Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Addams Family - concerns?

Posted 10-24-2016 00:13

We are considering The Addams Family for next season. I am curious if anyone who has produced the show - and it is produced a great deal these days! - has received criticism over the ghoulish humour, the chorus of ancestors etc? We have not received any flak as we have shared our interest in it with our community,which has pleasantly surprised me, but would like to be prepared as we share our proposal with administration.

Thanks for your time.

------------------------------
    Bill Jacobsen
    Drama Teacher / Curriculum Leader
    Hunting Hills High School
    Red Deer Alberta

• 2.  RE: The Addams Family - concerns?

Posted 10-24-2016 07:10

Several schools/community theatres around me have produced it and had a HUGE turnout. I think that, since the Addam's Family is such a well-known and beloved culture icon, audiences aren't turned off by it.

It'll definitely pull in people!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 3.  RE: The Addams Family - concerns?

Posted 10-24-2016 12:02
      |   view attached

We produced The Addams Family last Spring, and it was a huge hit! We were sold out almost every performance, and everyone loved it. I teach in a Catholic school and had no issues. Our administration, faculty, and parents all praised the show. We did cut the lines that are optional in the show - if memory serves me correct the line about uncle herman twice removed, and I can't remember the other one.

The kids loved working on the show, and it was the first time in a long time I didn't have to give them "the talk" (you know the this is your show, you need to work harder, memorize your lines, etc.).

It's a lot of fun to work on. Pic attached for fun! :)

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 4.  RE: The Addams Family - concerns?

Posted 10-25-2016 07:54

I would like to agree with fellow posters.  We live in a very conservative school district and had not one complaint or phone call regarding content (which we have had in the past, esp when we did Pippin...).  We did change some of the innuendo comments; I believe mostly Morticia's lines and some comments from Mr. Addams.  But our community loved the show and no one was bothered by the dead ancestors or anything like that. I agree with the above poster who mentioned it being such a popular tv show - people came in knowing what to expect as far as content.  And we sold out our second weekend.  Break a leg! 

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 5.  RE: The Addams Family - concerns?

Posted 10-25-2016 08:24
    We produced Addams Family last year!  It was great!  We did clean up some of the humor a bit, ie: Chow down on a Grandma sandwich. Other then just a couple of things, the audience ate it up and came back for seconds.  It had some logistical nightmares and some of the gimmicks were hell to produces, but we made it through with flying colors!

When you're and Addams.. you do what Addams always do!

Do it!

Confidentiality Notice: This E-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply E-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 6.  RE: The Addams Family - concerns?

Posted 10-26-2016 11:29

I just announced that we are doing this show next fall!  Met positively from my administration and parents.  I am not anticipating any issues..... sometimes, it's all about how we direct those scenes more than anything else!

Best of luck!  Maybe we can swap info if we are both busy producing it~

Natalie (Saunders) Dommer
    Director of Theatre
    Ottumwa High School
    501 East Second Street
    Ottumwa, Iowa 52501

• 7.  RE: The Addams Family - concerns?

Posted 10-29-2016 14:32

Thanks for the feedback, folks. It is much appreciated.

I will keep you posted if we decide to produce the show!

Cheers,

Bill Jacobsen
    Drama Teacher / Curriculum Leader
    Hunting Hills High School
    Red Deer Alberta