Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fun historical adventure show?

Posted 11 days ago

Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for next year's show. The students have expressed an interest in doing something about pirates, but they'd also be open to steampunk or other fun adventure genres. I should have 15-20 students, so flexible casting and opportunities for creative staging would be great. Also swordfighting. I'd rather not do a Robin Hood adaptation since some neighboring schools have recently done them. One sticking point is that I have a student who is a Jehovah's Witness, so we can't do anything with ghosts, vampires, witches, etc. Some things I'm looking at currently include The Twelve Huntsmen, a girl-power revision of Around the World in 80 Days, and a couple versions of Treasure Island. But I'd love to hear any other thoughts!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre, Film, and Communications Instructor
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    Fishersville, VA

• 2.  RE: Fun historical adventure show?

Posted 10 days ago
    Take a look at Shakesplosion" by Andrew Geha. There are brief bits with the witches and the ghost of Hamlet's father, but might pass in context. Plenty of sword fighting and very funny. We had a cast of 15. Min is 13 but can accommodate as large a cast as you want.

• 3.  RE: Fun historical adventure show?

Posted 9 days ago

I second Shakesplosion! It even has a brief pirate scene, and I had about 50 kids in it. Also check out A Simpler Time. It is a series of connected one-acts, and you can do the ones you prefer.

Laura Butchy
    BASIS Independent McLean
    VA