Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theater Opening

Posted 01-14-2020 12:10
    Hi folks, my district is building and opening a beautiful new theatre this fall. Has anyone planned a Grand Opening for a theater? Got any great ideas that worked well for the opening ceremonies? Please give me some ideas.

• 2.  RE: Theater Opening

Posted 01-15-2020 07:27
    When I was in high school, our community built a new performing arts center.  Their approach was to schedule a bunch of different sorts of performances-- ballet, magicians, concerts, plays, etc-- I thought that was kind of cool as it targeted different age groups and interest groups bringing a lot of different folks to the space that first year.  I think if you could put together a schedule targeting different stake holders, that would be cool.  

Congratulations, an exciting and rewarding time

------------------------------
    Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Theater Opening

Posted 01-15-2020 11:57

When we opened 16 years ago, it was a big community event. We had a large combined choral and band piece performed by all of the music students in both high schools (John Rutter's GLORIA). Our superintendent and the building committee (staff and community members who helped "design" and get the building done) said a few nice words, and then we had a ribbon cutting. After that ceremony, we had light refreshments in lobby and the facility was open for guided group tours for the next 2 hours. We had media coverage leading up to and covering the event itself. The following several months were packed with well-planned district and community events. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI