Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Student Discount Season Ticket?

Posted 06-11-2014 14:18
    Hi All,

I am thinking of creating a student season punch card, where for a discounted price, students can buy a punch card with a punch for each of our productions at the beginning of the year.  Before I re create the wheel, does anyone already have a program like that that would be willing to share their info? Or some "dos and don'ts?"  Thanks, Bob

-------------------------------------------
    Bob Henrichs
    Lincoln NE

• 2.  RE: Student Discount Season Ticket?

Posted 06-12-2014 09:27
    Bob,
    I have used a season ticket for a few years now and this is what I have learned:
    1) Student ticket takers make mistakes. They either tear the season ticket in half like the regular admission tickets, or they forget to mark/punch that evening's show.
    2) If you like an accurate house count, there is no ticket half to count with a season pass.
    3) Be careful of overprinting, because audience members do not buy a season ticket after the first show, even if you pro-rate the cost.

What I have found that I like better is to bundle tickets together. Place one ticket for each show together in a packet and sell that packet as a season ticket. The advantages are that you avoid the ticket-takers making mistakes and you have a more accurate house count. As for # 3, you can always un-bundle the tickets and sell them separately if you need them and you do not have to spend time creating and printing another ticket design.

Just my thoughts - but like I said, I teach at a fairly small high school.

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director
    Peru IN

• 3.  RE: Student Discount Season Ticket?

Posted 06-12-2014 11:30
    When I was in high school we could buy an activities card.  It was punched for different events be it theatre, sports, choir, etc.  You had so many events you could attend for the purchase of the card for a discounted price. You could also buy other cards during the year.  I think doing it for theatre is a great idea. We do a presale student price for each of our shows right now, but I do like the punch card. Thanks for bring that high school memory up for me.

Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX