Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Heidi Chronicles

Posted 08-21-2017 09:29
    Has anyone ever directed this in high school? Would it be considered appropriate for high school students?

------------------------------
    Stephen Ingle
    Drama Teacher
    Jefferson High School
    Jefferson, GA

• 2.  RE: The Heidi Chronicles

Posted 08-22-2017 09:15
    I love The Heidi Chronicles and anything written by Wendy W. Having directed the show once for community theatre and taught it twice in class (great short scenes for character work!), I am not sure that I would direct it with high school students for a general audience.  I think it would be hard to edit the language - when I directed for the community an elderly man who was friends with the actress who played Lisa remarked, "I'm glad that you didn't have to say all those bad words." When I think about younger siblings who may watch the show - for me it gets a little dicey. 

It is a show that needs to be seen, read and studied.  I taught it last year during March (women's history moth) and so many young women don't realize the discrimination that our mothers and grandmothers went through.

You know your community and I have heard that Heidi.. has been presented on other high school stages so if you do decide to direct it, I would love to see a follow up post as to how it was received.

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, MD