Open Forum

View Only

Musical Ideas

• 1.  Musical Ideas

Posted 02-15-2018 09:28
    We are to the point in the year where we start thinking about next year's musical. The music director and I are on the hunt, but we are having trouble. We are looking for shows that are medium in size (10-25). Our community is extremely conservative. In the past we have done relatively kid friendly shows in order avoid conflict. I am not opposed to a PG rated show, but PG 13 might be pushing it depending on why it is rated as such. Any recommendation would be helpful! Thanks Hive Mind!

------------------------------
    Katherine Gibson
    Strafford MO

• 2.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-15-2018 10:15
    What is your kid ratio and what voices do you have? 

You might look at Little Women, SPAMalot: School Edition (although depending on your community it might push too hard), Okalahoma! or any R&H show. You might also look at Playscripts for some of their musicals that are parodies. I haven't used them for that, but I know that they have a parody of Cyrano...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-15-2018 14:43
    We're a little smaller than we've been in the past. We just completed a production of Thoroughly Modern Millie. The shows that we have recently completed include Oklahoma! and Once Upon a Mattress, TARZAN, and Beauty and the Beast. We currently have two very strong Mezzo/Altos 1 strong tenor, 1 strong Bass/Bari. As for the rest of them, I'm sure we can find children who can sing and dance, but aren't necessarily powerhouses. 

Thanks for the input!

Katherine Gibson
    Strafford MO

• 4.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-16-2018 06:43
    Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've seen it (so my memory of the content is sort of iffy), but I know that Hands on a Hardbody was really successful with conservative tourists who were visiting NYC, and it's had a much longer shelf-life down South (Samuel French). It's also a solid show if you want to give your students a shot at more contemporary fare.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 5.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-16-2018 08:22
    Just a heads-up, Hands on a Hardbody has some fairly significant language, and renting the truck can get expensive. It's an amazing show, but my in-laws were a little turned off by the language when they saw me in it.

We just finished Lucky Stiff by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty. We did it with a cast of 25, but it's written to be doubled down as small as 10. It's so fun and funny. The kids and the audiences had a blast.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-16-2018 08:32
    Dear Edwina is a really fun show.We did the Jr version at my middle school last year and the kids and families LOVED it. It has a smallish, flexible cast with lots of featured moments. I highly recommend!

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 7.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-16-2018 12:10
    Your situation sounds much like my own. Every chance I get I give a shout out to Mary Hall Surface and David Maddox. Their productions available at Dramatic Publishing are not very well know, but they are just magical! I have done both Perseus Bayou and Sing Down the Moon.  We even won state one act with Perseus.  Costumes are a little complex, and you have to flex your staging creativity (Think magical realism), but the outcome of both were just wonderful for my troupe and very well liked by our audience. They have others too, and I am hoping they write more, but I will definitely be bringing both titles mentioned back to my stage in a few years!

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 8.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-18-2018 07:37
    Take a look at Maverick Musicals ... they are an Australian company and if you want something new and fresh ... I love their musicals - they are cheap and you can get the scripts online.  I did "how the West Was Warped" and "Man of Steel"  - both hilarious and fun.

Leah Bramley
    Doha

• 9.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-19-2018 08:43
    I teach in a very conservative community in Mississippi, where theatre is very misunderstood and extremely undervalued. A drama teacher at a nearby school wasn't allowed to do "Once on This Island" because it promotes witchcraft. 🙄I tend to stick to the Jr and Young@part versions to play it safe, but I have also used Pioneer Drama a lot in the past. Many of their shows have recognizable names, but are different versions of the well-known shows. They're a little cheesy, but very easy to produce and extremely flexible. The best part is they're cheap. We've done their versions of Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Jungle Book, and Ransom of Red Chief (SO much fun), as well as MTI's AIDA:School Edition and Into the Woods, Jr.

Chelsea Petty
    Teacher
    Columbus Municiple School District
    Columbus MS

• 10.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-20-2018 11:31
    Just about any Golden Age show could suit your audience, but many of those shows might be too large.

Have you considered a Peanuts show? You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown and Snoopy are both written for a small cast, but are easily expandable to 10-20. They're about as wholesome as they come, so your community should be very pleased.

Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark
    New York, NY
    www.tamswitmark.com

• 11.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-21-2018 11:28
    Have you looked at MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS? Squeaky clean Americana and a fantastic score. Also heavy with girl leads. It's a show not too many people think of but the movie is very well known of course and everyone knows "The Trolly Song" and "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas"  It's mostly one set (int and ext) and can be done with a fairly small cast. 

I've also directed the musical NARNIA and really like it. Some great songs. While there is a "witch" in the play she's very much a BAD witch, and the entire piece is Christian Allegory and C.S. Lewis often plays very well in conservative Christian communities. 

And finally, Rogers & Hammerstein's CINDERELLA is a charming show, again mostly female roles and simple to stage, but with a great R & H score. 

Hope that helps!

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 12.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-22-2018 09:38
    We are in the middle of “Meet Me in St. Louis, Louis” In St. Louis at the Fair -Pioneer Version

There are 6 leads (4F, 2M). 3 Supporting Roles (at least 1M), 2 small roles, and 6 very small parts. I also have an ensemble of 9 w/ no speaking parts. Both Acts take place in the Dining Room so the set is 6 tables & 18 chairs which I have the ensemble waitresses set up throughout the show as if setting up for Fair to open, tablecloths, chair covers, rolling napkins, etc. lots of movement since back stays same each Act. I added a serving cart. Act 1 in continuous. Act 2 closes curtain once, so it’s all done with ent. & exits.

10 songs: No Trolly song but “In my Merry Oldsmobile” instead. No Chorus numbers but I made 1 song in each Act, Chorus #’s. I added dance to all songs so lots for everyone to do. Made others Waitresses, Assistants, diners.

Because no set changes, needed more dazzle so I bring something into most songs along with dancers: car, boat, plates as steering wheels, brooms as horses, cowboy hats, canes, vests, hats, Grass & leaf skirts, Signs etc.

Act 1 No Scripts is tonight. It’s going well. Keep the ideas coming for next year. Last year I looked up 300 shows, most were mentioned here & I put on list.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 13.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-22-2018 12:01
    We just finished Little Stars, from Maverick Musicals in Australia.  This was a pretty open ended show with a fair degree of flexibility.  The songs are catchy, and the story line is familiar.  The premise is a TV Talent show, with some questionable contestants, neurotic parents, crooked judging, and so on.  We did it with a large cast of 44 but it could be pared down (or up) and allows for a wide variety of talent and ability.

It ostensibly has 8 main roles (the five finalists, two hosts and the crooked judge) with a supporting cast of the other two judges, parents of the finalists and then all the other auditoners who get the "mean judge" treatment.

We had way more fun putting this on than I thought  possible, and will definitely have this in the repertoire for doing again in a few more years.

Margaret Watt
    Artistic Director
    Mountain Dream Productions
    Victoria BC

• 14.  RE: Musical Ideas

Posted 02-21-2018 08:25
    MTI's Back to the 80's.  Lots of fun!

Danielle Kelley
    Theatre Teacher