Open Forum

View Only

Warm Up Activities

• 1.  Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-03-2018 11:54
    As we begin the new semester, I am on the hunt for some new warm up activities or ensemble-building activities for my students.  There are lots that I have done with my students in the past, but I feel like I need to inject my repertoire with some new ones.  Optimally, these would be exercises to get students engaged and energized at the beginning of class or rehearsal.  These are some that we do routinely:
    1. Zip Zap Zop
    2. Kitty Wants a Corner
    3. Big Booty
    4. Do You Love Your Neighbor?
    5. Honey, If You Love Me
    6. Fast Numbers
    7. Name 5 Things
    8. The Animal Game
    9. Yee-Haw
    10. Splat
    11. Hands
    12. Claps
    13. Wah

I'm also happy to provide descriptions of any of the above if someone is interested.

Thanks for your help!

------------------------------
    Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

• 2.  RE: Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-03-2018 15:01
    Martha
    Dude, where's my iPhone?
    Pass the Hula  Hoop
    Whoosh

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-05-2018 08:19
    I would love descriptions of these warm-ups. I love to add to mine. Can you email me? Cdougherty@delsearegional.us or Can I email you?

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-03-2018 15:24
    I spent a lot of time last year at PACE Youth Theatre in Paisley, Scotland. They had some fantastic warm-up activities. What really stood out to me was that the activities not only energized students, increased their level of focus, and brought them together as an ensemble; they also were specifically set-up to help them develop their characters in the show. For example, they were doing The Monstrum, a one-act play which took place in the brutal winters of an Eastern European country. So they played a game called Ice-Rat-Wolf (which could be adapted for any production) in which they chose one particular category and then every member of the ensemble needed to physicalize that category. So, for instance, Actor A chooses "wolf." Actor A physicalizes "wolf," and every member of the ensemble needs to do the same. Actor A then passes the energy to Actor B who chooses "rat" and the game repeats. (You see find video footage of this game here.) This was advantageous because, in the actual production, all of the ensemble members needed to portray wolves during a dance number, rats during various transition sequences, and needed to be freezing . . . well, pretty much all the time. So this really helped them hone in on their physicality.

I wrote an entire blog entry about PACE's methodology here. They were under the direction of Mhairi Gilbert at the time who's absolutely amazing. Highly recommend checking out her work.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 5.  RE: Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-08-2018 14:09
    ​Hi. I too would love descriptions of your warm up activities. Could you send them to pmaranian@nmusd.us please? I do use some of these but it is always fun to see how someone else uses them.

Thank you so much.

Pauline Maranian
    Costa Mesa CA

• 6.  RE: Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-09-2018 07:37

Me too! I am familiar with some but not all. 

Thank you! 

drowe@hoover.k12.al.us

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 7.  RE: Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-09-2018 08:49
    Can I jump on that, too, for descriptions?  mccaink@greenhill.org
    Thanks for posting this thread.

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 8.  RE: Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-10-2018 10:56
    Always looking for more goodies too!

Thank you kindly!

--
    A. W. Miller
    Theatre Arts Director
    I.T.S. Troupe #1523 Director

Private Acting Lessons from Dramedy Acting

All Things Zombie: Original T-Shirts, Games, Movies, and More!

Read: The Sad Man by A. W. Miller

• 9.  RE: Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-10-2018 12:54
    Me, too; I want in on the warm-up sharing fun!  If you don't mind sharing, I'd love an instruction email, also.

jeanetteowens@pickens.k12.sc.us

Thanks in advance!

Jeanette Owens
    Theatre and Performing Arts
    Easley High School
    Easley SC

• 10.  RE: Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-11-2018 11:07
    Ensemble Experiences for Warmups, Focus, Relaxation, Building Chemistry, Cool downs, Bell Ringers, Examples to Demonstrate a NCAS Element, etc. etc. I have a list of ensemble experiences which can be used for many elements of group creative innovations. My classrooms and rehearsal halls are built on the premise that actors and technical staff members who create a sound ensemble working with physical and vocal communications have appreciation of the person who is ready to “play.”
    I love sharing Enticing, Expressive Ensemble Experiences as workshops for teachers and students. Then provide a model to guide students into their creating “win-win” experiences and who lead group exercises. That way I have leaders who can become partners in leading vetted experiences.
    If you would like a list of my experiences and guidelines, send me a Community note or email, and I can provide.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 11.  RE: Warm Up Activities

Posted 01-26-2018 09:19
      |   view attached
    It took me a bit to get these all typed up, but these are the descriptions of the ways that my students and I do these activities.  I'm sure there are lots of different ways to play them or that some groups have different names for the activities.  I'm still on the hunt for more exercises similar to these.  If anyone has a favorite, please send the title and description my way.

Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

Attachment(s)

docx
    Warm Up Exercises.docx   18 KB 1 version