Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Molière?

Posted 11-29-2017 06:28
    What's your favorite Molière piece (full length or short) and/or your favorite translator? 
    --
    ---
    John E. R. Friedenberg * Director of Theatre * Department of Theatre & Dance * Wake Forest University
    336-416-3142 m * 336-758-5995 vm * 336-758-5294 office 
    Are you subscribed to the Theatre & Dance alumni listserv? http://lists.wfu.edu/mailman/listinfo/wfutalum

• 2.  RE: Molière?

Posted 11-30-2017 07:12
    ​Tartuffe -Wilbur...Did it in 2009 and the student still remember it!

------------------------------
    Laura Parker
    Director Cobra Theatre Cmpany
    Bel Air Maryland MD

• 3.  RE: Molière?

Posted 11-30-2017 12:17
    The Prodigious Snob, Miles Malleson (from Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme)

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 4.  RE: Molière?

Posted 11-30-2017 13:49
    For some years in the past, I taught The Miser in one of my classes.  In another class, I currently teach The Imaginary Invalid.  Both plays have connected so well with my students that the kids have sometimes asked if we could actually produce them here at school.  I love it when teenagers beg to perform a play that's more than three hundred years old!

My go-to translator for Molière is usually Richard Wilbur.  He consistently manages the nearly miraculous feat of translating the text's meaning accurately, maintaining the original rhyme scheme and something close to the original meter, and keeping it laugh-out-loud funny.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 5.  RE: Molière?

Posted 12-05-2017 13:30
    I teach high school students, and Tartuffe is always a hit! We just closed our fall production with two Moliere one acts translated by Albert Bermel, "Two Precious Maidens Ridiculed" and "Rehearsal at Versailles", which were very approachable.

Nicole Gerenyi
    Teacher and Drama Director
    Upper Dublin High School
    Ft. Washington PA