Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Weather woes

Posted 10-22-2018 18:28
    Just wanted a little feedback on this. How do you deal with multiple missed rehearsals due school closing for weather and maintain pacing on a show? My students have tons of raw talent but the missed days have really effected their overall ensemble and pacing. We're headed to our state festival this weekend so if anyone has any last minute suggestions...we have 4 rehearsals left. Thanks.

------------------------------
    Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 2.  RE: Weather woes

Posted 10-23-2018 08:35
    Are students able to meet somewhere or is the weather too bad?  We've met at someones house to do a line run while the tech called the cues. 

• 3.  RE: Weather woes

Posted 10-23-2018 08:38
    We have to deal with this down here in the south quite a bit..
    It makes me crazy trying to figure out a way to "fix" the schedule.
    I've tried to get better at rolling with it.... but sometimes it is HARD. haha
    More often than not, I tell the kids we need to extend the next planned 
    rehearsal to make up for what we missed or we have to move to a weekend
    practice which we normally don't have. I just try and squeeze it in as 
    best I can. This is just one of those things out of our control.

Erika

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 4.  RE: Weather woes

Posted 10-23-2018 08:42

We are in Michigan, so we just expect a few snow days December - March. I recommend always padding your production calendar to begin with by adding a couple of days of rehearsal more than you think you need. If you are on target, a bonus night off is always welcomed. And, I have never found a group that could not use extra rehearsal time leading up to the production. Beyond extending rehearsal times, I know of no other way of making the time up. In our production contracts, we specify that the 2 weeks prior to a production our calendar can and will change to help keep us on target. It is a necessary reality. 

In our district, we have often been given permission to host rehearsals at their normal time, even during snow days. This is often 9 hours after administration has had to make the call for a snow day. Usually by then roads are clear to allow for safe travel. And, we have a many rural bus routes. This support from administration is important. I have also met with directors of the show at our performance space to work on tech things ( just adult staff reporting). That way we can make progress on the production even if students cannot report. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 5.  RE: Weather woes

Posted 10-23-2018 11:22
    I also try to pad my schedule. I usually have 2-3 built in TBA's so that I can work on whatever is needed.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Weather woes

Posted 10-23-2018 11:54
    Usually I pad the schedule as well but this is an in class performance group that does not have after school rehearsals, we only have the class time scheduled. My question really is if anyone has a suggestion on last minute ways to help your students feel the most confident and prepared. They're a good group but they're so in their own heads right now, they're struggling. 5 lost days really psyched them out. I do think they'll do well but what can I do to support them the most. Thoughts?

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 7.  RE: Weather woes

Posted 10-23-2018 12:05
    Make it totally ridiculous. In the past, when we've been ready ahead of schedule, I've allowed the kids to run the show as melodramatically as possible. They have an absolute blast and totally relax into the story. Once the run is done point out how well they understand the story and characters. They wouldn't be capable of going so ridiculous if they didn't. Then have them do the run again but fully and realistically committed to the moments. Hopefully having the visceral knowledge that they are okay and do understand the production will relax them and allow them to settle into their choices and out of their heads.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 8.  RE: Weather woes

Posted 10-24-2018 18:41
    I agree with the TBD days and Trouble Spot days (always plan more than you need, then its like a little holiday when you don't need them!).  Also, we had a bad weather bout a few years ago, it got to the point that not just me but also our sport teams were hurting for missed days.  We each asked the principal if we could meet at a safe time (ours was ice and snow) so meeting between 11a-2p was good as traffic wasn't awful and it wasn't re-icing.  The principal approved it.  I didn't advertise that it wasn't mandatory but kids came pretty much the entire group.  I always have my rehearsals closed to parents and guests but we made a little snow day lounge in the lobby for drivers and it worked out nicely.

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    Sullivan MO