Open Forum

View Only

First musical

• 1.  First musical

Posted 07-15-2014 15:31
    I will be starting a new job with a larger drama program than I've had to date and am thrilled.  Finally I have a chance to do a musical, something I know the administration would like.  

Can you recommend a relevant musical that would be good for my first foray into high school musical direction?  I've been in many musicals and directed adults twice, but want to be realistic when approaching high school musical direction.

Any tips or advice you'd like to offer would be welcome as well.

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------
    Tisha Donnelly
    Vallejo CA

• 2.  RE: First musical

Posted 07-15-2014 18:30
    Trisha,
    Congratulations. I highly recommend "Changing Minds". I chose that musical for my 1st year of teaching. The URL to access it is: http://www.theatricalrights.com/changing-minds.
    Good luck with selecting your musical.

Dylan G Bollinger
    Director of Theatre, Harlem High School
    Harlem GA

• 3.  RE:First musical

Posted 07-15-2014 20:04
    I would wait and see what you are working with. I almost always base my musical decisions on the group of kids I know I will have. Are they singers? Are they dancers? Are there some seniors that really need an opportunity to be featured? Do they have a lot of experience with musicals, or are they just getting used to the demands? What is your goal? What have they done recently? What is your budget? A few years ago I moved from a school with very small funds and very little support for the arts to an almost brand new school with decent support for the arts, but that had a shaky start (I was the third drama teacher the school had and it was only four years old, they were also on the 4th choir teacher and 2nd band teacher). I did Hairspray because a) I wanted name recognition and something to get excited about, b) I had the diversity to cast it c) I had singers that could move and a young energetic choreographer that had just graduated from the school d) I wanted to establish that I was going to create a big program with big name shows e) They hadn't really done a contemporary show at the school - ever. To me, it's all about picking the right show for the right group. ------------------------------------------- Heather Brandon Bakersfield CA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: First musical

Posted 07-16-2014 06:23
    Congrats on the new gig!  I would second the recommendation to wait and see what you've got to work with.  You may also want to look at what shows the school has done recently and feel out any unspoken expectations around what the school musical "is and should be" from the community.  If the school has done crowd pleasers in the past, I may not want to rock the boat that first year.  If they haven't done anything in years, maybe name recognition is the way to go?  Or it may be a chance to define the direction you want to take with the program, and do a more thematically relevant title.

On a related note, several of the programs in my area hold off announcing the musical until some sort of fundraiser/auction/potluck event later in the Fall.  The students put together entertainment performed during the meal and the big ticket item (if an auction) is getting to unveil the poster for the Spring musical.  People stay the whole time to find out what the show will be and you get to evaluate student talent and commitment as they prepare the entertainment.  Just a thought!

Break a leg this year!

Benjamin Stuart
    Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher
    Seattle Public Schools
    Seattle WA

• 5.  RE: First musical

Posted 07-16-2014 15:18
    The most important thing to remember is that you are setting the standard for what you'd like to see the program look like- your values, your ideas. When I got to the school where I'm currently teaching, there was an expectation that seniors would get leads, that there were "musical kids" and "non-musical kids", that the school only did name shows. I believe in the importance of the ensemble; I believe that casting is based on auditions (not seniority) and appropriateness of an actor for a role; I believe there's value in doing a wide range of shows- popular, obscure,drama, comedy, traditional, modern. So, whatever you choose, make sure that you're telling the community what you believe in. 

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 6.  RE: First musical

Posted 07-16-2014 19:11
    For those of us who are true musical theatre lovers, I know that High School Musical seems like the worst, cheesiest musical ever, but now is a great time to consider it for a first musical, especially if your school hasn't had a musical in several years. Keep in mind that all of the little seven-year-old girls who loved the movie all those years ago are now your sophomores, juniors, and seniors. They spent their childhoods dreaming of being in this show. They know every word to all the songs, all the dance moves, and believe it or not, they still love it. As far as directing the show goes, it's relatively simple to do. You don't need a complicated set or costumes; you don't need trained dancers; the music is very singable for teens; the content won't offend anyone within the community . . . the list goes on. The downside is it's kind of expensive. We did the show in 2008. I wasn't exited at first because of all the HSM mania that was everywhere you turned. I was over it. But it turned out to be such a fun show to work on, and every kid had a wonderful experience. We got huge crowds because of the name recognition and made a lot of money on it. I have at least a dozen girls in my program right now who tell me they came to see that show in 2008 and because of that memory they signed up for my class when they got to high school, in spite of never attending another musical in the interim. Just my thoughts, ------------------------------------------- Jennifer Bunnell Pensacola FL -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE:First musical

Posted 07-17-2014 20:52
    Tisha, I agree with the folks who are saying it's a good idea to see who you have before making a final decision, but I also understand wanting to read & listen to thing now so you have a few ideas for when you can make that decision. I second the suggestion of High School Musical. I directed it in 2008, and I did not expect to enjoy it, but it turned out really well! A show I haven't yet seen anyone mention is Schoolhouse Rock Live. It's written for 6 actors but can be expanded. It's a fun revue show, and can be done on a really reasonable budget. Congratulations on your new position & break a leg! ------------------------------------------- Jeremy Williams Adel GA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 8.  RE: First musical

Posted 07-17-2014 23:13

We did School House Rock a few years ago. Had a cast of over 20 and the kids and audience loved it! We made cartoon cutouts of all the props. Our set was a big logo center stage - we built ladders on each side and a platform on top to use for various songs and some bright side flats. We then used Velcro to attach all the "props" to the flats. When not in use all the props became the set. Kids created their own costumes - solid color fun bright shirts and fun hair or hats. Very accessible and very fun. Great show to incorporate community service. Our student council did a kiddie carnival in the lobby and we raised money for kids in crisis.
    Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 9.  RE: First musical

Posted 07-19-2014 07:11
    Thanks, Jeremy and Jennifer. I'll watch High School Musical. As Jeremy guessed, I'm just trying to watch and read as much as I can before I meet my kids. The real decisions can only be made after i have an idea of what they can do and who they are. Question, Highs School Musical would have been huge in 2008, do you think those kids who loved it in their youth, might consider it cheesy now? I'll watch it asap and that might answer my question. tisha ------------------------------------------- Tisha Donnelly Vallejo CA -------------------------------------------

• 10.  RE:First musical

Posted 07-18-2014 09:45
    Tisha-
    Coming off my first year after taking over our school's theatre program, I would just add that another important question is what you have in resources, not just whom you have in terms of performers. For example, at my school, we have more body mikes on paper than we have that work. Knowing your actual equipment can be a big deal.
    Another resource question that I would have is what type of support you will have from your school's faculty--band, choir, and dance instructors. They might be more eager to help you with some shows more than others, might want to test out your relationship before committing to do a musical, or might not be able help. I formed a team with a social science teacher who has an interest and talent in technical theatre that has served our students really well and gives me a needed dose of sanity at times.
    I had a lot of success with a straight play that had a small flexible cast like Schoolhouse Rock Live. I walked in knowing that I only needed a small number to pull it off but was able to augment the cast with additional performers.
    Break a leg this year!

Joshua Brady
    Menifee CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 11.  RE: First musical

Posted 07-21-2014 23:29
    Tisha, Congrats on this exciting time. Lots to do. First, definatly communicate your standards and expectations. I took over a shamble of a program three years ago. Seniors got leads, auditions were a joke, etc. They only did plays, and even the past Drama Club members were totally bashing my idea of doing a musical. They said it would never happen. I proved them all wrong. I cast people based on their auditions. I even had a senior parent call me and say there really isn't any talent in our school, students only did it for fun, so her daughter should have gotten a large role (this was my ITS president that year too - oy vey!). But, here's the thing, being transparent, holding true to your values and standards year in and year out will build our program. For my sixth production, we did the school's first musical since 1961. In a school of 348 kids, I had 56 total kids involved with the show. Pretty freaking awesome. So, what did I do for my first show, having only been in musicals and had helped in limited manners on shows? I chose "Back to the 80's" from MTI. While the plot is a little lame, but the recognition of all the music was incredible. The kids got really creative with their costumes, the dance team captain and another dancer choreographed all of our dances, and I had a great volunteer vocal director. But, the kids knew the music, so it was pretty easy. I had the largest numbers of any show I've ever produced. We even cranked up the mood by showing YouTube music videos of 80's music not in the show before curtain. Each person with paid admission of a neon glow necklace for the show. When the lights went down, it was such a cool effect! People were singing along each night, which pumped my kids up even more. We did this show in 8 weeks, with lots of snow days. The kids can't wait for the next musical. Also, if you've not made an account with MTI, that's the first step. It's pretty easy. I had to start an account since we didn't have one. Good luck, and if you want any info about the show, feel free to message me. I'll get back to you. Break a leg!! Best, Jared ------------------------------------------- Jared Grigsby English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director MSD of Boone Township Hebron, IN -------------------------------------------