Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thoughts on leaving Educational Theatre

Posted 09-08-2015 11:24

After three years as a HS drama director, life has taken a different turn. My latest blog post discusses this. Thanks for taking a look!

Thoughts Onstage And Off: School's Out!

Gottaact remove preview
    Thoughts Onstage And Off: School's Out!

View this on Gottaact >

------------------------------
    Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 2.  RE: Thoughts on leaving Educational Theatre

Posted 09-09-2015 08:37

Sadly, the Drama Dept you ran with excellency, will lose energy and decrease. They will miss you!

Sonja Hansen
    Producer, Director, Choreographer, Dance Teacher
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hansen.Sonja@outlook.com

• 3.  RE: Thoughts on leaving Educational Theatre

Posted 09-10-2015 12:11

"I bring this up because of another alarming trend in educational theatre: the elimination of the word "educational." With the advent of big name "shows-in-a-box," we have arrived at a scenario in which a group of adults build a set, rent a slew of costumes, license an accompaniment track, hire a sound professional, hire a lighting professional, dress the students up, and tell them when and where to move on stage. We have shifted from an emphasis on process, to an emphasis on product. I've touched on this subject before, but the trend only seems to be picking up speed. The shows look splashy and sparkly, but what is actually being learned? Sadly, the answer is too often "Nothing."

I love this. Thank you for saying it so elegantly. It's easy to get caught up sometimes, but I want to live in the messy process of it all.  These kids are so darn talented and creative!! Good luck to you! 

Kandace Arens
    Drama Teacher
    Bellingham WA