Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Are there any new theatre texts out there?

Posted 05-15-2016 09:02

HI!  I have been using the same theatre textbook for almost 8 years and I am really curious if there is anything new that's been written that people know of.  

I use Glencoe Exploring Theatre for my Theatre 1 class.  Its a survey class for students getting their fine arts credit.  It is a great book but its getting a bit dated.  

I obviously, as most of us do, have many other resources for teaching theatre, but I do like having a text especially for a large class of students that are mostly not interested in performing.  

I also use Basic Drama Projects occasionally for my upper level classes. 

I've probably tried almost everything that you can buy out there, but I thought I would at least ask.  

Additionally I would like to find a new speech textbook because I teach that too. (Glencoe Speech is what I'm using)

------------------------------
    Hannah Barnes
    Morgantown WV

• 2.  RE: Are there any new theatre texts out there?

Posted 05-16-2016 09:25

Have you seen the "Introduction to Theatre Arts" series by Suzi Zimmerman? I purchased the teacher edition, but am considering buying a full set of updated workbooks (Introduction to Theatre Arts 2) for my classes next year. I'm in the same boat as you - I have half sets of Drama Projects and Glencoe Exploring Theatre. I prefer Drama Projects and will also be buying the rest of the set as well for my more advanced classes. 

That being said, I don't want to recommend "Intro to Theatre Arts" having not used the full student workbook with a class. Can anyone else put in a review for this series? 

Valerie Boehm

• 3.  RE: Are there any new theatre texts out there?

Posted 05-16-2016 09:40

I use the Tanner Basic Drama Projects book. I really like the speech book from Perfection Learning as well, Creative Communication. There isn't enough theater for it to work as a theater text but the speech activities are really good and enough for a year long course.

Creative Communication | Speech / Theatre

Perfectionlearning remove preview
    Creative Communication | Speech / Theatre
    Imaginative projects keep students actively involved This student book is especially for teachers who believe that students learn best by getting on their feet and speaking. Excellent for short daily or weekly speaking and listening practice! Each of the 49 short chapters features one major project with everything students need to know in easy-to-follow steps.
    View this on Perfectionlearning >
    Maggie Ward
    Columbia MD

• 4.  RE: Are there any new theatre texts out there?

Posted 05-16-2016 14:03

I have a class set of Theatre Art in Action (National Textbook Company) which I primarily use for vocabulary with my Drama I classes.  I have a sad looking class set of an anthology called Theatre Alive which I LOVE, but it has been out of print for more than a decade.  If there is any high school appropriate theatre anthology, I'd be super interested in it.  I read lots of play with my students in Drama I and II, and I abhor using a computer screen to read...

I am hopeful I'll get some replacement books of the Theatre Alive anthology to replace the ones that have lost pages over the past 10 years!  But, I've learned not to hold my breath...

Do any of you get a budget for textbooks or any other teaching/classroom supplies?  I get nothing...hmmm...

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 5.  RE: Are there any new theatre texts out there?

Posted 05-18-2016 12:20

I have a well-worn class set of the Glencoe Exploring Theatre books, copyright 2004. They are great, but are very dated.  I can't find a more recent update than 2009, which isn't recent enough to warrant a new purchase. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: Are there any new theatre texts out there?

Posted 05-31-2016 13:01

'The Essential Theatre' is fairly decent, though perhaps a little higher level than the average high school student, though not impenetrable for all that. Lots of color photos, good writing, and a great overview of theatre history and terms.

I really, really like 'Stagecraft Fundamentals' over any other tech theatre textbook. It's wildly accessible to students, though for adults it can be a little patronizing, but full of very up-to-date information and decent recommendations. very good resource for teachers starting out with teaching tech theatre (the other absolute must is 'Technical Theatre for Non-technical People').

These are off the top of my head, so I can't remember the authors off hand. 'Basic Drama Projects is in a new edition this year, with updated photos and other stuff. The same publishers also do a speech communication text with the same kind of layout as Basic Drama Projects. The publishers are great in sending you free samples, if you get in touch with them.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL