Open Forum

View Only

Jane Austen

• 1.  Jane Austen

Posted 02-12-2019 12:19
    Has anyone done either Kate Hamill's "Sense and Sensibility" or Daniel Elihu Kramer's "Pride@Prejudice"? I just read S&S and it is a great script, really snappy and fun, with some nicely stylized pieces. I also quite like P&P, with its deconstructed riff on the story containing many asides, modern Internet-era meta-analysis, etc. That one is only cast w 5, each doing many parts. Like "The 39 Steps", I've been wondering if all of that switching up is a big part of its charm and might it lose a lot if the casting was stretched out. 

I've read other more straightforward renderings of Austen and tend to find them a bit dull. But each of these two adds some novelty while respecting the source, so I'm curious if anyone has done either show.

------------------------------
    Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 2.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-12-2019 13:11
    Just closed Kate Hamill's Sense a couple of weeks ago, and it was so fun! The convention of the gossips gave us lots of freedom for creative staging. In fact, we got snowed out one performance and had to move to the Shakespeare theatre with a 3/4 stage, universal lighting, and no set -- and it looked GREAT! I'm happy to answer any questions and share pictures. 

@Cora Turlish on this forum recommended it to me, so you may want to hit her up as well.
    ​​

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-13-2019 08:41
    I am getting ready to start the Kate Hamill version.  I would love pictures and any fun ideas you came up with.  The students are excited.  I did P&P as well many years ago.  The traditional version and it was well received.

Thank you,
    Kerry Lawson
    Salem Academy

Kerry Lawson
    Lewisville NC

• 4.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-26-2019 13:02
    Is there any way that we could chat after you've staged this? I'm very interested in it for my 2019-2020 season.

Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Lewes DE

• 5.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-13-2019 12:24
    I'm looking at the Hamill script for next year -- I saw it a while ago at the Bedlam in NYC and loved it!  @Cassy Maxton-Whitacre, how big was your cast?  I'd have a much larger one than the script calls for, so we'd lose the fun doubling... how did that work out for you?​

Josie Tierney-Fife
    English Teacher/Theater Director
    Gorham, Maine

• 6.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-13-2019 14:56
    That Bedlam production looked amazing! It was hard not to steal all their awesome ideas. I did it with a cast of 20 and eliminated almost all of the doubling. I had six official gossips, though I added Anne Steele to the act I gossip scenes and Lady Middleton to the act II gossip scenes. I only doubled the very small roles -- Sir John also played Robert Ferrars and the doctor, John Dashwood played the servant Thomas, and Lady Middleton also cameoed as Mrs. Ferrars. I only have pictures from the production where we had to move to another venue (thrust stage, universal lighting, no tech!), which was awesome, but I'll wait to share until I have my photos from our regular stage.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-26-2019 13:03
    Do you happen to have any photos? I'd be SUPER interested in seeing them/chatting about it.

Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Lewes DE

• 8.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-14-2019 03:14
    Yeah, I'd love to see a few pictures too. Can they be posted here or some other place. If elsewhere, maybe you can toss them in a Google Drive folder and share the link with us.

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

• 9.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 04-24-2019 13:04
    A couple of promo photos and then several (not professional) from our performance at the American Shakespeare Center. I'll post more when I get them.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 10.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-25-2019 13:02
    I have been looking at P&P by Kate Hamill and the one by Jon Jory. What made you choose Hamill's work over Jory? I haven't read Hamill's yet, it is on it's way. I'm also considering S&S. I have girls who are dying to do Austen.

Jody Hanna
    Newport OR

• 11.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-25-2019 14:02
    I wasn't aware of Hamill's P&P, just S&S, which I read recently. So I can't compare her version of P&P to Jory's. If the S&S script is any indicator, she brings a nice stylized exuberance and pacing that, for many people, might help Austen to work better on stage. She has a sort of chorus of gossips that move the story along at a good clip. And she adds some creative, rather campy elements which are surprising and funny. Jory's P&P felt fairly straight-forward in my recollection. 

SS

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

• 12.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-25-2019 14:32
    I'd echo Steven. I've been in Jory's Pride and Prejudice. It was fun, had lots of roles, and was a pretty straightforward adaptation. I didn't consider Hamill's P&P because I don't think it was available, plus I couldn't tell if it offered as many roles as Sense. Hamill's Sense is a little cheeky, so we didn't feel like we had to take ourselves too seriously. The convention of the gossips gave us lots of room to play, and I felt freed from the constraints of realism I would have experienced directing a more traditional version. We didn't do corsets or time period shoes, or English accents, or real food/drink onstage. We didn't even have set other than chairs, and we created a lot of things with the bodies of the gossips. It was exactly what we needed for our group and our venue.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 13.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-26-2019 13:04
    I'm in the midst of reading it... there's definitely a lot of cheeky humor! No chorus of gossips in this one though.

Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Lewes DE

• 14.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 04-24-2019 15:58
    Cassy, did you consider P&P as well? Why did you choose S&S? I'm not sure which one I prefer.

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

• 15.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 02-27-2019 12:01
    Steven,

I have an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice; if you are interested in looking at it I am happy to send it to you. 
    Maura

Maura Vaughn
    The Branson School
    Ross CA

• 16.  RE: Jane Austen

Posted 04-24-2019 22:36
    I did Hamill’s S&S this year. It was great. Innovative and fun. Hard too. We even employed an accent coach to get it done right. We made it very mobile and free like the script is. I can email great pics or you can check out my photographers website at https://www.tarajohnsonphotography.com/senseandsensibility

---------------------------------
    Megan Weeks
    Teacher/Director
    Huron Valley Schools
    Milford MI
    ---------------------------------