Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Large Amount of Free Felt

Posted 10-14-2016 11:57

Hello, everyone. A local non-profit recently received a large donation of felt and weren't sure how it could be used. I've included a photo of the felt rolls. There are 3 trucks full of these rolls of varying thickness in grey and black. Two questions for you:

1. Any creative ideas about how this could be used?

2. Do you want it? If you do, it's free, you'd just have to pick it up (Cincinnati).

prcQJKqS864NNktuJyYQ_Felt Rolls.jpg

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 2.  RE: Large Amount of Free Felt

Posted 10-14-2016 16:46

Hi, Ginny,

From the photo, that looks like roofing felt, not the soft fabric used for crafts. I don't have a clue what to do with it   :-)    but just wanted to bring up the question.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: Large Amount of Free Felt

Posted 10-15-2016 12:20

Check for fireproofing!

It could be used like any black fabric for hiding under platforms, behind doors that open to offstage rooms, etc. 

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 4.  RE: Large Amount of Free Felt

Posted 10-16-2016 16:01

Like Warren said - Check for Fire Proofing (Retardant).  If it is not labelled and you can't determine this from the manufacturer's information, then don't use it.  It's not worth the risk.

It was the casual use of flammable foam rubber panels in the The Station Night Club, and many other large and well documented building fires, that has taken the lives of many.  Combustible materials can conflagrate at an amazing speed and produce unknown toxins, intense heat, and dense unbreathable smoke.

I just came from a HS Classroom / Black Box space that was covered with brown craft paper for a show.  I inquired as to the manufacturer, make, part number of the paper rolls, but the flap on the box had been removed and disposed-of.  There was no way to know for sure what the material was.  Most bulk craft paper manufacturers offer their products in fire retardant treated versions, however, many times the purchasing agent(s) for the school district has no clue that this is the type of paper that MUST be ordered.  I was on one HS stage that had over 100 boxed rolls of craft paper stored that were the combustible type.  The result is thousands of square feet of fuel posted all around the schools.  Add a little bit of VOC containing paint, and a spark or hot stage light, and it can all go up in flames in a few seconds.  Paper and plastic bags from the grocery store, cardboard boxes, sheet cardboard stock, etc., should always be vetted for it's fire retardancy when used in schools, particularly on the stage.

NFPA 101 Life Safety Code has, for over 100 years, required that scenery, costumes, and props be fabricated from non-combustible materials, yet rarely do I ever see any conscious effort to do this. let alone document it.  This is fundamental fire safety.  Do not provide fuel for a fire.  When your students go out to work 'in the real world' they must know that this is required for all shows (both the fire-proofing AND the documentation), and is frequently checked, and sometimes verified, by the local fire marshal.  Yes, it takes time and materials to do this, but it is much easier and less expensive to do than plant someone in the ground.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 5.  RE: Large Amount of Free Felt

Posted 10-17-2016 09:18

Absolutely, it is labeled, some of the material is flame retardant and some is not, they can make sure you select the right one!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY