Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  PR - Marketing - Social Media - Cast Communication

Posted 05-01-2018 08:47
    Hello All!

I was wondering what you all do as far as advertising your shows in your communities. Do you find any local media organizations more helpful than others? Do you use local companies for printing or do you have something at your school? I feel like I need help in this department. Also, how do your school systems help with this, in general? 

I also wanted to find out what your school system allows you to use as far as social media and in which ways? I've asked a few people here and I keep getting mixed messages. What resources do you use? Who controls it? You or your students (or a combination of both)? 

Finally, how do you communicate with your actors in your plays/musicals? I tried to use remind and e-mailing them, but they often tell me that they didn't get the message. Are teachers generally allowed to set up some other kind of group messaging? I do tell give them calendars, and instruction before and/or after rehearsal, but sometimes you have to tell things at other times. 

Thanks for all of your shared wisdom!

Jared

------------------------------
    Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 2.  RE: PR - Marketing - Social Media - Cast Communication

Posted 05-01-2018 10:30
    As far as marketing, it depends on what audiences you are trying to reach. We used to spend a good amount of money on advertising through posters and ads in newspapers, but we've actually found our best marketing strategies were more nuanced and targeted. We've grown our audience by really targeting our district families, and THIS IS HOW WE MARKET TO THEM.

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 3.  RE: PR - Marketing - Social Media - Cast Communication

Posted 05-02-2018 08:23

For communication, I use Google Classroom. Our school is 1:1 with chromebooks and the kids use them all the time. I put schedules under the About tab and post reminders as needed. We have morning announcements so I can always get it announced that cast needs to check their Google Classroom if it's something time sensitive. They get tons of updates, since all their classes use it as well, so that helps. 

I also email parents frequently to keep them up to date on the week's rehearsal plan and other upcoming deadlines. 

I only use Remind for special events, like when we go to our State Thespian festival, or other field trips. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 4.  RE: PR - Marketing - Social Media - Cast Communication

Posted 05-03-2018 16:56
    For marketing we use posters in businesses and our local newspaper.  I use On the Stage for web hosting, which allows us to post bios, pics and sell tickets.  I also use Playbillder for our programs which allows you some online marketing tools.

For printing I have special pricing set up through my district with Office Depot.  We also have a district print shop, but I never have everything ready early enough for their slow turn around.  If you use Playbillder you can opt to have them print your programs.

Our Theatre Department has a Facebook, Twitter and Instagram Account.  I am the only one that runs them and posts on them.  I use them to market the shows.  I am toying with the idea of having an "instagram takeover" next year (like the Hamilton IG account does), but I need to feel comfortable that I can trust my students.  I am also thinking of adding a Theatre Department Snap Chat next year, since that is the main social media our students use.

For cast communication I use Remind and it works really well.  I make them all join at the first cast meeting and I send a test message to iron out the bugs.  It is my main communication tool for schedule changes, reminders...etc.  I use Google Classroom for all posting, forms...etc.

Tamara Mosier
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Folsom High School
    Folsom CA

• 5.  RE: PR - Marketing - Social Media - Cast Communication

Posted 05-07-2018 18:15
    Hello!
    For printing I use my district central printing office. I send them what I need and they bill the school.

My theatre company (which includes a fall and spring drama, musical, and Thespians) has Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. I control it along with my social media coordinator which is a student position on my executive board.

My program is around 100 kids. I have a google classroom for each initiative and a Remind for each initiative. I also have a group chat with my executive board and my students who are traveling to International Festival with me. The secretary (a student) on my executive board also updates a google calendar and the link to it is in every google classroom.

Hope this helps!
    Carolyn

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------