Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cutting for One Act

Posted 07-06-2016 09:06

Help!  I need help cutting from a full length to a one act for competition.  Where to start?!?  How do you keep the meat, yet stay within the time requirements.  I'm at a loss.  Thanks!

------------------------------
    L Thompson
    Sugarland TX

• 2.  RE: Cutting for One Act

Posted 07-06-2016 13:24

If ti's possible, have the cast learn and work on the entire play. As the process goes on, both you and your students will notice scenes and lines that either aren't necessary or don't work. Cut those. I've done this with two plays for competition and in both cases the student input was invaluable.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: Cutting for One Act

Posted 07-06-2016 22:44

Make sure you get approval to cut before starting! Unless it's in the public domain you need to ensure you're following all legal requirements. :)

Once that's done... start by looking at the plot of the story. I will read a script at least 5 times before beginning to cut it to ensure that I have a real understanding of the plot and subtext. An easy way to "cut" is to reduce the numbers of line that various characters say and combine it into a single character speaking. Frequently several characters rephrase the same idea to get the point across. That's the area I'm talking about.

After you've done your first cuts, have your cast sit down and do a read-thru. During this process you will find where the cuts you did either harm the story line or condense the info. And as you go don't be afraid to stop your read-thru to try cutting lines. Have them re-read the scene with the new cuts to see if you like it. I'd also give them the freedom to stop the read-thru to offer suggestions. The kids can be a huge help.

After you finish cutting do a second read-thru without stopping (just take notes as needed) to see if the story is still being told.  You'll notice if there are holes in the story. Remember, the audience won't know what you cut. They'll simply enjoy the performance that is put in front of them. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Cutting for One Act

Posted 07-07-2016 10:13

I have been cutting scripts for a long time and have come up with a reasonably successful approach.  In no particular order, here are the main points I consider.

• Don't be afraid to cut material, even if it makes you feel bad. Good jokes, tender moments, interesting characters: they all need to be up for cutting. You have a time limit, so going over because of a good joke is never worth it.
    • Focus on the important story line(s). Sometimes you have to give up side plots or development of characters who don't mean as much to the story.
    • Each time you cut, look at the story as a new piece of art, not something that is incomplete. If you need to cut more, cut based on the new version, not the old. Continue to do this until you are under your time limit.
    • Get rid of redundancies! The easiest things to start with when cutting are long monologues about how much "I love you." Say it simple with your body, your voice, your face...mean it and move on. Don't have characters repeat back to another one something you already told the audience. "I hate you"...."but why"..."because you cheated on me." Go straight to "I hate you because you cheated on me." Of course, do this in larger chunks.
    • Don't be afraid to change things one you've started. If you realize something is said but never is followed up on, ditch it. The inverse is true, too. If something comes up at minute 25 but you never introduced it, put something back in. Your kids have to be dedicated to the final product and understand that changes are not personal. The story has to be strong or you won't do well.
    • Trust your gut. The words belong to the playwright, the show belongs to you!
    Mark Johnson
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Sterling Heights, MI

• 5.  RE: Cutting for One Act

Posted 07-08-2016 22:47

Thank y'all!  I appreciate your two cents on it.  I've always done true scripted one acts or full length shows.  I haven't actually cut one down yet, so your suggestions will truly help me!

Lana Thompson
    Sugarland TX