Open Forum

View Only

Student Directed Plays

• 1.  Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-19-2017 20:16
    Greetings, fellow colleagues!

I am in my first full year of acquiring a Drama/Thespian Club at a new school--I was hired with the intention to build and revamp the program.  The "traditions" in this club have been that of three full-scale productions each year, one is a student-directed show.  Much of this has been the fact that the person who taught the one drama class was never really involved in the Dram Club.  Now that I am both the drama teacher and club advisor/director, we are seeing a lot of growth and interest in the program.

Luckily, I was able to talk them into an evening of one acts this spring, but the students have decided that, while it has been fun, it was just a novelty and now they should undertake a full production next year.  Does anybody hand over an entire mainstage production to a student?  The one-acts have been fantastic for every student's growth and development and is the way that I would like to keep it.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

------------------------------
    Jason Parker
    Director of Choir and Drama
    Squalicum High School
    Bellingham WA

• 2.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-20-2017 07:29
    I also inherited a program with a student directed full length show.  The only reason that I didn't kill the tradition was that the student director (who is always the president of the Thespian troupe) was the child of a fellow drama teacher, so I figured if anyone could do it, she could.
    That was 18 years ago. I have not regretted a single one of the shows that students have directed since then. They haven't all been fantastic shows, but every one of them has been a fantastic learning experience.
    I'm still at every rehearsal, I advise, I do a lot of tech, that kind of thing. But the show is theirs, and totally worth it.

Break a leg!

Stuart Graham
    Heights High School
    Wichita KS

Stuart Graham
    Wichita KS

• 3.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-21-2017 08:49
    My school has been doing a student directed show for nearly 12 years. I actually started the tradition with my troupe when we were first accepted for our charter. I wanted something for my thespians to produce, encompassing the skills garnered from our two "school" sponsored productions. I have a director and usually a producer of the show. They are typically seniors and have to apply for the position. After that, the director and producer either pick a show with my approval or the group sits down to write. We typically do a murder-mystery dinner theatre and it has become quite popular. I sit down with the director and we work step by step on how to handle auditions, scene analysis, blocking, etc.  On some occasions, I have been able to work with the guidance department to make my director and producer independent study students for credit. The student directed show is still a great deal of work for the teacher but in the end, I believe the entire cast learn more about what it takes to put on a show.

Regina Hartman
    Tri-Valley Central School, NY

• 4.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-20-2017 07:55
    I, too am a fan of having a student-directed production. It is a huge learning experience - not just for the student-director - but for the cast and crew as they adapt to someone else running the show and that person's expectations, vision and ideas. If we are serious in the theatre about the value of our art as a collaborative learning experience that promotes 21st century skills (and I know we are!) this is an excellent way to showcase those principles.

As mentioned before, this is not to say it should be hands-off by the teacher. As others have stated, I am there with tech help and guidance. Instead of giving cast notes, I direct my input to the student-director. I am also there to grab the handle bars if the bike starts to tip over. This process gives the kids a safe place to fail. The teacher is the safety net. The show must and will go on and I've had to pick up the pieces on occasion. However, for the most part the shows have been wonderful and a huge learning experience for the students... and me!

Cheers!

Will Eyerly
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Canterbury School of Fort Myers

William J. Eyerly, Ph. D, Ed. D
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Canterbury School
    Executive Director
    Gainesville Association for the Creative Arts
    Fort Myers, FL

• 5.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-20-2017 07:59

Hi Jason!
    It is wonderful that you have ambitious students who want to take ownership of the program.  For three of my last six years, the spring show has belonged to the seniors in the form of student selected, produced, and directed one-acts.  Each evening consisted of 4 one acts, with almost half of those being student written.  The other years are full-length straight plays that I direct.  

I think one-acts are a good length of show for students to work with.  A full-length show is a different beast, and as mature and well prepared as my students can be, the level of stress, responsibility, and expense that comes with a full-length show would be too much to handle.

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 6.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-20-2017 08:12
    Hello,
    Congrats on your position :)  For the past 13 years, I've have my senior students direct their own shows to present at our "One Act Festival", which is basically where all drama students perform their final projects.  It has always been the carrot to stick with drama so that you can direct your own show.  These are 10 minute plays, some are student-written, and they hold rehearsals mostly on their own- with any teacher supervising.

This year, I had three seniors who were committed to directing their own shows.  One wrote her own and the other two saw a show at the Fringe when we went in 2015 and wanted to take a stab at it.
    In the past couple of years, our program has exploded.  I used to teach 125 students; I now have 150 enrolled in my classes.  We have always done two main stage shows and then the "One Act Festival".  This year, to not only accommodate these students but to also extend more performance and production opportunities to my students, I said okay to a night of the two student "Showcases". Each of their shows was about 30-40 minutes.  They were fully student-directed, and I was around to help, but they were SO motivated that 80% of what happened on that stage was truly their vision!  To encourage the cast and crew to commit fully, I counted work on the showcases the same as on a main stage.  They got Thespian points accordingly and we did a full program, decorated the lobby, and did candy grams just like the main stage shows.  We even held auditions for the winter play at the same time as the showcase shows to up the prestige of the Showcase productions.  

I was NOT optimistic, but I will TOTALLY do this again!  The students were great; more kids got involved; more kids saw what we do; and some seniors really got to show their stuff- not to mention inspire a couple of juniors to do it next year!  
    I know this got long, but give it a try :)

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 7.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-20-2017 09:43
    I too took on a well established troupe this year. In the past, the seniors were offered the options to direct a one act. This year, I made it a requirement for my Theatre 4 students. I ended up with 10 one acts (1 student dropped the class, and 1 had to drop her show because of an actor issue). I was hands off in the process (although the students ALWAYS knew where to find me and came to me if they had any questions or needed any advice). I monitored their progress through weekly rehearsal journals, and gave out cast/crew and peer critiques (anonymously) at the end of their production. It's a GREAT way to get underclassmen involved in the program since such a large number of bodies are needed (I limit the kids to 2 shows). They have to choose, cast and rehearse the show. They are responsible for all technical aspects including set, sound and lighting (a great opportunity for others to join in and learn these as well). The choose kids to run light and sound. They choose tech crew. It's such a huge learning experience for them. Many of them have called it "sobering" because they didn't realize how much work goes into a production.

As far as a full length production, I don't know if I'd personally hand one off to a senior. I have an assistant director for my spring show, but I still have the final say. If you do it, let us know how it goes!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 8.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-20-2017 11:26
    I try to offer this opportunity to students if possible. What we have established is the following requirements in order to have the potential to direct their senior spring show (so only 1 student directed main stage per year - maximum):

- stage managed a main stage show at least twice
    - assistant directed a main stage show at least twice
    - an active and inducted thespian of good standing
    - passing grades in all classes (and for me that means a 70% or higher)

I have had senior directors of our spring show for the last 4 years in a row. It's been a really great learning experience for everyone. I'm very hands off in the rehearsals (when kids ask be for direction based questions I always redirect them to the student director with the comment "Ask your director. I'm "just" producing the show"), but I sit down with the student director and assistant director regularly to go over how everything is coming together and to help guide them for the future rehearsals. 

For the other students who are interested in directing we have 4 night's of one acts per year (and one is specifically titled "Student Directed Shorts). If a student is directing the main stage in the spring she (I haven't had a male director yet...) then she is not allowed to direct a one act in the spring semester because it can become very overwhelming. 

I really recommend finding ways to allow your students to continue directing. :^)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-20-2017 11:47
    I am totally in favor of student directors, as it represents in many ways the pinnacle of dramatic involvement. Directors learn about all of the nuts and bolts that goes into a production. But I have never given over to students the entire responsibility for a full-length show. That's probably because I originally got involved in theater because I spent two years as a new teacher watching our students fail to find adult leadership, and tried time and time again to mount a show without one, only to fail because of personality clashes, scheduling conflicts, and all kinds of high drama. I figured I couldn't do as much damage as a director as was being done, and forty-three years later, my feelings haven't changed.
    However, I do generally have a student on the directing team for our full-length show, who is in on casting and directing decisions. They have become important bridges between directors and cast members, who can see that our process is always focused on doing what's best for the students involved, and communicate that. And for the past two years, I have also utilized a student who serves as the "director" for all of the technical aspects of the show, which we accomplish through student-led committees. This person has also been a valuable liason, letting us know before the storm breaks that the clouds are gathering!

--

"The mission of The Sharon Academy is to nurture intelligent, independent, and creative thinking in a small school community, awakening students to their immense potential and the difference they can make in the world." 

• 10.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-20-2017 18:09
    I am all for having the students self-direct and produce something, but not until I have had the opportunity to teach them how I want them to proceed. Every production is my responsibility, so my seal of approval must accompany . . . quality, integrity . . . I have had student directed shows that were very successful, but we all had to speak the same language! We began small and worked our way up.

Paul Townsend
    Coronado High School
    Scottsdale AZ

• 11.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-21-2017 08:37
    It is great to have leadership opportunities for students in theatre. We use students as assistant directors and stage managers for the two main stage productions (one in the fall and the musical in the spring) that work closely with me and often work with the cast on their own running warmups, line blasts, etc.  The third show is Winter One Acts, a night of several short plays totally student directed (in pairs) and often student written. It is a great learning experience for all since there is minimal guidance by the assistant sponsor and directors are responsible for all aspects of their play.  I usually come in a week before production to watch rehearsals and give notes to the directors to make sure the plays are done well and the actors shine. The students learn so much in this experience dealing with diverse casts, things they will be able to use in life.

With that said, I would never hand over a larger project to a student. The cost is one factor, besides the pressures of shorter one acts seem to be enough. I sometimes feel overwhelmed in the middle of a project, especially during hell week, and I have been doing this for years. There is so much more to interpreting a script that only comes with age and life experiences, and keeping cool under pressure has been a learned skill.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 12.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-21-2017 08:39
    I, too, inherited an established program where student-directed full-lengths (except for the musical) are a thing.  I admit that I was hesitant at first, coming from 13 years of totally adult-directed full-lengths (save our evening of one-acts).  I have let them do directing, and it has turned out ok this year.  I definitely learned what they need me there for!

Next year, our first show of the year (called our Novice Play--for freshmen and others new to theatre), a one-act that is being paired with our contest show, and our improv nights will be directed by students.  Our Winter Play, a straight play, will be co-directed by myself and students (I will start off directing the first few weeks to set the expectation, then hand it over to the students--mostly because I will have upperclassmen directing upperclassmen, and I'm dealing with some theatrical discipline issues).  I will direct our contest one-act and our musical.

I agree with everyone else thus far on the thread:  we need to give the students the opportunities to direct just as we give them opportunities to do everything else.  One thing our directors for next year will be required to do is attend "Directing Boot Camp"--a few meetings in the summer where they set up a director's notebook, prepare a rehearsal schedule, work on blocking, etc.  Our goal (my theatre arts teacher is going to be working with me on this) is that by the start of the school year, the directors will be ready to go into auditions.  They won't be distracted by schoolwork, jobs, etc.  

Hopefully this works!

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 13.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-21-2017 08:46
    I am now 10 years into our senior thespian-directed one acts. This year I caved in and let 5 students direct. These shows are also written by the directors. The directors must take my College Acting & Directing 4 class their senior year. They start writing the one acts over the summer with the first draft due on the first day of school. While we do other projects and lessons, we also edit the one acts through the first semester. I have a contract that both the students and parents must sign. I teach in a larger district with 3 high schools and I am the only theatre teacher who still has a one act festival. It works for my program - it's something the faculty, staff, parents, and administration look forward to!

Carolyn Kovar
    McCluer North High School
    Ferguson-Florissant School District
    Florissant MO

• 14.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-21-2017 09:01
    Check the March 2016 issue of Dramatics for an article about students as directors, designers, etc.!

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 15.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-29-2017 09:57
    Here are my thoughts.on this.

I want to give any qualified (experience and classes) student the opportunity to direct.  And I have had some fantastic students do so with a One-Act.  

However, a full production is beyond the scope of 99.999% of teenagers.  If this experience is meant to be representational of a directing experience the director needs room to experiment and fail, and a full length main stage show, with however many actors and technicians isn't the place as those students also need the chance for success.

Plus- I try to model for them a director who is involved in every aspect of the production from conception to opening night - I haven't yet had one student to indicate that they feel they could commit that kind of time into a full show.
    Students need to understand that directing is a special skill set, and it is harder than it looks. 

That being said I will help students create what I call pop-up theatre opportunities to direct throughout the school year.

Christine DeFrancesco
    Theatre Teacher
    Huntley High School
    Huntley, IL

• 16.  RE: Student Directed Plays

Posted 04-30-2017 13:40
    I direct two shows each year: a musical in the fall and a play in the spring.  The students are involved in so many other things (not to mention college visits in the Spring!) that I cannot even think where we would schedule extra time for them to direct outside of class.  (Some of you indicated that you are at the theatre after school for their rehearsals--that is very generous!)

Each spring, I have seniors apply to direct one-act shows within our Advanced Drama class and we then perform a Night of One-Acts at the end of the semester.  Not all proposals are chosen--it depends on the quality of the script presented and the number of cast members per script.  This year we have 3 one-acts and each has 2 directors (which is fortunate since many are visiting colleges and have AP exams...) 
    Because they are rehearsing in class, I can watch rehearsals and give feedback as they go along.  I've also created google forms so the actors can give me feedback on the directors and the directors can give me feedback on the actors.  This way I can address any potential issues before they become problems.  The directors are required to have an on-line rehearsal schedule/plan for each week so everyone can know what will be required of them in the rehearsal process.
    This year, the one-acts don't really require much in the way of scenery, but typically each actor also has to do something along the lines of costumes, set or props.  One of our one-acts is student written, but other students are directing it.

This evening of one-acts also give the student who is unable to participate in after school plays and musicals (due to conflicts with sports or work) a chance to perform for the public.

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    San Mateo Union High School District
    Burlingame CA