Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  COVID safe class set-up

Posted 03-10-2021 12:44
    Los Angeles Unified School District is gearing up to start in-person and hybrid instruction, I want to know what your COVID- safe classroom looks like? Can you reply with a picture? My class has a small stage and chairs. I want to help our school and other theater teachers in our district create a safe workable Theater classrooms.

------------------------------
    Katy Groskin
    Drama Teacher
    John H. Francis Polytechnic High School
    Los Angeles CA

• 2.  RE: COVID safe class set-up

Posted 03-11-2021 08:01
      |   view attached
    I just have a regular classroom, but I'm attaching a picture in case that helps anyone. I'm lucky to have rolling desk chairs which are easy to move out of the way if we need more space. Also, whenever possible I take bigger ensemble exercises and games outside.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 3.  RE: COVID safe class set-up

Posted 03-11-2021 12:59

Hi Katy!

You may find, like we have, that the set ups have to be based on your district's guidelines and recommendations from your state DOH. What we are doing in our area may be totally different from any other area. In general, for our district, students must be 6 feet apart and we have to have seating charts for contact tracing purposes. It is rather limiting on interactions and movement. We also have to wear special singing masks if there is going to be strong projection or singing. In addition, any kind of activity like that can only last 30 minutes and then there has to be an air exchange in the space. We just went back hybrid last week. Hot tip we got from another district in our area: give yourself about 3 weeks to settle into it. It's A LOT. All the best as you and your students make the adjustment!

Suzanne Maguire –

Glover M.S. CCLR

Associate Director, Tiger Drama

Lewis & Clark High School

Board Member, WA State Thespians