Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  "A Few Good Men" with more women...?

Posted 05-19-2019 13:28
    I am strongly looking into Aaron Sorkin' A Few Good Men for a show next year, but the numbers of men are lower than 14, most likely. Since we now have women serving on the front line in the military, is it feasible to do the show with more women in the Marines? I realize some characters would need to be gender-consistent (Santiago/Dawn/Downey, for example, since the code red happens in the barracks), but is this idea crazy? Just interested in reactions.

------------------------------
    Nathan Emmons
    Theatre Director
    La Jolla CA

• 2.  RE: "A Few Good Men" with more women...?

Posted 05-19-2019 14:51
    My initial thought is that you could probably add more to the courtroom scenes. I wouldn't add any female characters before, so the audience gets to see the scenes of Jo struggling as a lone woman surrounded by men who don't want to accept her.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: "A Few Good Men" with more women...?

Posted 05-19-2019 15:47
    I was thinking more could some of the marines involved be women.

• 4.  RE: "A Few Good Men" with more women...?

Posted 05-20-2019 09:15
    The bailiff could be a female, as could some of the other minor parts and characters.  I think it would be appropriate for some of the additional soldiers to be female as long as there are more male soldiers because that would be consistent with the enlistment in that particular branch of the military.

Amy MacCord
    Westwood Middle School
    ELA department chair
    6th grade Reading and Language Arts
    Theater 6th-8th
    http://mrsmaccord.weebly.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this email and attached document(s) may contain confidential information that is intended only for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance upon the information is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete it from your system.

• 5.  RE: "A Few Good Men" with more women...?

Posted 05-20-2019 04:14
    Aaron Sorkin and his "team" are VERY protective of his work - I highly suggest that you ask the publisher for the rights and the right to alter the play before you make too many plans.  

Kathleen Conner
    California State Thespians CFO

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone on the Verizon 4G LTE Network

• 6.  RE: "A Few Good Men" with more women...?

Posted 05-20-2019 07:48
    Even today, women only account for 8% of the Marines (and that is among officers- the number is lower when looking at the enlisted ranks.)  Further, a key part of the work is Jo's isolation- not surrounded or supported- by those in ranks with her.  In my opinion, adding women would lessen that impact.  I'd check with the publisher first, to see if what you are thinking is even feasible, and then consider the reality of military service for women- particularly in the Marines.

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 7.  RE: "A Few Good Men" with more women...?

Posted 05-26-2019 15:20
    i would say, why force a square peg?   Just look for another play where you might give an unknown playwright a performance.    Also AFGM is well known and the outcome is well known as well.   Why not a play where the audience doesn't know what is going to happen?

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 8.  RE: "A Few Good Men" with more women...?

Posted 05-26-2019 15:28
    Why do this play? Because its themes remain remarkably germane. Because we do plays all the time where the public knows the outcome (no ideas being original, just the execution) - Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Crucible...it's a long list. Because I don't see it as forcing a square peg, but rather a possibility to see the new landscape through a superb script. 
    That said - I've nothing against lesser known playwrights, and it's certainly persuasive that the percentage of women in the Marines makes shifting casting hard (and of course, complying with Sorkin's wishes is important). But if a play is good, it's worth doing - regardless of the reach of their name.

Nathan Emmons
    Theatre Director
    La Jolla CA