Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Radio Show Script for MS

Posted 12-12-2021 10:39
    Hello friends,

I am looking for a Radio Show script, 20-30 minutes long, for some feisty 6th graders. Any ideas?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Karen Nielsen-Anson
    Theatre Teaching Artist
    McGillis School K-8
    Salt Lake City, UT

• 2.  RE: Radio Show Script for MS

Posted 12-13-2021 09:00
    Hi!

I have a couple of suggestions, and maybe they can help kickstart this process for you. First off, I only know of two plays that are geared towards radio-style performance. Those are It's a wonderful Life by Joe Landry and 1940's Radio Hour. You could probably cut together something from the latter show that would be fun. 

I would also like to throw out to you that you have your students make it up themselves. That way you could tailor how long it is, and maybe tie it into some other curricuum they are going through in other classes. You could have them listen to Prairie Home Companion or The Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast for inspiration. My thought would be to have them retell a famous fairy tale or other childrens story using just their voices and foley effects. This could be a really fun unit for your class! I may or may not steal it for next semester.

Kevin Brown
    Excelsior Classical Academy

• 3.  RE: Radio Show Script for MS

Posted 12-14-2021 05:31
     Prairie Home Companion scripts are available for free on their website. When we sid them, we were granted permission for no royalty fees because they were for educational use. Very fun! Songs. Commercials, scenes, all in one place. I also did a terrific Invisible Man radio show, available from Dramatic Publishing. Only 9 actors, though.

• 4.  RE: Radio Show Script for MS

Posted 12-14-2021 08:38
    Several years ago, we performed SEEK by Paul Fleischman as our fall play.   It was a young adult novel, written as dialogue, intended to be a radio play, I believe - and we asked for permission to stage it.  Since then, he has adapted it for the stage and it is licensed through Dramatic Publishing.   Here's the synopsis from their website:

Rob Radkovitz, a high-school senior, is assigned to write his autobiography. He decides to "listen" back on his life and hears his grandmother's mystery novels, Mexican soap operas, shortwave announcers, his multilingual mother, and his rabble-rousing grandfather. Most cherished of all, he hears the voice of his absent DJ father, from a single tape of one of his radio shows. We follow Rob's search for his father from grammar school on, a man he's heard but never seen. It's a quest pursued not through San Francisco's streets but through the labyrinth of the airwaves, amid the chatter of baseball announcers, late-night DJs, and the thrillingly distant world of shortwave. Psychic readers, pirate DJs, friends, and teachers join Rob's family in an aural collage that's as joyfully comic as it is compelling. Seek is a hymn to the mystery of voices and the crucible of family. It can be easily staged as readers theatre or as a radio broadcast. Based on Paul Fleischman's book which, among its accolades, was an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and a School Library Journal Best Book of the Year.

Melissa Mintzer
    Penn Manor High School