Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Livestreaming with something other than Zoom

Posted 08-27-2020 16:57
    Hello Everyone, 
    We are planning a live stream production for early November and I'm wondering what other online video platforms are out there.  We use google meets for normal class room stuff but one can't arrange the tiles to fit the needs of a scene.  Our district does not like Zoom for security reasons.  Is there another out there that could work?
    Thanks,
    John

------------------------------
    John Rowe
    Theatre Teacher, Advisor Washington Street Players
    Independent School District of Boise
    Boise ID

• 2.  RE: Livestreaming with something other than Zoom

Posted 08-28-2020 07:53

I have an identical issue. I tried looking at the options for stay at home theatre at Playscripts, but I can't get a solid answer about how to stream the show out if I can't use Zoom. 

Google Meets doesn't have the same options as Zoom so I'm not sure what the best choice is from there. 

also. Should it be live streamed? Or should we take the time to edit and make a more polished "movie" of the play?

Chad Gifford
    Director of Theatre
    Minot ND

• 3.  RE: Livestreaming with something other than Zoom

Posted 08-28-2020 08:56
    Following...  I'm working with Playscripts  for our fall show, and planning to zoom... BUT at some undetermined point this fall my school will lose zoom access.  Google Meets (and the rest of GSuite) is getting a big upgrade in October, and in theory will be more similar to zoom.

I've gotten the required Playscripts streaming package, but I haven't used anything like that before... I'm hoping it comes with some clear instructions!

Josie Tierney-Fife
    English Teacher/Theater Director
    Gorham, Maine

• 4.  RE: Livestreaming with something other than Zoom

Posted 08-28-2020 09:12
    "I've gotten the required Playscripts streaming package, but I haven't used anything like that before... I'm hoping it comes with some clear instructions!"

I'm also doing a play through Playscripts but didn't get nor was I aware of a streaming package.
    I also wasn't aware of the Google Meets upgrade.  That could be a key factor but what do we do to prepare in the meantime?

• 5.  RE: Livestreaming with something other than Zoom

Posted 08-28-2020 09:27
    John Rowe, I'm a terrible person to explain this because I haven't gotten my head around it yet, BUT to stream it (at least this script) I had to buy a streaming and archival video license, which is from ShowShare, by Broadway on Demand.  They'll be managing ticketing, which I believe means that they then give audience members the link they'll need.  It was $149, and required.

• 6.  RE: Livestreaming with something other than Zoom

Posted 08-28-2020 09:10
    Our athletic department has been using Streamyard to produce their signing day celebrations virtually.    It has a backstage feature---it's a platform that creates a talk show host ./variety show paradigm.  I'm sure it could be tweeked to support live theater.  

We are looking into it later for virtually producing a Zoom (ha, ha)---old Boston PBS tween show--type self written show with my high schoolers which is aimed at our elementary school aged audience members.  

Hope Love

• 7.  RE: Livestreaming with something other than Zoom

Posted 08-28-2020 09:39
    Good morning,

We use a program called Mediacast. We can stream throughout any of our facilities. There is a broadcast feature that we use to simulcast basketball and football. In the theatre we use it to broadcast to the lobby during performances in the past. This year we will be utilizing it to stream live Masterclass workshops as well as other events in the auditorium.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School