Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cast Members Who Are Not in Theatre Classes

Posted 02-22-2015 14:29
    When I cast a show, I often cast a few students who are not in theatre class. It is a way to involve more students and open up the theatre program to more students in the school. But how do I integrate the "uneducated" with the students who have acting skills?

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Cast Members Who Are Not in Theatre Classes

Posted 02-23-2015 07:23

John,

While I don't have a true theatre class in my school, my delineation is "troupe vs. non troupe." Similar. 

I think it comes down to setting a mindset and expectations of the veterans.. And it's really not "uneducated" vs. "Students with acting skills." The 2nd string tight end on the football team may have mad skills, what he's lacking is training. So let's say "trained vs. untrained."

I try to make sure that my veterans know they are to mentor the less experienced. Also, they know that if a newbie comes in with a dynamite audition, "your resume does not impress me." (Obviously, body of work is going to influence borderline calls, but you get the idea.) So, a little extra attention to the newbies on my part, coupled with an expectation of mentorship from the vets.

At closing night of the Spring Play, I recognize every Senior who so much as sniffed the stage during their HS years, regardless of whether they worked with me or not. Every one receives a small token, as well as a punch card good for 5 admissions to future school shows. 

To sum up: I try to do what I can to get across the message that this is not our little club, it is a playground, and the more people on it, the more fun we can have. I have also been known to throw in a few political lessons about how having more and newer people helps us look good in the eyes of the admin. 

Scott
    Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 3.  RE: Cast Members Who Are Not in Theatre Classes

Posted 02-23-2015 09:26
    As I block I do my best to educate the greener performers. It often happens in the musicals because sometimes we cast more for voice ~ these guys need to know up from down, objectives, how to stand & turn...!!! At times I request some one-on-one time with a "newbie".

Elyse Tomlinson

• 4.  RE: Cast Members Who Are Not in Theatre Classes

Posted 02-23-2015 12:41

I always encourage a mix of students who are both in acting classes and those who are not to audition.  Yes, it is a way to open up the department and to also keep theatre majors from becoming closed societies.  I found that partnering acting students with non acting students in warm up exercises and line run thrus are good ways for both to learn from each other.  Improvisation is an excellent warm up exercise between the two groups.

Maria Boundas Bakallis  Ed/D

Director

Maria Bakalis
    Director
    Glen Ellyn IL

• 5.  RE: Cast Members Who Are Not in Theatre Classes

Posted 02-24-2015 07:05
    I really don't worry about whether an actor in one of my shows is in my actual class because for me, rehearsal is just an extension of my class. I expect the kids who aren't in class to pick things up on the fly. If they're willing to work hard, that isn't a problem. If they're not willing to work, they don't last in my program. Those who work hard tend to earn larger parts later on in their time in my program. In fact, my primary concern in casting is not the kids' training or talent. My main concern is that they'll do the required work it takes to be successful. If they're willing to work, the kids who can't fit my class into their schedule will be just as successful (and sometimes even more successful) in a production as a kid who's been in my class all 4 years of high school. ------------------------------ Cindy Henry Teacher USD 461 Neodesha KS ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Cast Members Who Are Not in Theatre Classes

Posted 02-24-2015 09:43

I agree with everyone else. I don't think it really matters if a student who is cast is in the theatre classes or not. If they were cast in the show then they showed me something I wanted to put into my cast. My more advanced kids (both techies and actors) know that they are expected help mentor greener students. This has never been a problem because the kids know that they will have a better rehearsal and run if everyone understands what needs to happen.

One of the nice things about kids who aren't in the classes who become part of the show is that many of them choose to take theatre after the run finishes. It's probably one of the best recruiting tools I have. :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Cast Members Who Are Not in Theatre Classes

Posted 02-24-2015 15:51
    I teach in an academic magnet school where many of our students' schedules are consumed with AP courses so they never have time to take a theater class. I always have to cast students who have not taken my class, and often they are the leads in the musical because they have the best voices. I would much rather have the option of casting anyone who auditions rather than just the kids with "training." The new ones get a 5 week crash course and hopefully a life-long appreciation of theatre!

Jodi Improta
    Fine Arts Department Chair
    Fullerton CA

• 8.  RE: Cast Members Who Are Not in Theatre Classes

Posted 02-25-2015 10:21

In our company, everyone who auditions, applies to work backstage or wants to work front of house may be part of the show.  Talented, dedicated kids, including those with Special Needs and English Language Learners, cannot always receive the training of those in my performance classes.  Regardless, all may be a part if they choose.

Also, after-school jobs, family issues, and commitments to other organizations sometimes mean that even senior members of my acting classes cannot participate in our shows.  Therefore, I develop alternative assessments for them (dramaturgy, helping with publicity and marketing, etc.).  All of this has practical applications for our shows and it further helps build a positive community spirit among all of the students.

While I recognize that other programs limit their casting to only those in their Drama Clubs or Drama Classes, the benefits of running a non-cut program are numerous.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 9.  RE: Cast Members Who Are Not in Theatre Classes

Posted 02-25-2015 14:42
    I, too, teach in a school where academics is high on the list. We have a tremendous amount of AP classes, and my best actors never get to take my classes. My classes have been more for those students who need Fine Arts credit. Many have no idea what they are getting into and balk at the beginning of each semester. I only gain a few students from my classes that join in our work after school. If I relied on my classes for my program, i wouldn't have a program. ------------------------------ John Freeman Mount de Sales Academy Theatre Director / Fine Arts Director Macon GA ------------------------------