Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play and Scene Study

Posted 01-02-2021 14:31

Hi All:

Happy New Year!

I'm looking for a play for my beginning drama class that checks these boxes:

*Good for studying/analyzing as a complete play

*Good to pull scenes from for scene and character analysis and for scene work/performance (Objective, Obstacle, Tactic, etc.). I have female heavy classes so I would need female-female scenes and female male scenes.

I have used Brighton Beach Memoirs in the past but I don't feel comfortable using that piece with a beginning class because of some of the gender dynamics and sexual content.

Thanks for your help!

Jonathan Westerberg

Mira Costa High School

Drama/Tech Department, ELD

MANHATTAN BEACH UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT E-MAIL DISCLAIMER. This communication and any documents, files, or previous e-mail messages attached to it constitute an electronic communication within the scope of the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 USCA 2510. This communication may contain non-public, confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole purpose of the designated recipient(s). The unlawful interception, use or disclosure of such information is strictly prohibited under 18 USCA 2511 and any applicable laws.

• 2.  RE: Play and Scene Study

Posted 01-03-2021 12:10
    Here are a few possibilities for use:
    1. Bang Bang You're Dead! by William Mastrosimone (male parts that could be read by girls, timely play, well written)
    2. To See the Stars (Dramatic Publishing)
    3. Radium Girls (full-length/one act) Dramatic Publishing
    4. Dark Road (Playscripts Inc)
    5. Agnes of God (Samuel French?)
    6. Doubt (2 female, 1 male)
    7. Twelve Angry Jurors
    8. Waiting for the Parade (Samuel French)
    9. Women and War by Jack Hilton Cunningham
    10. Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl
    11. Good Kids by Naomi Iizuka
    12. The Wrestling Season

------------------------------
    William Dawson
    Professional Speech and Theatre Educator, Director

• 3.  RE: Play and Scene Study

Posted 01-04-2021 08:31
    We've always used Picnic under those circumstances, though I have toyed with switching to Silent Sky or These Shining Lives.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 4.  RE: Play and Scene Study

Posted 01-05-2021 09:20

I'm not familiar with These Shining Lives-will check it out. Thanks Cassy!

Jonathan Westerberg

Mira Costa High School

MANHATTAN BEACH UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT E-MAIL DISCLAIMER. This communication and any documents, files, or previous e-mail messages attached to it constitute an electronic communication within the scope of the Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 18 USCA 2510. This communication may contain non-public, confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole purpose of the designated recipient(s). The unlawful interception, use or disclosure of such information is strictly prohibited under 18 USCA 2511 and any applicable laws.

• 5.  RE: Play and Scene Study

Posted 01-05-2021 09:18

Thank you William. Some great titles on this list!

Jonathan Westerberg

Mira Costa High School

• 6.  RE: Play and Scene Study

Posted 01-04-2021 13:01
    John, if you would like to start your beginning class off with a melodrama, you can't go wrong with Under the Gaslight by Augustin Daly.  So much fun! 

I found a pdf of a yellowed script that someone had scanned and posted online years ago, and I transferred it to a Word doc.  It was published in 1867, so well into the public domain.  I will be happy to send you the file, if you are interested.  Since it is a Word doc, you can easily cut out scenes.

The old cartoon trope of someone tied to the railroad tracks appears for the first time in Under the Gaslight, except it is a man tied down and a young woman who rescues him!

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator

• 7.  RE: Play and Scene Study

Posted 01-05-2021 09:21

Great-I would love a copy CJ. Thanks!

jwesterberg@mbusd.org

Jonathan Westerberg

Mira Costa High School