and musical review showcases can be a bit tricky.

Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY
    -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 12-29-2017 17:49
    WOW!! No fund raisers including messages to the cast!  That's tough!  You might try doing free messages with a donation jar on the table, that way no one has to pay, but the cast/crew still get the positive feed back.

We did an annual Shakespeare variety show PLUS a tiny Ren Faire pre-show with booths.  All the cast and crew were in costume.  They sold wreaths and fairy wands that they had made along with other crafts, posed for photos and played games (for a small fee). They addressed everyone as "My Lord" and "My Lady;" everyone had a GREAT time! We usually took in $75-$100 per show - not bad for a 30-45 minute gig!

• 10.  RE: theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 12-29-2017 12:59
    Add another performance, You already have the sets, costumes and props. The only additional cost would be the royalties. 

Then focus on marketing to fill the seats. Market to:
    • Family and friends. Create a postcard of the poster that can be handed out for posting on the refrigerator
    • Your own school. Lunch time promotions. Morning announcements. 
    • theatre departments in other schools. Offer a student discount
    • senior-living facilities. Talk to the activities director. They can sometime bring whole buses of seniors
    Check out my course on Marketing the Arts at https://www.theatrefolk.com/drama_teacher_academy

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 11.  RE: theater department-specific fundraising

Posted 01-08-2018 08:07
    These are all great ideas, and we do many of them! To boost ticket sales, see if you can get faculty to offer extra credit for attendance. Language arts teachers are usually good with this, and depending on the show you might get a tie in with Social Studies, History, etc...

We did our first-ever summer camp last year, and it was a big hit. I teach in middle school and opened the camp to grades 4-9. I hired counselors and instructors and paid  them competitively for camps in our area, and we still made a little over $3000 in our first year, for a 5-day day camp. It was open to any students, but our marketing targeted our feeder elementaries, and I got to meet a bunch of our incoming 6th graders. 

Best of luck to you!

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL