Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Brand New Juniors Thespians!

Posted 09-11-2020 15:59
    Good Morning Thespians!

I am teaching at a middle school this year and really excited to begin a new adventure! As of right now, the building does not have an established theatre program but combines with the partner middle school to produce shows. My ultimate goal is to establish a troupe and build a program for our 6-8 graders in this building but....baby steps.

I would like to purchase resources for our students such as scripts but wanted to see where I could begin my search for quality middle school scripts. Any title suggestions?

I am currently writing grants to assist with financial support of building the program and resources. We have a supportive building with supportive administration so I am looking to build off of the enthusiasm.

If you are an experienced wizard at running your middle school program, I would love to hear insight, tips, what to avoid...

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Teri Turner
    tturner@gvr5.net
    Missouri Thespians
    Advocacy & Awards and Grants

• 2.  RE: Brand New Juniors Thespians!

Posted 09-12-2020 12:16
    Hi Teri!
    I'm in my 3rd year of 6-8 theatre. Obviously YMMV depending on your kids and their likes, but my experience has been:
    -They love the Disney musicals, and anything with a well-known title. You can get their enthusiasm for other projects, but you don't have to worry about "buy in" if you do a proven show. The MTI Jr. Musicals are easy to produce, come with lots of support and are popular. 
    -For straight plays, I'm a fan of Lindsey Price over at Drama Teacher Academy. Her scripts are fun, accessible, topical. They feature teens and teen issues, but are well written and offer a variety of structures and genres that will offer an easy way in to more grown-up works. 

Good luck and welcome to the tribe!

Ashley Bishop
    Teacher
    Birmingham AL

• 3.  RE: Brand New Juniors Thespians!

Posted 09-14-2020 13:34
    Thank you for responding!

Completely makes sense about Disney.

Thanks for the tip on the plays at Theatrefolk.  I will look into them!

Teri Turner
    tturner@gvr5.net
    Missouri Thespians

• 4.  RE: Brand New Juniors Thespians!

Posted 09-13-2020 08:35

Hi Teri!
    I totally agree w/ Ashley. Theatrefolk not only has a ton of MS appropriate titles, but also amazing resources. By the way, I am from Missouri & began my teaching career there! Break a leg!

Take Care,
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 5.  RE: Brand New Juniors Thespians!

Posted 09-14-2020 13:37

Hey!

Thanks for responding!  It's always nice to hear from another MO person!  Break a leg!  

Teri Turner
    tturner@gvr5.net
    Missouri Thespians