Open Forum

Β View Only
  • 1.  A THEATRE TEACHER IS. . .

Posted 07-03-2018 00:20

"Curtain Call-A Teacher Is. . .A teacher is an actor. To desire to teach, a person must have been enthralled by idea or an experience of some kind himself and must desire that others have the opportunity to know about and be inspired by that same event or material in some way.  To be able to transfer ideas, he must develop, in addition to the knowledge he accumulates, the ability to communicate that knowledge.  This ability to communicate is an art or skill also known as teaching."

From A TEACHER IS MANY THINGS by Earl V. Pullias and James D. Young.

Contributed by teachers from Arizona, California, Georgia, Kansas, New Jersey, Nevada  at one of the Teacher Tribute Dinner at ITF 2018

The Theatre Teacher Is. . . psycho-Analyst, parent figure, social worker, a soup kitchen, a taxi servie, coffee sponges, ass-kicker (well, a disciplinarian), cheerleader, ATM, sculptor, fashion police, motivational speaker, translator, mentor, a mouse catcher, a B.S. detector, a therapist, tired, jack of all trades, juggler and ringmaster, one person production company, a cheerleader, a dramaturgy, a diplomat, an artist, a life coach, resilient, a superhero, an advocate, a beggar, a magician, an actor, flexible, tired, counselor,  psychologist, knowledgeable, jack of all trades, problem solver, advocate, distractor, historian, story teller, patient, sarcastic, servant, creative, therapist, nurturer, coach, designer, publisher, technician, ensemble builder, cheerleader, parent wrangler, fundraiser, tired but fulfilled, Go-to-person, a storyteller, collaborator, passionate, multi-tasker, extraordinaire, visionary, advocate, world-builder, politician, therapist, housekeeper, facilitator of magic who does it every dang day, one armed paper hanger, a fireman, a therapist, a parent, an inspiration, a motivator, safety, warmth, the king's fool, a guide to the world and guide to the heart, constantly reinventing, a therapist, welcoming to all, inventive, ingenious, indefatigable, energetic, determined, passionate, unwittingly  frugal,  patient, compassionate, flexible, compromising, crazy, always willing to share, the finder of monologues, tired as hell, the one with the keys, tough as nails-but kind; besties with custodian, asks "are there parts for girls?" never been in the gym, your best friend, last to leave the parking lot, a mentor, parent, artist, collaborator, therapist, planner, director, producer, "all the hats' wearer, advocate, construction worker, your OSHA rep, a costumer, a philosopher, college advisor, tech director, taxi, super-hero, cheerleader, that person that always believes in you, cautiously optimistic, fanciful pragmatic pragmatist, playwrights, and the best person ever.

------------------------------
    Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com

• 2.  RE: A THEATRE TEACHER IS. . .

Posted 07-06-2018 13:42
    Bravo Gai!

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: A THEATRE TEACHER IS. . .

Posted 07-07-2018 11:08
    Shaw disparagingly said of teachers,

"People who are able to do something well can do that thing for a living, while people who are not able to do anything that well make a living by teaching."

I have found that is only true of bad teachers who used teaching as a fallback.

In reality, those who can do everything, teach theatre.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 4.  RE: A THEATRE TEACHER IS. . .

Posted 07-07-2018 20:05
    I love this!  If only we were appreciated too!

• 5.  RE: A THEATRE TEACHER IS. . .

Posted 07-07-2018 08:28
    I feel a t-shirt in the making

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 6.  RE: A THEATRE TEACHER IS. . .

Posted 07-09-2018 09:57
    ​Good morning,

I agree Karen. Sometimes we feel that appreciation is lacking. It amazes me how supportive the kids and parents will be when they get a lead. But when they have an ensemble role, crickets. I wish there was a way to have them understand that there are hours of work outside the little time we ask of our students in the rehearsal process.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 7.  RE: A THEATRE TEACHER IS. . .

Posted 07-09-2018 15:55
    Hey Crit! Great to meet you at Festival. I had so many students express joy and satisfaction from taking your classes. :)

I agree with you that parents/students are highly supportive when made leads, but magically become crickets at other times as ensemble players or 'lesser roles.' To me it was equally frustrating that the amount of hours it takes to get from audition to closing night, whether one was a lead or not a lead, is approximately the same for everyone. Something that helped me alleviate this a little bit was to take even the tiniest offers of help from parents and involve them as much as possible, whilst all the same being very upfront with them and saying "helping out doesn't guarantee your child a lead role, by the way" (initially in jest, but then seriously)! The parents seemed to appreciate the honesty, and we would gently educate about how many hours of dedication and commitment were required of everyone, and how dearly I appreciated any and all help. 

Many of my parent helpers (about 90%) had children that never got lead roles under me, but they continued to work for their child and the program and give themselves totally. Which was nice. 

Of course this isn't going to magically transform the level of appreciation shown much, but every little bit helped me to continue giving my all. And yes, the parents who took me at my word about not gaining an advantage for their child by helping, who backed off immediately? Well, that just took care of a later pending headache. Which was also nice.

Phillip Goodchild
    Chapter Director, Ontario Thespians

Etobicoke ON

• 8.  RE: A THEATRE TEACHER IS. . .

Posted 07-09-2018 15:58
    @Jennifer Jordan that needs to be an incredibly large t shirt or a really, really tiny font size.....​

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 9.  RE: A THEATRE TEACHER IS. . .

Posted 07-09-2018 16:24
    @Philip Goodchild Have you seen the novels on a shirt? We could totally do this πŸ˜β€‹

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA