Open Forum

View Only

Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

• 1.  Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-05-2016 13:54

Hi, all,

I've been talking with a local college that has an award-winning theatre program about the possibility and interest in maybe doing a one-week intensive summer tech theatre camp for drama teachers, covering sets, lights, costumes, props, and other areas. The workshop would provide a solid introduction to both the design aspects and the execution, as well as areas like scheduling, budgeting, safety, and so forth. Right now I'm thinking it would start with a round-table discussion of tech theatre in high schools: the challenges, needs, realities, and other issues. The workshop, if it comes to pass, would probably be in '17, and the college is in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Do you think there would be any interest in something like this?  Any thoughts?  Thanks much.

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 2.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 06:18

Yes, I would absolutely be interested, so long as it was at a beginning level.  I've been making up my own lighting, sound, and set design to support my stories and young performers for years and would welcome some actual hands on instruction (trained in directing/acting/playwriting).  And what luck...I live in the Bay Area, so keep me posted.

Richard Silberg
    Berkeley CA

• 3.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 06:42

I would be very interested in this plan.  It's a long way from New York, but I think it would be really valuable and I would try to make it.

Karen Malone
    Teacher
    Commack NY

• 4.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 09:41

I definitely would! I'm interested in an acting workshop this summer too, if anyone knows of anything. If university credit is available, all the better!

Summer Heartt
    Director of Drama
    American Canyon High School
    American Canyon, Califonia

• 5.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 09:46
    I would make a trip back home for a week or two to attend. I am at a middle school, but we do big productions and just got all new lighting equipment. Would like to learn as much as possible about how to use it and design better sets/costumes  etc.  

Ron 

• 6.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 10:17

Yes, oh yes, please! 

I'm in the east bay and will be the first one to register. 

This is a wonderful idea. Thanks.

Tisha Donnelly
    Director, troupe #5591
    Vanden High School
    Fairfield, CA

• 7.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 10:20

I'm interested. I live in the south bay area.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 8.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 10:20

Both the teacher who is my tech director and I would be very interested.  We are in the East Bay.   What college?

The Liberty Union High School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, or disability.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission, including any attachments, may contain confidential information only for use by the intended recipients. Any privileges or confidentiality afforded under the law are not waived by virtue of this having been sent by electronic mail. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive messages for the addressee), you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute this message (or any information contained in or attached to it) to anyone. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone at 925.634.2166 and delete the transmission. Thank you.

­­  

• 9.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 11:24

Yes, I would definitely be interested in a summer workshop.

Jessica Zottneck
    Theatre Teacher
    CARLSBAD NM

• 10.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 11:55

I'd be interested as well, HOWEVER---

Waiting until arrival to find out the 'needs' seems a bit unplanned. Might I suggest gathering this information in advance from intended participants so it can be prepared in a stronger structure.

One week isn't long enough. Even the Broadway Intensive is two-weeks, isn't it?

Someone mentioned their "beginner" level. This, too, should be taken into account. Having attended similarly well-intended tech workshops with all of us in one room, half of the group was always bored/frustrated.

San Francisco is an expensive city in the first place. Adding summer airfare and accommodation would prove daunting. Are host families or dorm rooms an option? Or college/PD credit considered to be offered so schools may be able to front the cost?

Please don't give up on this idea. It is super necessary.

Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    Palm Beach Lakes High School
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 11.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 12:09

Hi.   I would be interested in helping to sponsor the summer session.  I am 2 hours from SF and would love to see more tech education for high school teachers in the area.  Contact me at margaret@costumeinventory.com .

Margaret Messick
    Costume Inventory Resources
    Davis CA

• 12.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 12:14

Thanks to all who've replied so far. I appreciate your interest and your thoughts.

We're just now beginning to talk about this, so there's a lot of work to do in the next year or so, including research on similar programs, costs, and so on -- assuming the college even buys into it.

I picked this particular college for a few reasons, besides that I've worked with them and am very impressed with their programs. They have a top-of-the-line facility, especially in the area of lighting design, and a number of their students have gone on to professional careers on stage or behind it. Also, the professors all have solid experience in professional theatre and have won awards in their own specialties. And, they're all very nice people and a pleasure to work with.

I don't want to mention the college's name just in case they decide not to go for this; they have a lot of things to consider too, and it's not fair to put them on the spot. But I'll keep you posted. If this workshop flies, it's conceivable that it could be held in other venues in the future.

In the meantime, if any of you have any thoughts as to what you'd like to see covered, please let us know.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.georgefledo.net

• 13.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-06-2016 13:27

Ha! yeah! Please include a session on CAFETORIUM LIGHTING MAGIC and MIRACLES!

Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    Palm Beach Lakes High School
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 14.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-07-2016 22:37

Hi,

I think this is a brilliant idea!  I help facilitate and teach the "Tech Camp for Teachers" at the Utah Shakespeare Festival in beautiful Cedar City, Utah. http://www.bard.org/camps-classes/tech-camp-for-teachers

They have been sponsoring a tech camp for teachers (with University credit from Southern Utah University) for several years with great success. If I could be any assistance please let me know.

Best,

Russ

Russell Saxton
    Drama Teacher
    Washington County School District
    St George UT

• 15.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-08-2016 13:35

That's great, thank you.

And thanks for posting the agenda for your upcoming one.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.georgefledo.net

• 16.  RE: Question: Any interest in a summer tech theatre camp for teachers?

Posted 05-09-2016 09:22

This sounds great! Keep us informed and Thanks!

DJ

DJ Queenan
    Director of Fine Arts
    Savannah Country Day School
    Savannah GA