Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Options for The Crucible

Posted 05-22-2018 09:16
    I'm considering doing The Crucible in the fall & I'm curious if anyone knows of any good adaptations or edited versions that are available for performance.

• 2.  RE: Options for The Crucible

Posted 05-23-2018 05:35

I gotta ask... why? It's an amazing show - difficult but not impossible for talented HS students, and beautifully written. I would think an edited or adapted version would just drain all the beauty and punch from the original. I would say (and I sound like a purist here but am not usually, I swear) if you don;t want to do the original, find a different play that you are more excited about. I can't imagine anyone could edit or adapt this work into anything that even comes close to the original. 

Sorry, directed it about four years ago, it was an amazing experience for the kids, and is an amazing play. Maybe I am feeling protective.

------------------------------
    Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 3.  RE: Options for The Crucible

Posted 05-23-2018 08:26
    I can't imagine that any adaptation would be approved by the Arthur Miller estate.  The play is a modern classic.

If your students are resistant to the language, assure them that they will have no problem with it once they start speaking it out loud.  It sets the period.  

And I hope you will let your US History teachers know when you will be performing it, as they might want to cover McCarthy and the HUAC before your show opens.

I've directed it 3 times in high school, and had a wonderful experience with it each time.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 4.  RE: Options for The Crucible

Posted 05-23-2018 08:27
    I sort of had the same thought. I LOVE the writing and structure of the original. I'm not even sure if other versions would exist since it isn't in the public domain. You may be able to get permission from the publisher (pretty sure it's Dramatists) to make cuts if it's too long for you, but be careful about maintaining the integrity of the original writing, which flows really well.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Options for The Crucible

Posted 05-23-2018 10:56

Try Voices in the Dark: A Salem Story.  Playscripts.com has it.  It's a little more modern take on the people and events. 

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 6.  RE: Options for The Crucible

Posted 05-23-2018 12:11
    There's also Salem's Daughter from Pioneer Drama. It's set in modern times but ties back to the witch trials. However, I did not get into it, as the writing and story are not nearly the quality of the original Crucible. 

Afflicted: Daughters of Salem
    by Laurie Brooks might have better writing (I love her play Triangle) but it only has six roles. It's available on Dramatic Publishing.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA