Open Forum

View Only

Social Issues on Stage

• 1.  Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-20-2019 12:32
    I am curious. How do you choose whether to produce a heavily social issue related show or not produce? Have some high school presentations been used to display the director's social/political agenda? Is such appropriate or misuse of power?

------------------------------
    Ed Koffenberger
    Director of Spiritual Life
    New Bern NC

• 2.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-20-2019 17:09
    In general, for me, if it's a hot button issue we do not produce a piece that would potentially upset our community. We have addressed multiple issues over the years (including date rape, victim shaming, military life, low self esteem, childhood critical illnesses and terminal illnesses) but these have always been something that the students deal with directly (or are directly linked to a student's senior projects - these have to address social issues) and it is never a main stage show. They only occur in our nights of one acts and are only performed by the advanced students. I would never produce a piece that in any way is reflective of my personal beliefs. I don't believe that is appropriate in an educational institution for children. There is more leeway once you are into the community colleges or universities, but not high schools (or younger).

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-21-2019 07:48
    Thanks, Shira. I agree that the topics tackled at the college level can be more reflective of the ills of our society. I also applaud how theater can often shine a bright light on what general society would rather leave in the shadows.
    I was concerned about the age and the director's awareness level when choosing a show. Thanks for your input.

Ed Koffenberger
    Director of Spiritual Life
    New Bern NC

• 4.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-22-2019 08:33
    I think teaching our students that theatre can be a catalyst to provoke, challenge,  and inspire change is probably among the greatest gifts we can give as theatre educators.  This year I am producing Josh Harmon's ADMISSIONS and Eric Ulloa's 26 PEBBLES.  Last year I produced Sarah DeLappe's THE WOLVES.  My take away is that the kids can handle it and with enough forethought the productions can be a powerful conversation on your campus.

Best,

Jason Peck
    Co-Artistic Director
    A New Theatrical Experience

• 5.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-21-2019 08:50

We've done plays that deal with alcoholism, domestic and sexual abuse, and sexual assault and underage drinking. In each case, it was the students who lead the way - they argued and advocated for the plays, though it probably didn't hurt that I loved the plays as well. 

There have been times in which the students haven't been willing to do a play that I wanted to do - either they don't get it, don't like it, or don't want to deal with the subject matter. I don't make a big deal when it happens since they're the ones who have to get up in front of their peers. I find other plays for them to read through. 

On one - possibly shallow - level, we show our social/political agenda with every choice (or the totality of our choices). It seems like I would be sending a message - especially to my students) if  all I did were plays written for high schoolers and designed to be safe and friendly to all audience members.

Is choosing a social/political play inappropriate or a misuse of power? If the cast isn't comfortable with it, maybe. But shying away from an issue that the students want to take on could also be a misuse of power.  There are so many shades here that I would not want to make a blanket statement.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 6.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-21-2019 12:02
    Respectfully, I disagree with the earlier response. When I taught in the high school, we did a mainstage "social issue" show every year. We partnered with the social studies teachers and used the show as a civics lesson opportunity. We invited outside partnerships (depending on the topic). We investigated topics close to our community. We didn't push one lens or one agenda because there rarely are easy or clear answers. Instead we explored different lenses. We also, as part of the rehearsal process, taught students how to have civil discourse, how to write opinion editorials and how to research in order to understand the difference between facts and hyperbole.  We spoke with administration every year about what topic we were tackling, how and why. Sometimes those discussions went as high as the superintendent. The first year was the hardest. The school was terrified of blowback. Instead, the district received accolades for cross-curriculum teaching. And we always had reflection (in front of the audiences) at the end from our students. What they learned surprised us and didn't reflect bias, but rather a new, engaged desire to interact with their communities. We did this because these young people would be voting soon, so we wanted them to know how to make informed decisions about really tough topics; how to have civil discussions with people on the other side of an issue; and hopefully how to make a stronger impact on their world. So... just my two cents.

Jennifer Little
    N Bergen NJ

• 7.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-21-2019 13:20

There is a line, and it will be different for each of us. I think it's important to take on difficult subject matter and social issues. And like Jennifer, we've brought in people from organizations that deal with the issues in our shows and have done the performances as fundraisers for local organizations. I know my students are very proud of taking on difficult and relevant topics and making at least a small difference in our community.

That said, I don't know your community or situation, and it's possible that many of us might balk at whatever play the person had in mind. To me, one of the main factors (maybe the most important one) is whether the choice of play is made based on what is best for the students and what interests them.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 8.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-21-2019 16:02
    Hi,
    When directing and writing plays, I have found it helpful to focus on the question the play is asking rather than trying to provide an answer. If we focus of posing a question, we can then let the audience provide their own answer. I love theatre that encourages people to question their assumptions, and I love it when the playwright, director, and actors allow me to find my own answer. 
    I hope this helps.
    Erik

Erik Stein
    Casting Director/Recruitment Coordinator
    PCPA Pacific Conservatory Theatre

Author of No Caution! A step-by-step guide to preparing auditions for Universities Colleges, Conservatories, and Beyond!
    Available on Amazon.com and other online booksellers

• 9.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-22-2019 08:34
    In the last few years I have become much more "issue" based in my show selection. I've done
    Laramie Project
    Cabaret 
    Da Kink in My Hair
    Clybourne Park
    Tiger Style

And have every intention of continuing this trend. Am I pushing a political agenda? Maybe. But I would argue that each of these shows is about treating people with respect and dignity which should be apolitical. I feel like it's real hard for someone to object to doing a show that seeks to present humans as people. If you are, then you are on the wrong side of history.

I also think its perfectly alright to do a show that makes people uncomfortable.  If they are uncomfortable when you do an issues based show that means you hit something. Maybe they will think. Maybe they will change. Part of why I will probably never do a play about race that frames it as being historical is because I dont want to allow my audiences to dismiss it as "oh it's really terrible how racist people were back then" while doing no self reflection.

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 10.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-22-2019 08:39
    Amen, Joseph Gels.

Jason Peck
    Co-Artistic Director
    A New Theatrical Experience

• 11.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-22-2019 14:23

Another amen to Joseph Gels.

Theatre is there not just to entertain, but to provoke thought, ask questions (as Erik said, this is preferable to providing answers), bring about conversations, hold a mirror up to society and sometimes to shine a light on things we'd rather not look at. Sometimes some or all of those things makes people uncomfortable, but maybe they SHOULD feel uncomfortable.

My experience has been that typically it's the students who want to talk about these issues, and that it's adults who would rather not. For example, some years ago I did a guest artist visit at a school that was doing a play of mine about bullying. A member of the school community had died recently in an off-roading accident, and merchandising (t-shirts, bracelets) had sprung up all around it. At the same time, there'd been a suicide in that same school community, and the school had tried to sweep it under the rug. So it came up in rehearsal, as it was the only place where the students felt they could talk about it. It inspired me to write a play based on it, but the point is that students are going to have to confront these issues whether the adults like it or not, and it seems preferable to give them a supportive setting in which to address and process these topics than to leave them to their own devices.

Having said that, there are a wide range of ways to help prepare for a social issue-related play, whether that's a pre-show study guide to a post-show discussions with counselors or representatives from relevant groups (e.g. first responders), to name a few possibilities.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 12.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-22-2019 10:17
    Just this week a senior asked me why it was that the plays we did so often seemed to speak to important social issues. Another student said "Could it be that by art art in a way that asks questions about the world you end up also creating stuff that is relevant and seems to be a reflection of the moment?" And with that I turned to dust since my work was clearly done. 

But seriously: it isn't about pushing an agenda. But theater by nature is about examining the human experience and understanding the world we live in. Sometimes that means overtly confronting social issues and sometimes it means exploring issues in less overt ways. But if you aren't actually talking about something, why bother? Now, I work at a mission-driven school so I have some pretty clear parameters that happen to also give me a lot of freedom. You need to make choices that align with your communities needs. But i don't think that "social issues" needs to be political at all.

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 13.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-22-2019 11:21
    Joseph Gels said everything I would. I would offer, however, this quote by Stella Adler: "The theatre is a spiritual and social X-ray of its time. The theatre was created to tell people the truth about life and the social situation." 

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 14.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-22-2019 19:45
    I am humbled

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 15.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-23-2019 07:51

I think it is much more likely that our students will pick up a particular message about our belief in their abilities as actors and as human beings if we continually select the most sanguine of shows that do their best to avoid any sort of of 'social issue.' 

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 16.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-23-2019 09:46
    My opinion: When in doubt, don't do it. I agree with Jonathan's point that one of the purposes of theater is to provoke thought. However, we know (or can ask and quickly find out) what your community's boundaries are, and we have a responsibility as community leaders to respect those boundaries. Some communities will welcome "issue" pieces like Laramie; mine, for example, won't. I even had students forbidden to audition for Macbeth because there's witches in it.

Ask your admin, ask some of your students, or their parents if you have that relationship with them, and see what kinds of plays/topics you can tackle.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 17.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-23-2019 09:53
    A curious question in addition to my earlier one. What is the location of your theater program? Public or private school? General education or arts school? Not a school but a community group? How does each influence your earlier answers? My impression is that private schools labor under different expectations than public or arts schools.
    Thanks

• 18.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-23-2019 10:29
    In response to your second question, I don't think it is as easy as saying public, private, or arts school.  I have seen private schools (religious and secular) do any number of shows depending on the level of trust the community has in the the school and the program- as well as the mission of the school. I have seen public schools release directors because of show selection/content. Too many factors play into these choices.

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 19.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-23-2019 13:35
    I think so much is depended on what you and your community is comfortable with. I teach at a very small, very conservative school in the Midwest. I think you have to get a feel of what they can handle and what they can't. It can also help to do a progression of topics. Don't start with super crazy if they can't handle it. Figure out what the line is and figure out how far you can push past that line.

I find it most effective to do this kind of material in our one acts. That way I have a smaller cast who I know can handle it and I feel it will be easier for the audience to handle it in smaller doses.

Jaclyn Marta
    Moline IL

• 20.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 09-23-2019 15:34
    Like many have said, only you know your community and what they will allow you to put on stage. This is going to be different for everyone.

That being said, if it's not something I'm comfortable putting on stage, it's what we study in the classroom with my advanced students. Theatre is meant to incite discussion and conversation, and if it's a piece that encourages students to think more about equality, equity, or inclusion - we're going to find time for it. Even if it makes us uncomfortable. Obviously studying a piece doesn't give the same results as producing it, but it's still important to me that my students have exposure to these texts before leaving my program.

Cheers,

Kyle Holmes
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Granite Bay High School
    Granite Bay, CA

Check out Ranked, A New Musical at RankedMusical.com

• 21.  RE: Social Issues on Stage

Posted 10-20-2019 15:18
    This question feels loaded to me, but without knowing any details (Like what play are we worried about), here's my quick take.

For me, these decisions are made with the same criteria as any other show. I think we all choose material that align with our values.  Every play has a particular point of view--including Documentary Theater.  The classics are loaded with social and political messages--many of them problematic for me.

What message is being sent by the show and is it presented in a way that is respectful of and appropriate for all audience members within the school community? There are plays that promote social or political 'agendas' (if you mean 'agenda' pejoratively.  If the material is appropriate for the community, then I think intent should not matter, though.

In this case, it's the singer not the song in my experience.  Two similar schools could each produce the same show with one version being wildly inappropriate for the community and the other perfectly fine.  There's certainly more of a need to educate your audience for some shows than there is for others.  

Luc
    Theatre Director
    St. John's College High School

Luc Hotaling
    Theatre Director
    Washington DC