Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ARL Online Methods Class

Posted 12-11-2018 17:11

Hello All,

I teach a Theatre Methods class in a traditional setting at Dixie State University.  There is a need in Utah to develop an online Alternative Route Licensure Theatre Methods class as there are many teachers taking a nontraditional path to licensure.  My dean at DSU has given me his blessing to develop a online course to fulfill this need.  I'll be working on the writing the course in the spring of 2019.  May I ask a few things from your collective brilliant minds?

1)  Do you know of another institution in the US that offers something like this course?  I'd welcome the opportunity to 
         reach out contact them for some ideas and direction.
    2)  What curriculum pedagogy best fills the needs for a theatre teacher currently working in the trenches?  I don't want       to create assessments, assignments and projects that are not helpful.
    3)  What ARL does your state offer to fulfill the requirement for a theatre Methods class?  Does your state require a             methods class for licensure?

Thank you for your response, ideas and comments.

Warm regards,

Russ

------------------------------
    Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 2.  RE: ARL Online Methods Class

Posted 12-12-2018 08:08

You may want to speak with Rosalind Flynn at Catholic University in Washington, DC. While the work she does is at the MA level, the online theatre education coursework there is extensive. She will likely be a wonderful resource.  

Most states do require some sort of theatre methods course for licensure; however, what a state will approve as that methods coursework varies greatly. As someone who has spent extensive time on the other side of the seesaw (read: educational studies professor who worked with future core teachers to incorporate the arts in their classrooms), I highly recommend exposing your students to the educational and artistic needs of children in different grade bands.  Yes, the holy grail for most theatre teachers having their own high school theatre program; however, many will spend some years in middle school before a high school opening presents itself, and with the growth in charter programs, there are increasing opportunities in elementary drama.  Working with these age groups is not the same as working with high school, and we should prepare future teachers for these creative environments and the needs of  these young artists.

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC