Open Forum

View Only

Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

• 1.  Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-23-2018 16:25
    Hello all –

Here is a major puzzle I'm trying to solve. Can you help?

I teach at a PreK-12 Orthodox Jewish day school. We present a grade 3-5 musical (hugely successful) and a grade 6-8 musical (also successful, but much smaller in scope). There is no high school production, and no theatre classes at any grade level. 

And...I've gotten permission to produce a high school play this fall. That's the easy part. The hard part is navigating the many different parameters that must necessarily affect my choice of what to produce. Here are some of the many considerations I'm trying to take into account as I look for possible titles:
    • Because it's a conservative community, we can't do plays with adult themes or sexual content, and swearing is also out. Both boys' and girls' attire must be "modest," even in the context of a theatre production, so tight clothing, bare legs/shoulders, and cleavage are all out, as is opposite-gender physicality.
    • We do have a decent budget, and fairly sophisticated lighting and sound systems. [No fly system though.]
    • More than half of our student population is first or second generation South American (esp. Argentina and Venezuela). They all speak English, but in many cases have had little exposure to American culture beyond what is currently on TV, YouTube, etc. I mention this because cultural references that most of us would be familiar with are lost on them. [How many kids seeing "Arsenic and Old Lace" these days get the Teddy Roosevelt and Frankenstein references?]
    • I have no idea how many students, and of what genders, might be interested (and available) to be part of the production. I'm going to be optimistic and assume a mixed cast of at least 8-10.
    Putting all of this together, I find myself a bit baffled in terms of what play to produce. I started by looking at the list of  ten most-produced plays in high schools in 2016-2017, just to see how these might fit my situation. I'll share my "take" on each show to give you an idea of how our specific situation impacts various kinds of pieces:

Almost Maine: Love the show personally, but it would never be permitted by the school administration. We can't have kissing, or allusions to pre-marital sex, and I'm not sure how they'd feel about the gay scene or the beer. 
    A Midsummer Night's Dream: Our kids/audience would probably go for the Mechanicals scenes (silly and slapstick), but it would be hard to stage the lovers' scenes without male/female physicality, and Shakespeare's language would be an extra challenge in a community where English is many people's second language.
    The Crucible: Too long, too verbal, and I myself find a piece like this super painful when performed by the completely untrained/inexperienced.
    You Can't Take It With You: Would a gently zany show from the 1930's click with our kids? As beloved as Kaufman and Hart shows are, I think that our kids would find them very dated and rather remote.
    Alice in Wonderland: No idea how this would be received...
    Peter and the Starcatcher: Some of them will know of Peter Pan; others not. I think they'd enjoy the scene-chewing Hook, certainly. Hmmm.
    12 Angry Jurors: Possible. Again, something of a challenge for totally inexperienced/untrained teenage actors, but it's got some good drama, and a story that is easy to follow, so maybe.
    A Christmas Carol: Nope! [Jewish school]
    Macbeth: I think the High Drama and possibilities for dramatic visuals might appeal, but I'm not sure.
    Our Town: I enjoyed acting in Our Town when I was in it in high school, but for kids who know nothing about Americana of yesteryear, and who have limited attention spans, I think its length and subtlety would lead many to find it boring.

Here are some characteristics that I believe would help a play be successful in our situation:
    • Relevant to kids in 2018
    • Genuinely funny (but not based on subtle shades of wit)
    • Deliciously dramatic
    • Visually striking/imaginative
    • Active/high energy
    • Fairly easy to follow 
    • [And must follow the rules about avoiding romance and s-e-x]
    You may feel I'm not giving the kids and audiences enough credit, and am going for what's easy rather than challenging them to discover and embrace things beyond the familiar and comfortable. I love that theatre can bring us to these new places, both as performers and audience members, and would hope to take big strides down that road as soon as we can. At the moment, however, this is our first outing, and I feel like I've got just this one chance to grab them, and have to hit it out of the park. 

What is on your list of surefire winners? What shows (plays) have you done or know of that both actors and audiences just love

Thanks for your ideas!

Stuart Rosenthal
    Scheck Hillel Community School
    Miami, FL

• 2.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-23-2018 18:25
    This does sound like a puzzle. The main play that immediately came to mind was The Diary of Anne Frank. Have you considered having them write a play that is relevant to them? This would be a great way to teach them about current events and the entire playwrighting experience. Alternately, you may want to select one of the classics and teach them how to be dramaturgs. If I think of any specific shows that might be worth trying, I'll let you know.

------------------------------
    Kind Regards,

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 3.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-24-2018 12:42
    I loved directing Letters to Sala a couple years ago. It was very well received and very moving. It would be poignant for your group to perform but it is not a comedy - the holocaust is the main subject. It’s based on a true story and the real Sala recently passed away. Very powerful.

Also, I had great success with Tina Howe’s Museum. The kids loved it by the way. Very flexible casting. Very funny and extremely witty, but not too obscure. Some of the language might need rethinking. Deals with modern art and the various reactions to it.

Also, I do think Our Town is a wonderful choice, and to this day, it is my favorite play that I have ever directed. It really is about life and death and the power of the ordinary being truly extraordinary. Your kids might find it beautiful in its simplicity. It can be a metaphor for their town/ world and the idea of a time capsule can be great to get them thinking.

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-27-2018 11:03
    I agree with Susan's suggestion of "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" - for a first effort, it's much easier to stage than "Anne Frank." No kiss needed.

For a comedy, you might try "Brief Interviews with Internet Cats." It's very flexible with casting, zero s-e-x, and comes in at about 30-40 minutes. Simple set. Our audiences loved it. You could pair it with another one act if you (or your admin) want something bigger/longer/more.

Janis Valdes
    Department Chair, Performing Arts
    Villa Duchesne Oak Hill School
    St. Louis MO

• 5.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-24-2018 03:15
    I'm not sure if you would want to do a "Jewish" play, but a very strong dramatic show, not a comedy, is "I Never Saw Another Butterfly." There may be a kiss. (I don't remember right now.) My kids really liked our production.

Susan Davis
    Napa CA

• 6.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-26-2018 17:32
    If you have an actor who can play Stash, I think everyone will love Peter and the Starcatcher!

One other thought, you might want to look at plays with Jewish characters. . .one of my favorites is Becoming Memories by Arthur Giron (I think).  Four families through 3 generations:  Jewish, Irish Catholic, WASP, Mennonite.  Great opportunities for cultural research and awareness.  It is a sweet play with music (no solos, but some Christian hymns. . .don't remember any about Jesus).

I'm not overly fond of Neil Simon, but many of his early play do have Jewish characters.

• 7.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-24-2018 06:31
    Maybe look at "Up the Down Staircase."  Opportunities for a few actors in the larger parts and then tons of ensemble characters....also a good vehicle to talk about issues that faced kids back "in the day" compared to now...and also how maybe school has changed.

Up the Down Staircase
    Dramaticpublishing remove preview
    Up the Down Staircase
    "Hi, Teach!" are the first words to greet attractive Sylvia Barrett. There's a special happiness in walking into the still-empty classroom and for the first time writing her name on the blackboard. Students pour into the classroom-cautious, testing,
    View this on Dramaticpublishing >

Lynda Gibson
    Director
    Troupe 2829
    Flushing High School
    Junior Troupe 88305
    Flushing Middle School

• 8.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-24-2018 14:27
    Maybe a children's play - we had success with Charlotte's Web recently. Or, sticking with the animal theme - Animal Farm. Maybe The Miracle Worker? Sometimes I look at the English curriculum for ideas. It helps get teachers on board and they promote the shows heavily to the students.

• 9.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-25-2018 08:26
    You could always ask the kids what they want to do...also, assuming they aren't interested in doing a show just because it's from a culture or time that is outside of the students' personal experience isn't a valid excuse. All my favorite plays come from cultures or time periods that I knew nothing about until I read or saw them.
    Since these kids may be the same ones that did a show in their younger grades, there are bound to be a few who are ready to write their own show. I guarantee they will surprise you with what they come up with.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, CA
    recently retired, but still on the way to Lincoln!

• 10.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-24-2018 14:33

Have you considered The Wizard of Oz? So culturally iconic that I suspect even your South American students will know it. And it sounds like you've got the technical support to pull it off. You're basically talking 7 principals and a chorus that can be large or small and double or not. 

I think you might also do well with Alice in Wonderland, although that allows for a much larger cast. But the classic fantasy realm may cross over culturally while also meeting the needs of your community standards. 

In fact I think your answers may lie in children's theater. There are some wonderful children's theater plays out there, all of which meet your communities needs, but which offer creative and challenging material for your students. Children's theater has matured considerably in the last few decades. Look at playwrights like Susan Zeder (WIley and the Hairy Man), Chad Henry (Here Comes, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle) or Pam Sterling (The Secret Garden)

There are actually quite a few bi-lingual plays written for young audiences as well. Check out this website:

Plays for Young Audiences

Playsforyoungaudiences remove preview
    Plays for Young Audiences
    Plays for Young Audiences handles licensing rights for plays and musicals written for young audiences...
    View this on Playsforyoungaudiences >

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 11.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-24-2018 17:43
    It's an old one, but have you ever read STORY THEATRE by Paul Sills? I think it meets all of your restrictions. It was produced on Broadway. When I directed it with high school students back in the day, it was warmly received.

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    Director, The High School Drama Institute
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC
    drama.cua.edu/graduate/MATE
    drama.cua.edu/summer

• 12.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-25-2018 11:37
    We did "A Play About A Dragon" by Steph DeFerie last Fall, and the students and audiences loved it! It is family friendly and funny.  There is opportunity for sword fighting and physical comedy.  There is a dragon of course.  My set crew had a great time creating the dragon.  We do not have a fly system either, but we were able to create a large dragon puppet that we controlled using pulleys anchored to the ceiling.
    There are two very innocent (and small) love stories that are woven into the main plot.  We were able convey those well without actors kissing.

Theresa Velazquez
    Spanish Teacher
    Theater Director and Speech Team Coach
    Duchesne High School
    St. Charles, MO

• 13.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-25-2018 03:20
    Hi Stuart,

highly recommend ¡Bocón!, by Lisa Loomer. I performed in it in college. It meets every last one of your (very thoughtful) criteria, and includes themes that are quite relevant. It's a bit reminiscent of the Pixar movie Coco, without the world of the dead. It follows a young boy, Miguel, whose voice is stolen. He teams up with the mythical La Llorona to get it back. It's funny, dramatic, and has the opportunity to be very visually striking.

Cameron Garner
    Taylorsville High School
    Taylorsville UT

• 14.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-25-2018 08:51
    The Mouse That Roared is fun and funny, with a great underdog theme that appeals to all sorts of diverse communities.

Stephanie Hero (Mark Medoff) is a fairy tale-style family friendly show that feels like it has roots in all sorts of different cultures.  Challenges the classic damsel and prince narrative.  Does have a dragon and some sword fighting that is important to the story.  

I also like Bocon!

Julia Wharton
    Theatre Director/Educator

• 15.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 06-26-2018 15:45
    Well Stuart - first of all, congratulations on earning the opportunity to direct a theatre production at
    Scheck Hillel Community School in Miami FL.  I met you while I was a candidate for the Head or Arts at your school.  I recall chatting with you in the meeting room.  Although the opportunity presents some challenges, I applaud you for seeking suggestions to ensure the you keep within the mission of the school. I am rooting for you and the theatre program at Scheck Hillel.  Best Wishes to you. 

Look at The Re-Programming of Jeremy. I directed it at Miami Country Day and it provided amazing opportunities for the entire school to get behind the message of the work.  The school made this a huge workshop for the entire day. 

[David] [Valdes]
    Director of Theatre
    University Lake School
    Hartland, Wisconsin

• 16.  RE: Fall play selection challenge - anyone enjoy a good puzzle?

Posted 07-24-2018 13:54
    I have to throw Still Life With Iris into this conversation. It's definitely family-friendly, but it's a story your audiences won't know. Charming, imaginative, flexible ensemble, lots of room for cool visuals but you can also design it very simply. There are a couple of versions, so you can choose what works best for you.

Still Life with Iris by Dietz (100 minute version)
    Dramaticpublishing remove preview
    Still Life with Iris by Dietz (100 minute version)
    This piece is the first play for young audiences to receive the Kennedy Center's Fund for New American Plays Award. Still Life with Iris is a fantastical adventure which centers on a little girl's search for the simplest of things: home. Iris liv
    View this on Dramaticpublishing >

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA