Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ethics Question

Posted 08-23-2018 12:23

I am posting this question on behalf of a Community member who wishes to remain anonymous due to its sensitive nature. Please reply below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What would you do in this situation? A new student has signed up to audition for my strictly extracurricular drama group.  I have pretty credible, though hearsay, evidence that the student has sexually assaulted 2 others in a previous school, and somehow charges were not pressed against this student.  My present students are alarmed and uncomfortable about this new student, to the point of coming to me and expressing this directly, and enlisting the aid of a recent alum to come talk with me about it.

I have met the student and the student's mother when they came to a pre-season event. Nothing specifically set off alarm bells, but mom is QUITE a classic stage mom -- or at least that is how I perceived her.

The constitution says innocent til proven guilty, and I am a great believer in this.  HOWEVER, I would NEVER want to compromise the safety, health and peace of mind of my other students.  My principal claims to have no knowledge of the rumors nor any information to share. 

I have not seen this student's audition, and have no clue whether I would cast the student if this weren't taking place-- but our last 3 years, the musical has been a no-cut show (really didn't set out to make it that -- just worked out that I never had to cut anyone) so if I were to simply cut the student, it would be pretty obvious why. 

Insights appreciated."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 2.  RE: Ethics Question

Posted 08-23-2018 14:44
    I would take this directly to your administration and let them make the call.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Ethics Question

Posted 08-23-2018 15:20
    Agree. This is an Admin level decision.  It sounds like you've had the initial conversation, did you present the student's concerns?  Personally, I would want some guidance on procedures moving forward with this student (the student may  be totally innocent, but the rumors are out there and you must deal with them) and documentation of such.  

If nothing further happens - awesome!  If it blows up - you are covered.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 4.  RE: Ethics Question

Posted 08-24-2018 05:21
    Do you know the previous drama teacher? You state that this hearsay, coming from students and that charges were never filed. Before convicting this student, I would certainly want to know if the stories have any validity.
    You stated that your principal knows nothing about it, so I am assuming that they would expect you to treat this student like any other. That being said, if you speak to an adult that confirms these rumors, you may have to push the issue with your admin, to make sure you are keeping all of your students safe.
    Best of luck. This is a really tough situation.

Myndee Washington
    Music & Drama Teacher
    Union Park Charter Academy

• 5.  RE: Ethics Question

Posted 08-24-2018 06:37

I will echo what others have said, and I will point out that like many ethical questions - it is also a legal one. I don't think you can deny a student opportunity because of a rumor. I also don't think you should. My students rumor mill is often fantastic, sometimes super accurate, but also sometimes so far off base as to be mystifying. 

I think ethically you have a duty to find out what actual facts you can, contacting the theatre teacher at the previous school is a great idea. You ethically have a duty to treat this student as you would any other, and insure that they have the same opportunities as any other (unless you have actual fact-based proof that this student is a danger). You also, IMHO, ethically have a duty to insure that this student is not bullied by others if they do make it in the show. 

THEN, you ethically, have a duty to insure the safety of all your other students, to insure that nothing happens to them, to watch like a hawk and instantly address any abusive behaviors. 

In other words, IMO, ethics require you to see the situation from all sides, and provide due diligence and duty to every student involved. I also think this is legally required of you as well. I do not envy you this situation. Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 6.  RE: Ethics Question

Posted 08-24-2018 06:53
    In Pennsylvania, if the teacher has any suspicion that abuse of a child has occurred, then teachers are required to report that directly to the state level. I believe that only applies if the teacher can identify the victim of the abuse, not the perpetrator. Checking with admin on the laws of the state where the community member is employed is critical in this situation. http://keepkidssafe.pa.gov/cs/groups/webcontent/documents/document/c_137646.pdf

Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Area School District
    Hanover Twp. PA

• 7.  RE: Ethics Question

Posted 08-24-2018 12:13
    I had a similar issue a few years ago, and administration told me that I could not exclude the student from anything offered to other students. We did require supervision of him at all times, however. His mom came to after school club meetings and rehearsals at first, and then they hired an aide to watch him for a while. The other kids avoided him, but he still wanted to come. I heard that when he left school, he got in trouble again, but while he was involved in the program, that was his focus.
    Uncomfortable, I know, but that was my experience.

• 8.  RE: Ethics Question

Posted 08-27-2018 10:39
    In our state (Montana) you are considered a "mandatory reporter" for any and all crimes / suspicion of crimes involving students or faculty.  I echo the call to put it where it belongs to the administration - they will need to do "due diligence" to verify what is reported.

On the short side of the stick if they do not do anything you need to check your sources - and verify what you can - and if necessary take care of your own first.  Read this how you may -  but you must keep your kids safe no matter what administration does!

Robert Holter
    Helena MT

• 9.  RE: Ethics Question

Posted 09-05-2018 14:25
    An update on the situation from the individual:

The student voluntarily (without prompting as far as I know) withdrew from the production. I appreciate all of your replies!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY