Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  If you have directed Peter and the StarCatcher....

Posted 10-25-2021 10:59
    Hey all,  when you directed this show how long was your rehearsal period?  We are planning on performing the week before Valentines day.  I'm worried we won't have enough time.  Am I over thinking it? Or should we push the show back 2 weeks and perform at the end of Feb first of Mar? 

I am worried with Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks it will disrupt rehearsals and we will run out of time. 

Thoughts?

------------------------------
    Chad Taylor
    Drama Teacher
    Kentwood High School
    WA

• 2.  RE: If you have directed Peter and the StarCatcher....

Posted 10-26-2021 07:25
    I just looked back at my rehearsal schedule from a production I did in the fall of 2018. We rehearsed for a total of 9 weeks. I haven't looked at the calendar between now and Valentine's Day. I will say it can be frustrating to rehearse during the winter when there are so many interruptions, but I don't think this show was too much more complicated than any other non-musical (though I realize the show does have music). I generally spend 8 weeks on a play and 12 on a musical if I can get it and just one extra week seemed to work great for Starcatcher (for me).

Jessica Speck
    Drama Director
    Theatre and English Teacher
    Thomas S. Wootton HS
    Rockville, MD

• 3.  RE: If you have directed Peter and the StarCatcher....

Posted 10-29-2021 14:41
    Totally doable!!!

We had an 8 week rehearsal period with one of those weeks being Thanksgiving and performing the week after. 
    I will say our show relied heavily on the words and the acting not the tech, so our tech rehearsals were minimal and integrated into our Act I and Act II run throughs.

I have often thought about brining this back every 4 years so each group of students could experience this piece. 

Break A Leg!!!

J. Harvey Stone
    Williamsburg, VA

J. Harvey Stone
    Teacher/Director
    Jamestown High School Theatre
    Williamsburg, VA
    james.stone@wjccschools.org