Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Favorite 10 Minute Plays

Posted 04-08-2021 15:51
    Hello friends.

To conclude the most insane and challenging year of the last 20 years of directing theater, we are very, very quickly putting together a simple evening of 10 minute plays and some assorted music.  I asked this question about seven years ago on here, but I was hoping for some fresh NEW ideas.  What is your FAVORITE 10 minute play you have produced/directed with your high school groups?

I would prefer simple, simple sets and scripts that do not cost extravagant amounts. 
    I am already reading a few, but there is such a range of ¨quality¨ out there.  I was hoping to get some quick suggestions from this amazing group.
    Thank you in advance.

------------------------------
    James McCulloch
    Drama Director of Mariner Drama
    Marine City, Michigan
    jmcculloch@ecsd.us

• 2.  RE: Favorite 10 Minute Plays

Posted 04-09-2021 11:19
    I have some old 10-minute play books from the Actor's Theatre of Louisville, and they include several fun titles. They can run to a bit adult, so you may not be able to use all of them at your school depending on your audience. Here are my favorites:
    The League of Semi-Superheroes
    The Philadelphia
    Breaking the Chain
    Small World
    Night Visits
    Lonely

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 3.  RE: Favorite 10 Minute Plays

Posted 04-09-2021 11:37
    I love a lot of the David Ives stuff, with edits....also Actors Theatre of Louisville series..Marred Bliss was one of my favorites...Craig Slaight Class Action is good... And Almost, Maine, of course. Good luck!

Other collections are Picture This - scenes 
    about art- and 10 by 10 scenes inspired by the 10co.mandments, and 24 Hours a.m and 24 Hours p.m-- each scene takes place at a certain hour of the day.

• 4.  RE: Favorite 10 Minute Plays

Posted 04-12-2021 10:26
    The Scary Question by Wayne Rawsley 1m, 1w A man has a serious question for his girlfriend about her zombie plan. Very funny! 

Nothing by Phillip Dawkins 8-10, 2m, 2w - this requires some costumes and props, but could be done on the cheap with cardboard. A father gets frustrated when his son doesn't want to talk about his day. So the son makes up a fantastic story about school. Fun and goofy, and a little heartwarming as well.

Cabfare for the Common Man by Mark Harvey Levine 6-10 variable. A quick trip through a person's life, from growing up to falling in love.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Favorite 10 Minute Plays

Posted 04-13-2021 15:07
    One of my favorites is "Loons" by Bradley Hayward (Heuer Publishing).

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 6.  RE: Favorite 10 Minute Plays

Posted 04-15-2021 14:25
    Here is a list of eight 10-minute plays that I recommend for high school students:
    Beauty by Jane Martin
    The Skewed Picture by Andrew Biss
    Common App by Martha Douglas - Osmundson
    Head Space by Cynthia Faith Arsenault
    Telephones and Bad Weather by Steve Yockey
    The Fudgicle Thief by Bill Doncaster
    Ships in the Night by Kayce Kvacek
    Not Funny by Christopher Lockheardt

I hope you like them!

Sheila Newton
    Choir and Drama Director