Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Modern Interpretations of "A Christmas Carol"

Posted 03-17-2017 14:35
    I'm thinking about my high school season for next year and would like to do a modern interpretation of "A Christmas Carol".  Does anyone know of any particular scripts they enjoy?

------------------------------
    Joanna Fellows
    Drama Director
    Seneca Valley High School
    Germantown MD

• 2.  RE: Modern Interpretations of "A Christmas Carol"

Posted 03-18-2017 12:35
    Inspecting Carol by Daniel Sullivan (it was created with the ensemble at the Seattle Repertory Theatre) is more of a satire than a modern version, but it's a lot of fun.

http://www.samuelfrench.com/p/2318/inspecting-carol
    Excerpt:
    http://www.samuelfrench.com/Download/GetFile?downloadId=101066

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 3.  RE: Modern Interpretations of "A Christmas Carol"

Posted 03-18-2017 20:13
    "The Trial of Ebenezer Scrooge" - very funny!

Beth Rand

High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training online course: Summer Session starts June 12. Spaces still available.
    Author of "High School Theatre Operations"

www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 4.  RE: Modern Interpretations of "A Christmas Carol"

Posted 03-19-2017 20:32
    Ditto for Inspecting Carol. Really about the company doing the play and so much fun. I directed it in community theatre and not only did the cast have fun rehearsing it, the audience loved it.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Modern Interpretations of "A Christmas Carol"

Posted 03-20-2017 09:16
    A Suessified Christmas Carol is great fun. Lots of room for creative props and costumes. 

https://www.playscripts.com/play/2294

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: Modern Interpretations of "A Christmas Carol"

Posted 03-21-2017 12:08
    My favorite version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, which I directed with a cast of 40, is A CHRISTMAS CAROL: SCROOGE and MARLEY, by Israel Horovitz. (I believe it is at DPS.) With a prologue and epilogue by Jacob Marley, it was both inventive and a great deal of fun for the cast and crew. 

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education
    TRW
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: Modern Interpretations of "A Christmas Carol"

Posted 03-20-2017 14:49
    I have an adaptation that I have written, A Christmas Carol: as told by Charles Dickens. It is based on the idea that Dickens used to do readings of A Christmas Carol and his love of the theatre. It uses the Nicholas Nickleby approach to production where the chorus steps in and out of character as well as narrate the transitions while they move set pieces into place for the next scene. 

The ghost are to be bigger-than-life puppets, with the exception of Marley who could be an actor on dry-wall stilts. This sets them apart from the rest of the cast and gives them an other worldly feel.

There are 14 male roles, 9 female roles, plus narrators, misc. ghosts, party guests, carolers, and merchants. There are also two teen girls and two teen boys, plus four children (at least one must be a boy). This script is envisioned for a small cast of 8 - 10 adults (three women) and 3 - 5 children, with a group of carolers, possibly from the cast. With doubling. the show can be done with as few as 6 men, 3 women, 2 teens (one boy, one girl) and 2 children (one must play a boy).

If you are interested let me know at jvanleishout@gmail.com and I can send you a perusal copy. 

Hope you find something that works for you.

James A. Van Leishout

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 8.  RE: Modern Interpretations of "A Christmas Carol"

Posted 03-22-2017 09:59
    We produced our own adaptation of A Christmas Carol this past December which we were very pleased with.
    It has a large flexible cast with three narrators. We set the play in an indeterminate past time. It focuses on Scrooge's transformation quite strongly.

If you would like to read a section of it, feel free to contact me.

All the best in your search.

Bill Jacobsen
    Drama Teacher / Curriculum Leader
    Hunting Hills High School
    Red Deer Alberta