Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Drood edits for high school

Posted 10-05-2018 13:39
    We've chosen Drood for our musical this year.  I'm wondering if anyone who has done the show has any suggestions for editing/rewriting the opium den parts.  I have to present the show to our principal and I'm sure the word alone will set off alarms, as well it should given the climate and crisis we are in.  Thanks for any ideas.

------------------------------
    Linda Urban
    Haverhill MA

• 2.  RE: Drood edits for high school

Posted 10-05-2018 14:12
    Call or email and talk to a rep at Tams-Whitmark about if there are approved edits/cuttings that have been used in the past. The ONLY way to edit or cut is with their permission/them getting permission so they will know if certain edits have been approved for other productions such as at a high school, or will advise on it. If they don't approve your edits or cuts then legally you aren't able to edit or cut, so that might mean having to select another show if your administration doesn't approve.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Program Director
    Arnold High School Theatre
    Thespian Troupe 6371
    Panama City Beach, FL

District 10 Chair & State Logistics
    Florida State Junior Thespians

Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair
    Florida Association for Theatre Education

• 3.  RE: Drood edits for high school

Posted 10-05-2018 15:10
    When we did it (so much fun btw) I don't remember making many edits and we were in a very conservative part of the country (go Petersburg Virginia!)  In the context of the show it should be clear that is isn't glorifying it - and as long as you handle/stage it well I don't think it will be much of an issue.  You might also include a section in the program that discusses it in context and/or speaks about issues that might be discussed due to it's inclusion (we've found that using things like this to spark discussion is always a good way to help the community understand/process).  So hopefully it should not be much of an issue - But then again people surprise me all the time ;)

Brandon Becker
    Denver CO

• 4.  RE: Drood edits for high school

Posted 10-06-2018 06:31
    I agree that content wise it is not glorifying drugs - also, I don;t know how the play works without it! Nothing would make sense, and it's referred to (I could be wrong I did it about ten years ago) in other scenes, as well as setting up who puffer is... I'd say go for the hard sell on your principal over trying to cut. When I did it I made one small change to make admin feel better - in puffers song we said "shite" instead of Sh**.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 5.  RE: Drood edits for high school

Posted 10-07-2018 09:00
    Hi Linda,

First, let me say that I have a lot of experience with Drood. I've played the role of Jasper twice in regional and repertory theatres. I directed it twice- once professionally and once 6 years ago in high school theatre. So, I completely agree with the previous comments that it is impossible to do the show without Princess Puffer and the opium den. The whole story falls apart. 

The show in no way glorifies opium and Jasper is encouraged to be booed and hissed as a villain throughout. 

Do the hard sell with your principal.  Put a message in the program that encourages positive discussion. Laudanum wine (wine laced with opium) was a societal problem in Dickens' time - so opiate abuse is not a new issue. The show could be a great springboard for increasing awareness and a positive conversation on solving the current crisis.

PLUS... Drood is so much fun!!! Your kids are going to love it!

William J. Eyerly, Ph. D, Ed. D
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Academic Dean
    Canterbury School
    Executive Director
    Gainesville Association for the Creative Arts
    Fort Myers, FL

• 6.  RE: Drood edits for high school

Posted 10-07-2018 22:22

We did Drood at our High School a few years ago and had no pushback on the opium den at all.   We always work on the idea that its best to go on the offense with potentially offensive material: 
    1. Acknowledge the issue
    2. Have a plan for addressing it - For Drood, look at a drug awareness campaign, partner with the Addiction Coalition, or reach out to a community group.
    3. Share your plan and the script with a few parents first - the ones who have kids in your department, but who are also on the conservative side. Sell them before selling your principal. :)

It's a FUN show - enjoy!

Ashley Bishop
    Teacher
    Birmingham AL