Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musicals with only 1 or 2 males

Posted 04-22-2019 13:25
    I am a director at a small catholic school, dont have a lot of boys maybe 1 or 2, 1 can carry a tune and 1 can not. Any ideas for mostly female musicals? Please help

------------------------------
    Bruce Udell
    Gaylord MI

• 2.  RE: Musicals with only 1 or 2 males

Posted 04-22-2019 15:49
    Not the biggest fan but I believe Little Women only requires 1 strong singing male

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Musicals with only 1 or 2 males

Posted 04-23-2019 09:27
    I also have the same problem as I too teach at a Catholic school. I was looking at Little Women as well, but all 4 of the boys parts either have a solo song or a strong duet song so I'm pretty hesitant to pick it. I chose Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella instead! 6 female parts and 2 male parts with some male supporting but the squires and guards can be female etc

Kelly Bourget
    Schererville IN

• 4.  RE: Musicals with only 1 or 2 males

Posted 04-23-2019 10:29
    We just did Little Women (and I'm a huge fan!) but it requires at least 3 good male singers (Mr. Laurence doesn't have to be as strong - though ours was). There's really no place for them to hide.

Cinderella Enchanted version needs a Prince and King, though the King could maybe be played by a weaker singer (he has one duet with the queen). Lionel could easily be played by a girl.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Musicals with only 1 or 2 males

Posted 04-24-2019 11:37
    Nunsense would be a good option.  My school did this musical last year and the students really enjoyed it.  You need 1 male but could add a few more if you want some in the chorus.

Janet Rhoads
    Drama Teacher
    Andale KS

• 6.  RE: Musicals with only 1 or 2 males

Posted 04-24-2019 11:57
    Yes - completely forgot about Nunsense! It's a lot of fun - even if people/audience members aren't Catholic. Look at the Mega-musical version - that has an expanded cast.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 7.  RE: Musicals with only 1 or 2 males

Posted 04-24-2019 12:08
    Dear Edwina, Jr really only requires one boy who can sing well. Most of the towns kids can be girls and/or girls dressed as boys. It has lots of nice featured moments for female singers. It's also a fantastic show to invite younger audiences to see. Once Upon a Mattress (G2K) requires a Prince, who doesn't need to sing well, a mute King, and Prince Harry who does need to sing. The other men could be girls in boys' costumes.

Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL