Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Medium Cast Ensemble Musicals

Posted 02-14-2017 09:10
    I'm in a small independent school and we have built a moderately sized program over the years.  We were once begging kids to audition, and choosing shows with very small casts, and now we routinely mount productions with 20 to 30 cast members and an additional 20+ students working crew.  Despite this "breadth," we don't always have the most "depth" in terms of talent.  While I currently have a number of students who could excel in supporting and featured roles, I don't have any "stars" right now and, particularly looking ahead to next year, don't have any true triple threats.  So, I am looking for ensemble pieces that will provide a large number of individual performance moments, rather than a show that relies heavily on one or two leads.  

We looked at WORKING, but it was done at the school not that long ago and we are not keen to revisit it at this point. One other thought was DAY IN HOLLYWOOD... NIGHT IN THE UKRAINE, with different casts for the first and second acts but I worry that the movie references will be lost on the kids.

Any suggestions of other similar titles would be appreciated!

------------------------------
    Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Studio & Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    NJ

• 2.  RE: Medium Cast Ensemble Musicals

Posted 02-15-2017 08:10
    Hi!

I know that MTI licenses a plethora of shows for medium-sized casts, including ones that are not particularly well-known but still great! Thinking about specific shows that they license, one that particularly comes to mind is "Disaster!" It was on Broadway last season and the rights were just released. I saw it in its Off-Broadway and Broadway incarnations, and I think it is a fantastic show for high schools. It is a musical parody of 1970s disaster films that features songs from the era. But trust me, you do not need to get any of the references to understand the show. And best of all it has ELEVEN lead roles, plus lots of featured cameos for the ensemble! Everyone gets a chance to shine, and there's only one number that calls for tap dancing, but I bet there are ways to go around it. Some high schools are already doing it, so it's definitely possible.

Hope this helps!

Lynn Glener
    M.A. Applied Theatre Candidate, CUNY School of Professional Studies '19
    B.A. Theatre/Theatre Education, SUNY Potsdam '16

• 3.  RE: Medium Cast Ensemble Musicals

Posted 02-15-2017 08:27
    I was in Company by Stephen Sondheim, it is a series of vignettes with song. A couple of company numbers. Easy sets.  Easy rehearsals, i.e. small groups.

Kim Silverman
    Director of Theatre
    The Grier School
    Tyrone PA

• 4.  RE: Medium Cast Ensemble Musicals

Posted 02-15-2017 10:46
    You might take a look at PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE. We did it last year and the cast if flexible depending on doubling. Audiences love the participation aspect.
    Also look at ZOMBIE PROM which can have a cast as small as 10 with doubling (that's how it was written) or as large as 20.  The show is a favorite of mine. 

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net