Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical Theatre Class suggestions

Posted 07-17-2015 23:41

I need suggestions for a short (45-60 minute) musical that will be intersting for Middle School kids to produce, but easy on me tech wise. My district is teaming me up with the choir teacher to team teach a musical theater class for 60ish kids. She wants to perform a musical in the spring as a class project. I'm hoping for something that is NOT tech heavy ( no sets or costumes) because I know that will all fall on me.

This is taking the place of her beginning choir class and my beginning drama class, so these kids have no experience and no commitment to our department yet. She doesn't want anything that we'll have to work on after school, and wants to rehearse from October to March in class. I'm also open to ideas for a different project of any kind if you have taught a similar class. We both don't just want a "showcase" or choir show. That's what was not working with the beginning kids, and why we're teaming up this year. 

In addition to this I'll teach a year long Theatre Basics class (scene studys, tech, critique), and an Advanced Performance class (festival competitions and a one act). I already also direct our after school musical that has open auditions.

------------------------------
    Nicole Pedroche
    Drama Teacher
    Covina CA

• 2.  RE: Musical Theatre Class suggestions

Posted 07-18-2015 06:48

MTI Junior products seem like a good choice. Try something like Schoolhouse Rock Live Jr. We have done it and had great fun!

Nell Lynch

• 3.  RE: Musical Theatre Class suggestions

Posted 07-19-2015 01:41

Does anyone know about how much it usually costs to get the rights for the Jr. versions? What does the package include? We use MTI for our spring musical, and it's hefty, but worth it since we charge admission over 4 performances. We'll probably only have the Musical Theater class perform one night, and I'd hate to not break even. 
    Nicole Pedroche
    Drama Teacher
    Covina CA

• 4.  RE:Musical Theatre Class suggestions

Posted 07-19-2015 07:33
    I believe the Broadway Jr. shows run about $500 for the show kit. The good thing is that, unlike a traditional musical, the show kit comes with unlimited rights to perform for a year.

-------------------------------------------
    Greg Franklin
    Bakersville NC
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 5.  RE: Musical Theatre Class suggestions

Posted 07-18-2015 10:07

Hi Nicole,

i'm not sure if this is involved enough with character work for the length of time for preparation, or if you can work that many kids into it, but the first thing that pops into my mind is "How to Eat like a Child." I don't remember the author, but it's carried by Samuel French. I did it with jeans and T-shirts in various colors but all printed with the show title.  The set we used were blocks that we moved into various formations. Easily done with just a piano accompaniment. It's broken down in short vignettes that are easy to rehearse.

just a thought.

holly

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 6.  RE: Musical Theatre Class suggestions

Posted 07-18-2015 22:14

Nicole, I'd be interested to hear how this year goes for you, as I am planning on adding a Musical Theatre class for the 2016/2017 year, and I know I might well be reaching way out of my comfort level with such a step!

The MTI junior versions could be a great place to start. If you are doing a performance that's paid entry, then familiarity is going to bring more folks into the auditorium. A colleague of mine recently talked of doing the junior/hour long version of 'High School Musical' and its benefits, being that it's a super popular brand, and the shorter version retains pretty much all the songs you want to do anyway (for the most part).

In terms of not too tech heavy...any production you do can be as tech light or tech heavy as you want! Going for minimal, well-made set pieces often works better (and works out cheaper) than super elaborate and fancy sets. Just a thought.

Hope it works out well, and as I said, I'd love to follow how this works out for you and talk about how it goes.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 7.  RE: Musical Theatre Class suggestions

Posted 07-19-2015 23:09

Hi Nicole,

Let me jump on the MTI train as well. Their Junior versions retain the important songs and scenes from the full production, but are kid friendly. Any objectionable bits are gone. And the songs are transposed into keys suitable for young voices. May I suggest "Dear Edwina" by Marcy Heisler and Zina Goldrich. It is wonderfully funny, has many opportunities for both solo and group work, is filled with eccentric characters, allows for great creativity in blocking and choreography,and can be done with minimal tech.

Good luck.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 8.  RE: Musical Theatre Class suggestions

Posted 07-19-2015 17:58

Hi Nicole,

I just finished Schoolhouse Rock Jr. with a musical theatre summer school class and they had a wonderful time.  Not much set just some boxes or a few platform steps for some levels.  It really is a musical theatre review so that the script can be shared among many students and so can the songs and solos.  Kids in middle school love the catchy tunes and also love watching the original videos.

Debby Shellard

Deborah Shellard
    Drama Teacher
    Attea Middle School
    Glenview IL

• 9.  RE: Musical Theatre Class suggestions

Posted 07-20-2015 21:33

I've worked with K-12 students for 18 years and have a lot of experience with that age group.  I'd suggest, as many others have, either Schoolhouse Rock Jr, or Dear Edwina Jr. 

Schoolhouse can be performed easily in t-shirt and jeans, but is fairly prop heavy (but, they aren't difficult props...) Dear Edwina works with the kids' own clothing, but you will need a girl scout uniform and a cheer outfit. Minimal and easy props.  Both have gone over well with my middle school kids, and I've done each twice. I've done almost all of the Jr shows that MTI has.  They all work really well. 

In addition, Pioneer Drama has several one act musicals that are fun and have a ton of roles.  I'd suggest Rock Around the Block (except you'd need the 50s costumes...so...)  I've done over 40 of these Pioneer Drama shows, if you count repeats.

Both MTI and Pioneer Drama have backtrack CDs which make it really easy to produce.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions! 

Shileah Corey
    Mountlake Terrace WA