Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Acting exercises

Posted 01-12-2017 07:31
    I am currently directing a production of Sweeney Todd and have a acting dilemma. I have a very talented freshman student that can sing and dance incredibly. He is s gifted actor but tends to be very melodramatic and is prone to exaggerate every piece of blocking I give him.
    My question is, I am trying to quickly use his strengths to create the role of Anthony, but are they any tips or exercises that will help him, and myself, get the performance to a less melodramatic place?
    Thank you for your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Acting exercises

Posted 01-12-2017 11:09
    What type of technique work have you done with him? Take him back to basic acting exercises for his character to really understand what the goal is, why the obstacle is in that way, and what tactics he is using. Remind him to play the tactic and not the action. 

Is he a kid who responds to environmental stimuli? If he is, and there are other kids in the room, he may be playing up to them without even realizing it; especially as a freshman. It can be intimidating to be so young and have a cast that is older than you. I've found that a young actor may think he needs to "prove" himself to everyone else. If you can work with just him and his scene partners you may find he stops trying to be as "big". 

You could also have a conversation to the cast as a whole about responding naturally. If anyone is becoming melodramatic have the other members of the cast respond, in character, to the reality that is being created on the stage. In real life people don't respond normally to someone who is behaving in an over-the-top manner so let the other characters respond in a realistic manner.  

Do you have any videos of productions where you can see the melodramatic actor working side-by-side with someone who is responding realistically? It might be helpful to allow him to see the difference. Have him reflect on which type of actor he thinks is performing more appropriately to the moment. Then ask him why? Finally have him reflect on what he can see in his own work that is similar, and different, from the actors he just watched. 

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Acting exercises

Posted 01-12-2017 20:11
    I second Shira's advice about focusing on objective/obstacle/tactics.  I have found, for some students, once they've internalized those principles, a simple side coaching comment of "get what you want" is enough to snap them back into the scene.

Certainly sympathetic to your plight.  A lot of our time is spent getting students to use their bodies and voices in bigger and bolder ways than they use them as they move through their daily lives.  It's understandable that there are those who will cross the line into melodrama.  Recently, in a response to a query I posted in the community, someone (I wish I could remember who and give credit where credit is due!) offered the phrase "Don't act.  Be."  Might be useful.

Best of luck.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 4.  RE: Acting exercises

Posted 01-12-2017 23:07
    Thank you both for the advise. I actually had thought of video some of his scenes at tonight's rehearsal and showing them to him tomorrow. I hope that is hrlpful. Thank you for adding good side coaching comments. 
    I had not processed that he is the only freshman in a mostly junior senior cast. I will try rehearing just him and his main scene partner soon as well.
    Thank you for the outside perspective, and sound advise. I am excited to dig in further and see where we end up. 
    P. S. Our department motto this year, is: "just be." My focus this year has been to focus on listening and responding in the moment.  

Joshua Cain

• 5.  RE: Acting exercises

Posted 01-13-2017 09:22
    There is always the classic Stanislavsky's Ring...

Have the student turn off his phone then take it.  Have him "look for his lost phone" while you are holding it. Chances are he will "perform" for the group.  Then send him out of the room and actually hide his phone.  Bring him back and let him look for it.  At first there is likely to be a "performance."  After a while, let him continue to look as you start rehearsal.  Add some side coaching as rehearsal progresses.  You, your cast, and the student will know when things get "real."  Discuss the differences.  Eventually, give him back his phone. (or not ;-))

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 6.  RE: Acting exercises

Posted 01-13-2017 10:26
    It's an old school approach, but any exercises devised by Viola Spolin aim the actor toward sincerity and authenticity.
    Try Improvisation for the Theatre and/or GAmes for the Classroom. 

Rebecca Fahning
    Theatre Teacher
    Las Vegas NV