Open Forum

View Only

Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

• 1.  Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 12-31-2019 16:03
    So many here have such amazing experiences and insights into producing Shakespeare at the high school level.  I'd love to tap the hive and see what results on this question. The results will greatly help me in selecting which play is my first full Shakespeare production experience.

1. What is your favorite Shakespeare comedy to produce at the high school level?

2. Why?

Thank you so much!

------------------------------
    Brett Buffum
    Theatre Teacher
    Spring Hill KS

• 2.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-01-2020 03:54
    Personally, I like Midsummer. The 4 lovers and the rude mechs help an audience hook in just in terms of themes and great characters. I am also a fan of As You Like It as I think it's such a charming show about love with one of my favorite heroines. My third favorite is 12th Night as I like the gender swapping leads and I think Malvolio's silliness has a lovely slightly heart-breaking arc. Also those shows have less problems like Taming of the Shrew (gender complexity - what do you do with the last monologue of Kate's) or Much Ado (I have a hard time with Hero forgiving Claudio). I may consider Merry Wives and Comedy of Errors before those two... But I anticipate working on them all with HS eventually :) Curious what others think... Thanks for asking...

Colleen Mylott
    Secondary Theatre Teacher
    Peak to Peak Charter School
    Lafayette, CO

• 3.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-01-2020 12:27
    I have produced Midsummer at least four times with both small and large casts.  I also love Comedy of Errors and Much Ado about Nothing.

Carol Knarr Gebert
    Jay County High School
    Portland, Indiana
    cgebert@jayschools.k12.in.us
    419-910-1287
    Thespian Troupe #574

• 4.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-01-2020 12:39
    Midsummer and The Tempest would be my favorites.  Midsummer has so much fun in it with the lovers, the duke, the greatest final scene in theater and fight choreography.  I've produced it for a about 90 minutes and as a one act, so fun to adapt the language as well.  My favorite things about The Tempest are the larger than life characters and The "magic" in The Tempest is great to work with.   Again, I've produced The Tempest as a modified full length and a one act as well.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-01-2020 12:49
    I directed Much Ado About Nothing several years ago and had great success.  The banter between Benedict and Beatrice is fun for the high school students.  I was concerned that the students would struggle with memorization, but they actually dropped script sooner than I anticipated.  I think that it was easier due to memorizing a poetic script.  We were able to create one basic set of Don Pedro's estate, and then establish a few other acting spaces for a few of the other scenes.  A concern with Shakespeare plays is the number of roles for girls, but I was able to create a way to include a few more females in our production.

Good luck.  I will be interested to hear what show you choose.

Lex Rhoadarmer
    Clearwater KS

• 6.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-01-2020 13:36
    Definately, Much Ado About Nothing!!!  LOVE it

Nancy Gibson
    Eagle Theater Teacher
    Racine Unified School District
    Racine WI

• 7.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-01-2020 13:40
    All great suggestions here, but ":Midsummer" would be at the top of my list. There is a reason it has been on the EdTA list of most often-performed plays in high schools for many years. It's a great introduction to Shakespeare for both the cast and your audiences. The young lovers, Oberon and Titania, as many fairies as you want to cast, and the mechanicals offer all kinds of roles. Above all, it's a director's dream. It works in almost any setting and time period.

Roger Paolini
    Buffalo NY

• 8.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-01-2020 20:07
    Loving all of the great feedback to this. Your insights are definitely helping me. Keep them coming :)

Thank you so much!
    Brett

Brett Buffum
    Theatre Teacher
    Spring Hill KS

• 9.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-02-2020 09:25
    A Midsummer Night's Dream is a great introduction to Shakespeare. The casting is so flexible with doubling some parts, or not. I did a 90 minute version with two casts of 26 each in 1960's costumes. The Fairies sang "Mr. Sandman" in harmony during the dream scene. It was a huge success.

Kate Costello
    Theater director
    Arlington Heights IL

• 10.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-02-2020 09:32
    My first was Romeo and Juliet. I was really afraid that I would have problems casting it, but kids came out of the woodwork for the opportunity. I've done it twice with high school students. I also echo the recommendation for Midsummer. It's one of my all time favorites. I've also done Much Ado and Merry Wives to great success.

We staged Midsummer in the round. I had a huge stage and I built a 16x16 platform at center stage and seated the audience onstage around it. To give you an idea about how big the stage was, I seated 325 with four wide voms for the actors! I also hung an 8x8 platform, which the actors accessed by climbing ropes, from the grid to give some verticality to the space. It was magic! I've been afraid to touch it since.

In 16 years in that school, I discovered that, statistically, my Shakespeare's were the most popular productions. I had larger audiences for those than I did for my musicals!

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Retired
    Centreville VA

• 11.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-02-2020 10:15
    While I have directed Romeo and Juliet and Much Ado with success, Midsummer is still the all time favorite. The reasons are all listed above, large/small cast, flexibility in casting, etc. I have used scaffolding draped in flowers and greenery this allowing the fairies to "fly" and giving the stage many levels. I RARELY repeat shows, but this one I have done twice and each time the students and the audiences have loved it. Break A Leg!

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 12.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-02-2020 17:20
    Hi,
    One of the fun things about Midsummer is it adapts so easily to different time periods and locations.
    We live in a beach community, so I made Titania, Oberon, Puck, and the fairies local surfers, the mechanicals were local jobs llke lifeguard, massage therapist, bicycle cop, beach comber, etc, and the lovers were tourists. We set it on the beach with lots of local references.
    The students and the audience had a blast.
    Hope this helps,
    Erik

Erik Stein
    Casting Director/Recruitment Coordinator
    PCPA Pacific Conservatory Theatre

Author of No Caution! A step-by-step guide to preparing auditions for Universities, Colleges, Conservatories, and Beyond!

Available on Amazon.com and other online booksellers

• 13.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-03-2020 09:06
    Midsummer, Tempest, Comedy. 

Romeo and Juliet is a comedy until 3.1, I loved producing that one. 

Rebecca Black
    Teacher/Director
    Wayland MI

• 14.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-04-2020 17:45
    I agree that Midsummer is oodles of fun.  It is also a good choice if you need to work around student rehearsal conflicts for the first several weeks, as you can rehearse character groups.  I have used as many as 12 fairies, which is a great way to get new students who are not really ready for lines involved in a show, learning that all-important active listening and movement in character.  As long as you have different costume looks for the fairy kingdom, Rude Mechanicals, and the Athenians lovers, etc., audiences should have no trouble understanding it.

Comedy of Errors is hilarious, and also only 90 minutes.  This one is great for working on physical humor, double-takes, etc.  Use a dumb show for the long story at the beginning to avoid losing your audience before the action starts.  

Romeo and Juliet is a sure bet for high school, if you find the humor.  As someone mentioned, it is a comedy for the first couple of acts.  When we did it a few years ago, we set it in 1963, on the cusp of the youth revolution, which enabled me to use wooden tennis rackets for the fight at the beginning of the play.  

I loved directing The Tempest, which was in genre textbooks our English classes were using for 10th grade.  I cast Prospero, Antonio, and Gonzalo as females.  (I switched the final o to a more than a decade ago, but I wouldn't bother now.)  The sister usurping her sister worked well, and the relationship between Antonio and Sebastian became electric.  I used about 10 "spirits" who made the storm, tossed sailors around, entered barking, became the tree Prospero puts clothing on, etc.  I think Prospero's speeches need some trimming for high school.

Finally, Much Ado About Nothing was so much fun!  We set it in the 1920s and I cast females as the messenger, Antonio, Conrad, Verges, Balthazar, and several of the Watch, in addition to the characters written as females.  Putting the Prince's company in 1920s golf clothes, with the company carrying leather golf club bags, let us assume they were coming from a tournament, not an actual war.  

One of the huge benefits of doing Shakespeare is that students who aren't totally committed to being word-perfect in their memorization learn that it is very difficult to ad lib in a Shakespearean play.  The words fit together like a puzzle, and they usually make more sense when you hear them than they do on the page, so students practice out loud and hold book for each other. 

If you have not yet directed Shakespeare in high school, I advise you to make time for table work in your rehearsal schedule.  (If you've directed Shakespeare, you already know that!)  I didn't do that the first time I directed the Bard, and I spent much longer than the table work would have taken stopping rehearsal to clarify meaning for students who were just reciting lines they clearly didn't understand. 

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC

• 15.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-07-2020 13:58
    I mean Midsummer, obviously, especially if is their first Shakespeare.  

I also did and loved Twelfth Night.  It has some great roles and the kids do get it.   We also recently did, As You Like It.  - Fluff but fun.

Much Ado is so guy heavy although I love Benedict & Beatrice.

Christine DeFrancesco
    Theatre Teacher
    Huntley High School
    Huntley, IL

• 16.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-10-2020 12:53
    We cut and produced Hamlet a few years ago... seemed sort of crazy when we announced it... one of my favorite shows to cut/direct/experience.  

Whatever you do try include your English Dept people if u can and plan loads of extra time for memorization etc...  

Also, don't chicken out - as the sportspeople say, just do it.

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 17.  RE: Your Favorite Shakespeare Comedy for H.S.

Posted 01-12-2020 09:39
    I love doing Midsummer with students. Created a cut one act version, and produced the full length twice. Ran pwriod if I did was last concept. Also have done Twelfth Night twice. Set that in the 20's Jazz era including som music ("If Music be the food of  love..." inspired that) and it translated really well. Last year we did a cut one act version, in the round, of Tempest. Technically not a comedy, has some elementa though. . Kids and audience loved it.

Paula Flautt
    CPA Artistic Director
    Nashville TN