Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  From Start to Strike: A Module/Unit for the Whole Theatre Experience

Posted 01-13-2021 15:41
    Happy New Year and welcome back to a new semester!

First of all a shout out to some of the hardest working people on the planet right now. Thanks for all you are doing to engage and support your students with the arts.

So, I teach Theatre Methods to preservice theatre students prior to student teaching. I've been given the green light to write an Online Methods class by my dean. I'm trying to look at the course through the lens of maybe a busy theatre teacher (possibly already working) that is looking for alternative licensing credit or picking up certification to step into teaching theatre.

Thinking back on your college experience and methods class would you answer a couple of questions for me?

1. What are the essential things you wished you knew before stepping into the classroom?
    2. What are the most important things you think a theatre teacher should learn about in a methods class?

And lastly, I think one of the most valuable projects maybe something like, From Start to Strike: A Module/Unit for the Whole
    Theatre Experience. Do any of you have a project from college you would share with me for some ideas? Please share, attach, or send them to my email. saxton@dixie.edu

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas as I try to help our community!

Regards,

Russ

------------------------------
    Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor

• 2.  RE: From Start to Strike: A Module/Unit for the Whole Theatre Experience

Posted 01-14-2021 08:52
    One of the things that my high school teacher taught me (as she was my mentor on my first teaching job) was how/where to find scripts and how to pay royalties.  The business aspects of theatre were such a huge learning curve the first year I was in a classroom.

Also, safety protocols within schools--each school is different as far as what students are allowed to do--such as power tools, ladders, that sort of thing.  Something to look into.

Hope that helps,
    Holly

Holly Thompson
    Worthington Kilbourne High School

• 3.  RE: From Start to Strike: A Module/Unit for the Whole Theatre Experience

Posted 01-14-2021 09:37
    Holly,

Great idea. Thank you for your suggestions and for taking the time to post. 

Russ

Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor

• 4.  RE: From Start to Strike: A Module/Unit for the Whole Theatre Experience

Posted 01-16-2021 13:20
    Russ-
    Great that you are pursuing this preparation for teaching theater production.  There are many aspects to include and instill in a course covering the arc of theatre production. A couple areas that are essential to include in the mix are technical production, and theatre safety and health.  Here are two resources you might find useful for these areas.

I just read the review of An Introduction to Technical Theatre, by Tal Sanders, which I've attached.  My initial review of the free pdf version available online encouraged me to order a copy.  I think the contents of the overview of technical production in the theatre might fit in well with your course.

I authored a book on theatre safety, Safety and Heath for the Stage, which emphasizes the need for safety and health to be an essential aspect of theatre production, and focuses on safety programs, compliance, and risk assessment as means to identify and mitigate hazards throughout the entire theatre production process.  I've attached a review of my book that appeared in Protocol, an entertainment trade journal.  Safety and Health for the Stage is available from Routledge: https://www.routledge.com/Safety-and-Health-for-the-Stage-Collaboration-with-the-Production-Process/Reynolds/p/book/9780815353263

I hope you find these resources helpful. Best wishes with your course development.

Wishing you safety and health.
    Bill

Bill Reynolds (he.him.his)
    Lecturer in Theater Safety & Health
    Yale School of Drama/Yale Repertory Theatre
    203-314-1543---cell
    Bill.reynolds@yale.edu
    Author: Safety and Health for the Stage

Attachment(s)