Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Middle School large cast Murder Mystery or Comedy/ Farce

Posted 08-08-2018 12:37
    I have been researching plays for my Middle School but cannot seem to find something I truly want to live with for 8 weeks.  Any suggestions on great plays for MS?  I am looking to possibly do a Murder Mystery or Comedy/ Farce.  The issues are that I like larger cast sizes than usually available in this genre.  I prefer a cast over 20 and heavy female.  My students are pretty advanced so they can handle more mature shows that some high schools might take on.  Open to any and all suggestions...of any genre but more interested in Crime or Comedy.  Thanks so much! :)

------------------------------
    Jessica Gaylor
    Henderson NV

• 2.  RE: Middle School large cast Murder Mystery or Comedy/ Farce

Posted 08-08-2018 16:20
    Take a look at Grimm's Brother Spectaculathon. Playscripts has it.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Middle School large cast Murder Mystery or Comedy/ Farce

Posted 08-09-2018 07:56
    Hi Jessica.

When I taught middle school theatre in CCSD (1995-2003, troupe 88200) my students mounted some Agatha Christie productions. The casts are large and have good roles for girls (with some flexibility). What I really loved was the challenge of the dialogue for the students. The British phrasing coupled with the leaps they were making in understanding/enacting the period of the piece kept students' minds active.  

Best of luck finding the right piece!  

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Middle School large cast Murder Mystery or Comedy/ Farce

Posted 08-09-2018 07:58
    Check out The Greek Mythology Olympiaganza
    https://www.playscripts.com/play/1738

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 5.  RE: Middle School large cast Murder Mystery or Comedy/ Farce

Posted 08-09-2018 08:39

I fun mystery comedy that would work great with Middle Schoolers and is based on a popular YA novel is THE WESTING GAME, adapted by Darian Lindle from the Newberry Award Winning Novel by Ellen Raskin. Families residing in a large apartment building are pulled into a contest by an eccentric and recently murdered millionaire. Partnered up, they compete to solve the murder, find the hidden treasure and become the Westing heir. I loved the novel as a kid and some of your students will no doubt know it. The staging is open (suggestive of a chess board) and it can be done with as few as 15 actors with doubling, or (without doubling) easily 30 or more. It's available through Dramatic Publishing. 

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 6.  RE: Middle School large cast Murder Mystery or Comedy/ Farce

Posted 08-09-2018 09:58
    Sounds like we have similar programs. We recently produced Night at The Wax Museum  and Who Killed Elvis?  both are by Craig Sodaro, Pioneer Drama Service. There is also a musical version of Wax Museum. Both shows have large casts, room for extras, large and small roles with witty dialogue.

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 7.  RE: Middle School large cast Murder Mystery or Comedy/ Farce

Posted 08-09-2018 12:58

Thanks for suggesting my plays! Your checks are in the mail. 

If you want something a little more narrative, check out SPY SCHOOL, which is more of a satire than a farce, but is really fun and has lots of roles for everyone. 

It's hard to do a decent murder mystery with a cast larger than 20, and there tends to be a lot of sexual innuendo in farces and murder mysteries - I have a new one coming from Sam French that has a cast of 20+, a murder-mystery set at a speed-date singles event, but, again, that relies on a lot on sexual tension and innuendo for the humor, something that doesn't quite work as well when half your cast hasn't gone through puberty! 

Don Zolidis
    Austin TX

• 8.  RE: Middle School large cast Murder Mystery or Comedy/ Farce

Posted 08-09-2018 18:44
    ​Take a look at wwwlargecastplays.com They have some fractured fairy tales that would work.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 9.  RE: Middle School large cast Murder Mystery or Comedy/ Farce

Posted 08-10-2018 07:38
    Your kids would probably have fun with Hillary DiPiano's Love of Three Oranges or The Green Bird, both available to read on Playscripts. You can make it a really great teaching opportunity if you fully embrace the commedia.

I'm reading Stefanie Hero (Dramatists) right now, which is cute, and someone on the forum also recommended A Play About A Dragon (Sam French).

For a murder mystery, you also might want to look at Hound of the Baskervilles: A Comic Thriller Starring Shirley Holmes and Jennie Watson. (Dramatic Publishing)

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA