Open Forum

View Only

MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

• 1.  MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 03-16-2021 18:15
    Hi, does anyone have experience with this program? I would love to hear about your experiences!

Thanks,
    Melissa

------------------------------
    Melissa Derechailo

• 2.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 03-17-2021 07:30
    This is the program I just enrolled in for the fall. I don't think they're taking any more applicants for this cohort, though. @Kelly Pate is definitely the one to talk to for more info. She's been super helpful to me!​

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 3.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 03-17-2021 09:41
    Thanks, I got accepted too, and that's why I wanted to know more about it! lol. I actually read a thread here about MFA online/low residency programs that you had contributed to, but I think I found MUW on my own search.

Melissa Derechailo

• 4.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 03-17-2021 12:09
    Hi Melissa! (Hey Cassy!!) 

I am currently in the MFA program at MUW. I've really been enjoying it! I feel like the courses are challenging but not crazy and the professors are all very accessble. The students are from all kinds of backgrounds...we have lifelong teachers...both elementary and upper grades, college teachers, professional theatremakers, playwrights, education directors at professional theatres...etc. It's a great group! I've made lifelong friends so far and I can't wait for the two week residency this summer. I'm reallly excited to be getting the MFA as well over the MA...not that there is anything wrong with any other degrees...I was just really wanting the MFA. If you have any specific questions...let me know. I'm happy to answer anything. You can post here or message me privately.

Kelly :)

Kelly Pate

• 5.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 03-17-2021 13:36
    Hi Kelly!

Thanks so much for reaching out--I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the program.  The idea of starting one of these programs without ever visiting the school, or knowing anyone who attended, is daunting! 

Will this be your first or second summer?  If it's your second, can you tell me a bit about how the classes are structured? Other than that, I don't have a bunch of questions...I just wanted to hear from someone in the program who likes it and thinks they are getting a good education. That makes me feel a lot better.  

Melissa

Melissa Derechailo

• 6.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 03-17-2021 14:11
    I am in my second semester...so I started this past Fall. I took 3 classes in the fall and am taking 4 now (crazy...don't do it...it's a lot! LOL) So this will be my first residency in July...it's two weeks long...but I'm not totally sure how the summer goes except that it is 8 hours a day for the two weeks. But my classes online this year have been mostly asynchronous. I have taken Acting & Directing, Design & Production, Forms in Drama, Playwriting, Play Analysis, 20th Century Drama...and a Creative Dramatics Class that focuses on building lesson plans and unit courses etc. It's a demanding program...but super doable. I have found everyone to be really communicative and so kind. We do have zooms but the teacher's typically send out a survey to see when everyone is available. The cohort is in constant communication...we have a facebook group and we talk all day long LOL! I've been really happy with it...both in content and in affordability. I also was accepted into Idaho's online program...but chose MUW and am really happy I did.

Kelly Pate

• 7.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 03-18-2021 10:52
    Thanks so much Kelly, I appreciate you answering my questions! I am waiting to hear back from Idaho, but I am leaning towards MUW because of the residency component.  It's hard to imagine getting an entire degree without ever getting some hands on training.

My newest worry is that neither of the programs I applied to are accredited by NAST. I don't think any of the online/hybrid MFA programs are, though.

Melissa Derechailo

• 8.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 03-18-2021 13:06
    Yeah...I'm really excited about the residency. We have taken Acting and Directing 1 and Design and Production 1 online and the residency will be the next level of both those classes...the hands-on portions. I am looking so forward to seeing my cohort in person...they are all so talented that I just can't wait to be in the same room as everyone and do this thing! LOL 

And I also had concerns about the NAST...but I spoke with several of my colleagues/college professors and such and there just isn't a framework for online programs and I just decided not to worry about it. I don't think it will affect my ability to get a job and I believe that more and more programs are going to start going online as it provides so much accessibility for those who just can't do school full time in person. The program is solid for sure and that was what I was most concerned about. But I definitely hear you. David...who I assume contacted you...is a wiz about the accredidation...you may want to ask him about it. 

Kelly Pate

• 9.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 04-13-2022 08:45
    Good afternoon, Melissa!

I have been accepted into the MFA in Theatre Education at the W. I am so thankful to be a part of a program that is still very new. I hope you are enjoying the program.
    I look forward to starting this journey. I received an M.A. in Theatre this past August, but my dream is to obtain an MFA. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on how the program has been going. 

Sean Scott

• 10.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 04-13-2022 08:57
    Hi Sean,
    I'm in my second semester of the MFA program at the W. I've found it very manageable so far, though the work is definitely challenging. The professors are really approachable, and they have a lot of ways to make online learning interesting and engaging. I'm really looking forward to the in-person residency this summer! 

Congratulations on your acceptance! Feel free to message me directly if you have questions or want to talk further.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA

• 11.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 04-13-2022 09:12
    I guess I hit the wrong link because I see my answer is not here--hopefully it went to a private message?

I concur with Cassy (hi Cassy!) that the work is challenging but it's been a great experience and I've been very happy with the program.  I can't wait for this summer!

Melissa

Melissa Derechailo

• 12.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 04-13-2022 10:49

Hi Cassy and Melissa-

The summer residency is so much fun. I feel like we were at grown-up summer camp! We all became so close and are so excited to go back. We talk about it almost everyday! Lol! I wish we were going to overlap at least a day…but you all will have a blast! xoxo

Kelly Pate

• 13.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 07-13-2022 12:05
    Kelly,

When are the dates for the Summer residency this year? I am applying for the MFA theatre program and I'm just trying to figure out my summer '23 if I were to get in! Thanks.

Amy

Amy Warner Geiger

• 14.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 07-13-2022 12:22

Hi Amy!

So the residency this summer for Cohort 2 (my cohort) was June 27th-July 5th. We did 8 days straight this time. Cohort 3 is there now…July 8th-July 15th.

it will depend on how many will be attending but it will be around the same dates. They are considering doing 8 work days with one day off in between…so nine days total in residency.

It's so much fun…the residency has been such a gift to my life. 

I graduate in December…happy to answer any questions! 

Kelly Pate

• 15.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 08-16-2022 15:02
    I would love to do this program. I'm wondering about any financial aid packages including grants that might be offered. Anyone have any luck with that?

Bernadette MacLeod
    East Mecklenburg High School
    NC

• 16.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 08-17-2022 09:13
    I didn't take out loans, but I've been to grad school before when I did and I just had to fill out the FAFSA to apply.

I don't know of any specific scholarships that they offer for the theatre program, but David did say there was a little money to offer my cohort (3) for the residency this past summer. But we're talking in the hundreds, so not a lot. I would contact financial aid at the school because they would know either what is available or who you should talk to to find out what is available. Several people in my cohort are able to have their employers pay for a percentage (if not all) of their tuition, so maybe also talk to your employer if you are currently teaching.  Best of luck! It's a great program.

Melissa Derechailo

• 17.  RE: MFA in Theatre Ed. at Mississippi University for Women?

Posted 08-17-2022 11:07
    I honestly haven't looked into financial aid too much because the cost of the classes is very reasonable (just over $400/ch). I think there is some money available for financial aid this fall. I encourage you to reach out to David Carter (dcarter@muw.edu) -- he's the head of the program and very approachable. I'm sure he'll be able to tell you more about opportunities for financial assistance. I'm really enjoying the program so far, especially the summer residency.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA