Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Baseline assessment for a play/musical production?

Posted 02-27-2015 17:00

I'm sitting on a theatre assessment-writing team for Seattle Public Schools and we are flushing out the baseline and cornerstone assessments for our district's theatre curriculum (YES we are adopting the fabulous model cornerstones from NCCAS).  Some of our schools have curricular production classes...where the cornerstone IS producing a full production.

Our question is, what skills, concepts, vocabulary etc would YOU like your students to know about theatre prior to being cast in a production?   How would you assess this basic, prior knowledge?

------------------------------
    Benjamin Stuart
    Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher
    Seattle Public Schools
    Seattle WA

• 2.  RE: Baseline assessment for a play/musical production?

Posted 02-28-2015 16:03
    Please post your final product!

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Phoenix High School

• 3.  RE:Baseline assessment for a play/musical production?

Posted 02-28-2015 21:21
    Ben, I posted my curriculum maps in the EdTA library. Both my Intermediate and Advanced Acting classes have a theatre production unit, which sounds like what you are doing. I aligned the content with NCCAS standards and it's all listed on the maps. Check it out and let me know if that's helpful or if I'm off the mark. The rubrics I'd use for performance right now are the same Oregon uses for our one-act marathon at state (www.oregonthespians.org under "State" tab and "One-Acts" heading for PDF versions) but we haven't looked at the alignment with national standards yet since we created the rubrics before they were done. I suspect it's a matter of adjusting them slightly or officially linking the two together. Let me know! Jo

-------------------------------------------
    Jo Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: Baseline assessment for a play/musical production?

Posted 03-03-2015 09:07
    Parts of the stage and standing positions.  Simon Says works as does labeling a diagram.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI