Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Adaptations of Greek Plays

Posted 10-24-2014 07:38
    I'm looking for modern adaptations of Greek comedies. Does anyone have suggestions? Last year we did Don Zolidis' The Birds and it was very successful and the students want to do something else in that vein. 

-------------------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Adaptations of Greek Plays

Posted 10-25-2014 07:41
    This summer I did a bunch of looking around for this same thing. The birds script was too mature for my middle schoolers. After searching, I ended up actually writing my own adaptation of the frogs...which ends in a rap battle. I know there is a Sondheim version of the frogs too. ------------------------------------------- Jennifer Simmons Lexington SC -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Adaptations of Greek Plays

Posted 10-25-2014 09:05
    Medea by Christopher Durang and Debbie Wasserstein is a lot of fun.  It's a fifteen minute show, but you can easily spend 4 to 6 weeks working on it and the production elements are a riot.  Even after I directed it, I found myself bent over with laughter during each performance.

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Adaptations of Greek Plays

Posted 10-25-2014 10:20
    We are doing The Birds this year, but a few years back we had great success with Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses. I somehow even convinced the administration to let me build a pool on stage with wood decks that branched off into the wings. It's a fun piece and thought provoking, too. ------------------------------------------- Nancy Moran Drama Instructor Los Altos CA -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Adaptations of Greek Plays

Posted 10-25-2014 18:31
    The Greek Mythology Olympiaganza.   It's a spoof - very funny script!  

Elizabeth Rand
    High School Theatre Consultant
    Rand Consulting and Design
    Woodinville WA

• 6.  RE: Adaptations of Greek Plays

Posted 10-27-2014 10:23
    My theatre company (No.11 Productions) wrote and regularly tours a piece called MythUnderstood. It's a farcical musical survey of Greek mythology. We actually did a production of it with local high school students in Horse Cave, Kentucky (and wrote an article about our experiences in Teaching Theatre). The cast size is very flexible. Feel free to email us at no.11productions@gmail.com for more info about obtaining the rights to the show.

Julie Congress
    New York State Chapter Co-Director
    Astoria NY

• 7.  RE: Adaptations of Greek Plays

Posted 10-28-2014 11:03
    Last year we did Agatha Rex, an adaptation of Antigone.  This can be found at theatrefolk.com. 

Here is one of our shots: 

Here is a link to the page https://www.theatrefolk.com/products/agatha-rex.

I like the modern use of the chorus and the students related to the play.  We had one of our special needs students so upset with Dr. Creon that he wanted to throw his shoe at him during the production.
    ------------------------------------
    Amy Sidwell
    Director of Theatrical Arts
    Woodburn Arts and Communications Academy
    Canby OR