Open Forum

View Only

It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

• 1.  It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-29-2015 16:28

Hello Everyone,

I am a brand new Theatre teacher.  I have to teach Pre-K - 8th grade.  I have absolutely NO Classroom Management Skills and it is beginning to show.  This last week was my first ever and the kids have kicked my you-know-what into submission.  I already lost my power.  I tried hand gestures to silence them as well as a bell.  My voice is not big and booming and I have to either teach the lower school students in their tiny classroom and the upper school kids in the cafetorium which makes their 20 voices (at a time) sound like 40 to my one.  I burst in to tears in FRONT OF a 6th grade class when two kids sassed me and I could not get them to stay focused and silenced.  

I received a $100 gift card to Amazon from the Parent Teacher Assoc. during Orientation week (all the new teachers did) and I am wondering what best to spend it on book wise.  Do you have a favorite Classroom management book (I was told about 1-2-3 Magic for Teachers today) that you swear by?  Also, I would like to begin my first ever drama bookshelf in my office and do not even have one acting book or play yet....please help me stretch this $100 and by best material to grow my little collection.  I appreciate all of your feedback so very much.

Thank you

------------------------------
    Jennifer Riker

• 2.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-29-2015 17:32
    Hi Jennifer,

Here are a few posts that might help:

Great Book: Fred Jones Tools for Teaching. 

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Silver Spring MD

• 3.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-30-2015 08:40

Teach Like a Champion 2.0 (Doug Lemov) has great strategies in it: Teach Like a Champion 2.0: 62 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College

The First Days of School (Wong & Wong): http://www.amazon.com/First-Days-School-Effective-Teacher/dp/0976423316/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440938213&sr=1-1&keywords=first+days+of+school&pebp=1440938217026&perid=0ZX7R0V4DVBA0MNJHZ9H

Smart Classroom Management is a great blog I read regularly: Smart Classroom Management

You also might ask around the school to see what experienced teachers do with your population. 

Hope this helps!

Lindsay Hearn Brustein
    St. Stephen's Episcopal School
    Austin TX

• 4.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-30-2015 09:53

Jennifer,

I have empathy for you in your new position. I wish teaching was easy, but it rarely is, especially for new positions.  It will be a long year, but you will survive.

I highly recommend you investigate "Love and Logic"

It transformed my approach to education and classroom management about 20 years ago and I still use it every day. It helped me rethink my approach and has saved me on countless times.

Classroom Solutions | Solutions for the Classroom by Love & Logic®

Loveandlogic remove preview
    Classroom Solutions | Solutions for the Classroom by Love & Logic®
    Classroom Solutions | Solutions for the Classroom by Love & Logic® Positive techniques for maintaining calm and effective classrooms Today's educators are faced with a dizzying array of competing demands related to implementing new curricula, student testing and other mandates.
    View this on Loveandlogic >

John Rutherford
    Rochester Hills MI

• 5.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-30-2015 12:00

Hi,

I've seen a lot of k-8 teachers have success with the website and iPhone/iPad app classroom dojo.  It's interactive and has a parent communication component. Good luck!  

ClassDojo

ClassDojo remove preview
    ClassDojo
    Simple, positive classroom management, and parent engagement. Loved by over 35 million teachers, parents, and students.
    View this on ClassDojo >

Tiffany Daily

Castro Valley High School

• 6.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-30-2015 14:47

I agree with others. Teaching is hard; my own first year was brutal, and I was surprised I came back for year 2. I am so glad that I did, because though it is still a difficult job, it is one that is ultimately very rewarding and satisfying. Keep reaching out to those around you in your school for help, to vent, and for support. Keep reaching out to all of us here on EdTA's community for further help and support, specific to teaching drama.

You've got the right idea in searching out for books on classroom management.

I second three of the titles mentioned above:

Teach Like A Champion: Good because it gives you strategies you can pick and choose from to increase engagement, but really are mainly classroom management tools

Fred Jones' 'Tools for Teaching' is a classic, and extremely helpful. It detailed many of the weird set-ups we take for granted in education and blew them up with some very practical, amazingly effective methods for taking control of your classroom without too much effort (the main effort will come from reading the book, which seems long, but is well-written, humorous and encouraging)

Love & Logic: A series of books that I think originated as parenting books (Parenting with Love and Logic, Parenting Teens with Love and Logic, then came Teaching with Love and Logic). Or maybe the other way around. Again, absolutely staggering results with some very simple principles that puts the onus on the student for their behavior, rather than you.

It will be tough, but it will get better. I would recommend choosing one book for classroom management initially, fully immersing yourself with whatever that book happens to be, implement it, master it, and then move on to your next choice. Over time, you will collect and adapt the best of what these books and methods have to offer, and eventually mold it into your own system, because no one book has the final word on classroom management.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 7.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-30-2015 15:09

Getting things started on the right foot is a challenge - I go into each year hoping my first few days with new groups will get us all into the positive routines. I used to reread this (from Love and Logic) every year on the first day of school when I first came into my room to get me into the right 'headspace' - https://www.loveandlogic.com/documents/turn-your-word-into-gold-school.pdf

Loveandlogic remove preview

View this on Loveandlogic >

I am a big fan also of the Glasser Choice Theory. There are some great videos of Glasser theory at work / in application in a classroom (as well as of Love and Logic and many other theories).

I find it helpful to see examples of what 'good' problem-solving looks/sounds like, so that might be a good use of YouTube time for you. :)

Julianna Gibbons
    Salem OR

• 8.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-30-2015 21:37

I bought a book this summer that would be a great addition for your elementary classes.  I will get the title and other info. and send tomorrow.  I am basically doing a similar program for my school so if you ever need to call feel free.  I am having a great year so far and I would be glad to share the approach I am taking.  Are you in an inner city school or suburb type situation?  That will make  a difference in what would be good.

(256) 426-0316

Kristen Tumminello
    Drama Department Program Director
    The Academy for Academics and Arts
    Huntsville AL

• 9.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-30-2015 23:28

Tomorrow is the beginning of another week.  

Set some opening procedures, and follow them every day.  Kids like the security of routine.  If you number them off alphabetically and have each student call off his or her own name and number, you will have accomplished calling roll, and they will be focused.  ("Mary 1" "Peter 2" "Sally 3") 

The younger elementary students like hand claps.  If you clap a simple rhythm of 3 to 5 claps, tell them to clap it with you, then clap it again, they'll catch on.  Without further instructions, just do more patterns for a few minutes to get them all responding together.

Do NOT try to yell them down.  Ask for their attention, then wait for it.  As kids get antsy and start asking, "What are we going to do today," just respond with something like, "I will be happy to tell you once everyone gets quiet."  

If you were assigned a mentor, you might ask that teacher to come in and observe to give you some advice.

Try to learn the kids names as soon as possible.  Notice new haircuts, new sneakers.  Comment on nice smiles, pretty eyes, politeness.  Praise when you can give praise honestly, even if "You got into a circle a little faster today" is the best you can do. 

If someone mentions that you cried in that one class last week, say that you were frustrated and sad because you have so much you want to share with them, but you can't as long as they can't come to order.  That is the truth, isn't it?

Good luck.  Take deep breaths, and treat yourself to bubble baths.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 10.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-31-2015 08:29

Hi Jennifer,

You have some great replies here. I would second "Teaching with Love and Logic". Very useful resource. 

A couple of things to think about right away. 

1) You never win a power struggle. If you feel yourself starting to engage in one, take a few steps back and remember that it can only be a power struggle when you engage. Rely on the fact that you are the teacher. That will give you a lot of strength to stay calm, breathe, and remain loving and firm. My favorite phrase is, "That's okay, you don't have to want to."

2) Find things to help keep your room calm. Play soft music, whisper to the students (you won't be able to talk over them, so talk under them. It's amazing how that works). Get lamps in the room to dim the light if possible. Atmosphere matters.

3) I agree with others who've said establish reliable routines. Every class the students know what to expect  (sit in a circle on the floor that you've established or sit at their desks -depending on what you've set up, look at an image on the board and think about it and wonder how it connects to the day's lesson, etc.) Routines are your best friend. I know many teachers who use Sean Lane's Actor's Toolbox to start every class. Though I quibble with the phrase "control my imagination", it's a really useful way to get students focused. http://www.kennedy-center.org/education/partners/touringbrochure/teacher/Layne_Sean.pdf

4) Make sure you make use of the time as the students are entering your room to make connections with them. Say good morning, comment on new shoes, etc. That goes a long way. As I am sure you know, relationships matter. If you're teaching 400 students a year (like many elementary drama teachers do), make sure your students come into your room with name tags. Make in the other teacher's job to ensure that their children come into your room with name tags on. 

5) I am a firm believer that you can cut down on of the classroom management issues during your lesson planning. Focus on your transitions in between things. That's where we tend to lose students. So, if you're doing a warm-up activity, for example, make sure there is an ending to it that will allow you to move onto the next thing easily. For example, if you're wanting to give new instructions about the next activity, make sure the previous activity will end in a spot where you want your students to be (in a circle, being quiet, standing on a line, etc). I play a the old chestnut of a game where I call out numbers and shapes and students have to get with that number of people and create that shape with their bodies. "4, trianlge", for example. If I have to give directions after that, I make sure that I will say the number of kids in the class (plus 1 for me) and circle "27, circle," for example. Once they are in the circle, you go right into the next thing or quickly reflecting on what just happened. Be aware of using the silences and stillnesses that exist within warmups and games. 

6) I try and keep each activity contained to no longer than the average age of the children I am teaching. So six year olds, do one warm up or lesson moment for no more than 6 minutes (plus or minus). Some you can do for much longer because they could play "Night at the Museum", for example, for 22.5 hours without stopping, but you get the sense of what I mean.

7) Lastly, watch the master teachers in your building. Ask for help. Get observed and form allies with your students and the other teachers in the building. 

I hope these thoughts are useful. 

Get in touch if you need helps/ resources etc.

Peter Duffy

Head of Master of Arts in Teaching, Drama Education

University of South Carolina

duffyp@mailbox.sc.edu

@peterbduffy (twitter) 

• 11.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-31-2015 10:07

Many great suggestions for books and things to do-- and I'm not sure this has been posted for you, yet-- so here goes.

Seek out help from the teachers in the grade levels.  Find a teacher in each level that you think is a good teacher.  Ask them for help.  They are your best resource and will not judge you any less for it.  Indeed, the best teachers will see that you want to grown and learn.  If you get one tip from each of them, that will be quite a tool kit.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 12.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 09-02-2015 15:06

The best advice I can give is this: Never give instruction until everyone is quiet.

Decide what the signal will be for 'quiet', and use it consistently. Be patient, but don't wait forever for them to quiet down. Say, "Ask your neighbor to be quiet." This teaches them that it's everybody's job to get everyone settled down. The more compliant students will help you quiet the class. Start calling on individual students by name, choosing the ones who are most stubborn about complying, and pointing out that you are giving the signal for quiet (just say their name, nothing else). And wait for it.

I frequently, at the start of the year, give the signal for quiet, and then count the seconds till they are silent. I tell them how long it took, and either praise or 'encourage' them ("I know you can do better"), depending.

Once you start talking, if anyone begins speaking again, stop. Look directly at them, say their name if necessary, and wait. The class will help you. Then start over. The class soon learns that nothing happens until everyone is quiet and attentive, and most of them actually do want to hear what's happening next.

No need to yell, no frustration, and the class learns the deal very quickly.

This one tool will make the majority of your classroom management problems go away.

Mike Corliss

Livonia Stevenson H.S.

Michael Corliss
    Livonia MI

• 13.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 09-03-2015 11:31

Mike is spot on. I recall the advice I got early on "never talk while other people are talking (students). Never!" As I passed this on to other teachers, especially those in inner city schools) they would respond with "I will never talk than, because they would never stop!" Could be 10 minutes, could be an hour, could be a day. But it works. Also, Mike is correct, my pay attention signal (yes we even have them in audition admittance arts high schools) is "twinkle twinkle twinkle" hand arm and voice response. You can see it in practice at sotatheatre.org YouTube videos - theatre games.

Phillip Rayher
    Director, Theatre Dept.
    Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts
    San Francisco CA

• 14.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 08-31-2015 19:00

What a goldmine I happened upon in all of you.....or as they say down here, GA...in all y'all. I am quietly taking notes over here.  Thank you a million times.
    Jennifer Riker

• 15.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 09-04-2015 18:18

What I want to say will be cold comfort, though it is heart-felt.  IT GETS BETTER, as they say.  For my first few years of teaching, classroom management was a huge problem for me, so much so that I was on my then-principal's radar for dismissal prior to receiving tenure. I second John's recommendation of Jim Fay's "Love and Logic" Series.  It was important to me at that difficult point in my development.  I am now beginning year 17.  (This is not a book recommendation, but, in my darkest times of the early years, I would secretly decide that I was quitting.  Obviously, I never did, but I found it empowering to live in the idea that I DIDN'T have to do the job if I didn't want to, which made realize, when it was appropriate, that I wanted to do the job.  Clearly, I'm not saying to quit.  But I am saying that developing a sense of self-determination is extremely important for combatting the demons of "what am I to do?/I can't do this.")

Equally important to any book recommendation is learning how to be yourself (and not a teacher ideal) in the context of a classroom.  Learning how to radiate a sense of "I have something really important I want to share with you (and it's important that it REALLY is important to you).  Also an ability to read the room and say, "we have to change; this isn't working."  None of these things come without a lot of time.  

I wish you the best of luck.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 16.  RE: It's gonna be a looooooong year. Please help.

Posted 09-05-2015 06:19

First I would like to say congratulations on the new job, it really does get better.

There have been many books suggested, I will give you a few items they might help you right away.

Most time students enter the classroom in chaos, one of two choices, make them line up outside and not let them enter until they are quiet, remember it is your classroom, your procedures. Or have bell work when they first enter the room for a grade, if they are busy clowning around their grade will suffer.

Take attendance as quick as possible: I have color coded name cards the students must pick up as soon as they enter, attendance takes about 5 seconds after the bell rings. I am teaching as quickly as possible.

Never take things personal, they are children. They can say horrid things but most of the time they don’t even know what they are saying, they are repeating. Love the students hate the behavior. Remain clam, as you ask the student to leave your class and go to the AP office. Follow up with a phone call home. Parents have to be involved

Have your lessons planned and ready every day. I get to work about 1.5 hours before class starts to make sure everything is ready for the day. I think of class like a performance.

I never “Yell”, I project: We do teach theatre after all. I highly suggest getting Rena Cook’s book on voice, or one of the other many good voice books and working on your projection. Even better take some workshop classes on projection. A trained voice should be able to out project 30 high school students, I have out projected a gym full of parents and students to get attention.. If you have some other reason why you can’t project, there are many ways to amplify your voice to help protect your voice. Never strain your voice teaching it is our #1 tool after all.

I hope this helps and break a leg!

Greg Alldredge
    Head Director
    Cypress TX